Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth setup question

I have a Sena sm10 and a set of Sena s20 headsets on my rts. Not very happy with the constant static and cutting in and out, so I wanted to try a different Bluetooth transmitter. I went to Best Buy and bought a Mee audio connect unit. Install was two seconds and connects just as easy, however the high limit of the volume is mediocre at best. Would barely be audible on the road, so back to the drawing board. Anyone using a non Sena Bluetooth transmitter with good success? Prefer it use micro use for power and 3.5 mm input capable.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default sena sm 10

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I have a Sena sm10 and a set of Sena s20 headsets on my rts. Not very happy with the constant static and cutting in and out, so I wanted to try a different Bluetooth transmitter. I went to Best Buy and bought a Mee audio connect unit. Install was two seconds and connects just as easy, however the high limit of the volume is mediocre at best. Would barely be audible on the road, so back to the drawing board. Anyone using a non Sena Bluetooth transmitter with good success? Prefer it use micro use for power and 3.5 mm input capable.

I had same noise prob. I unplugged power from bike and used my bat.backup pac. no more noise

Spyder Garage

Default hmm, that's an interesting idea

Quote Originally Posted by zman View Post
    I had same noise prob. I unplugged power from bike and used my bat.backup pac. no more noise
    I'll have to give that a try. Do you have you battery pack plugged in and charging while in use, or just connected to the sm10?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where is your SM10 ?????
    is it in front or in back?
    That may be your problem
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 07-29-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default It is in the front trunk

My sm10 was installed by dealer in front trunk. I know some have said that it works better in rear trunk, but that makes no sense to me? Same rough distance to my helmet s20, same amount of Tupperware to penetrate with Bluetooth signal?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, put it in the trunk per MC Dave's and finless's instructions and then follow instructions to boost volume. Problem solved.

Spyder Garage

Try a couple of Ferrite Cores.
    One on the power line and one one the audio line.
    Only a few $$$ and may do the trick.
    Did on mine

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

He's looking for a transmitter solution.
    Lamonster is selling a "receiver."

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

It's interesting to note as I have in several threads that some owners have poor performance from the SM10 in the frunk and others don't. Mine is right there on the metal beacket atop the battery door and it works fine. I don't do electrons very well though; that's why I have no idea why the situations exist.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, it is strange

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    It's interesting to note as I have in several threads that some owners have poor performance from the SM10 in the frunk and others don't. Mine is right there on the metal beacket atop the battery door and it works fine. I don't do electrons very well though; that's why I have no idea why the situations exist.
    Mine is installed in the same spot. I'm tending to lean towards an install issue. Possibly a nicked wire, linked wire or something of that nature.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Mine is installed in the same spot. I'm tending to lean towards an install issue. Possibly a nicked wire, linked wire or something of that nature.
    You can chase that all you want with nicked wire or whatever. Trust after helping many with the issue you exactly explain, you need to move it to the rear trunk. As to why... It's because the harness is not shielded and runs past the engine and a bunch of other harnesses that "can" produce noise.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default TROND BT-DUO

I use a TROND BT-DUO bluetooth transmitter/receiver on my F3L. Love it. $29 via Amazon.

Spyder Garage

In my case it appears that location or nicked wires have nothing to do with my transmission problems, my RT-L just doesn't like Bluetooth. My dealer installed the Sena transmitter for free after I bought it from them. It doesn't matter if it is in the front or back, the transmission cuts out for 4 or 5 seconds at least once per minute, usually more often. I tried the Trond device and get the same problem (and it has static that the Sena doesn't have). The dealer tried it with their own headset and the problem remains (eliminating the head set as the problem). I've even used my phone's BT as the source. If the phone is in my pocket there's no problem. But as soon as I place it anywhere IN the bike the cutouts returns.

The dealer has contacted BRP but they were no help.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks
    2017 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I have the exact same setup. I had nothing but trouble until I moved the transmitter to the rear trunk. Since then it has been flawless. Keep in mind that Bluetooth is a radio transmission and therefore is susceptible to interference. Having it in the rear places it, and your helmet receiver, behind the high powered ignition system of the bike. Less interference. Move it to the rear. You'll be happy with it.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default Sena static help

Our Sena 20's have a lot of static. Any ideas how to get rid of it besides getting rid of the Senas?