Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride Report - Charlotte on Charlotte

My Spyder's name is Charlotte. Yes, it's a literary reference--and a movie we all cried at (admit it, it will make you feel better to be honest). However, she can't read. So, she wanted to visit the town that's her namesake.

Okay, that's not true. The trip is to go pick up a new (to me) used trailer from a bloke named Jerry, yes over in Charlotte. It all kind of happened quickly, first a buddy asked if I wanted to go to a Rally in Maggie Valley. Room was already paid for, and his wife bailed on him (foreshadowing). Speaking of domestic disturbances, see below... more on that later.

But the tale really revolved around me finding a trailer to pull behind Charlotte used... in Charlotte. Seemed like fate. Rally in NC. Trailer in NC. Charlotte... you get the idea. Feels like kismet. So, let's tear the Spyder apart and rewire stuff, and I don't know. It just seems every time a trip is on the horizon, the bike has to look like this a few days ahead of time!

...to be continued...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is ther going to be a web involved in this story?

Some Pig.jpg

I can't wait to see what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Since my Spyder goes by the same name(from the same source) I have to see how this is going to turn out. Don't keep us waiting too long.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks for riding along folks!

Bob, spider webs would be a different story, back to a time about a week after bringing the F3-S home--and part of the impetus for her name. Let's just say the black widow painted on the saddle bag is in memorial to the first time I had to tear all the tupperware off the body (glad I didn't buy a RT).

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After years of listening to Paul Harvey, I'm waiting for "The Rest of the Story"!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
    Thanks for riding along folks!

Bob, spider webs would be a different story, back to a time about a week after bringing the F3-S home--and part of the impetus for her name. Let's just say the black widow painted on the saddle bag is in memorial to the first time I had to tear all the tupperware off the body (glad I didn't buy a RT).

that sucker is HUGE

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Well, about 3 days before heading out, my buddy calls me up. "Hey, have you looked at the weather forecast for next weekend?"

Me, "No, why?"

"Well, they're showing rain all weekend for Maggie Valley," said my buddy. "Last year, it rained and that was no fun. I don't like riding in the rain. Why are you hard-core, would you go anyways?"

"I took the time off work, of course I'm going. Plus I have to pick up the trailer in Charlotte. With Charlotte," I replied.

"I'm not going to go, sorry." Foreshadowing fulfilled.

So, my daughter asked if she could go since it was no longer a 'guys' weekend. I enjoy spending time with my daughter, so out with the loser buddy, in with the baby-girl!

Up at the crack of before dawn, try to beat the rush-hour traffic out of town, first stop is breakfast in Gainsville!

"Huddle House, throw everything together and put it on a biscuit, please!"

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

(To be continued).............today....................so on

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's getting pretty good!
    (What happens next? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I can't hold my breath much longer!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Next? Miles and smyles! Myles and smiles! Can't decide which looks better.

Got a new action cam to try out on the trip. The new Sony with the built in image stabilization, not just digital IS like the GoPro--we'll see if we get enough good footage to splice together at the end.

Saw this at one of the 'pauses' during the day. Made me wonder if I picked the right mode of transportation as the heat index was pushing a hundred. Someone sure has a case of two-foot-itis...

To give some insight into my baby-girl's wonderful, slightly twisted mind, at this same stop we indulged in some fruity snacks (with 8% REAL juice). She started calling out,

"Diseased lungs... tainted liver... mad-cow brain..." to describe the oddly colored little snack morsels.

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

But the main event, the highlight of the day, the pièce de résistance was a stop that my daughter had requested. She had found a map of the United States that had the most curious named towns, one for each state. And for South Carolina, it was Sugar Tit. Sugar Tit, SC. Yup. Not much remains of this little unincorporated little cross road, except a race track, and a Moonshine Distillery. We chose the distillery.

I don't recall the name of our hostess, please don't tell her I forgot if you decide to stop by for your own tasting of what I now believe to be some of the best moonshine you'll ever have. Straight up 100 proof, or flavored with their own sweet fruit infusions. At one time the first and only moonshine made with a 6 window flute distiller in South Carolina. Or so I was told.

Well, you can see all 6 windows behind us as my daughter does her best "Vanna" pose.

This is their 'redneck cooling recirculator" made with a Coleman cooler and a window air conditioner! If they'd used a Yeti, I might have had to borrow it for my (hopefully my) new used, but new to me, trailer.

Mission accomplished! We visited Sugar Tit. Baby-girl gots a t-shirt to prove it, so she's happy. Miles are getting long now, so not so many smiles. How much further to Charlotte?

...to be continued...
    Last edited by malibu_dan; 07-28-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

One of the non-fuel stopportunities along the way that grabbed my daughter's attention was the town of Cowpens, SC. Named for Cowpens National Battlefield, the location of a pivotal battle for independence against the regular British army. Daniel Morgan led the troops, and used a classic military tactic, known as a double envelopment--it was one of only a few in history, and the only successful time this particular flanking maneuver was used in the American Revolution. You can read more about it here >> https://www.nps.gov/cowp/learn/histo...of-cowpens.htm

Our purpose was not to see history, well not in the above sense. We thought the name was curious and they had some quaint antique shops--a different slice of history.

See? The flag says it's "Historic"...

How about a selfie with baby-girl?

No, honey... we're riding a Spyder...

That's IT!

We spent the next hour perusing around the shops, looking at things that could never fit into the over-stuffed Spyder. "Maybe we can come back on the way home when we have the trailer, Dad!" We did meet a wonderful shop keeper, Cindy I believe was her name, at the Sweet Pea shop. She's a little camera shy, and ducked when she realized I was framing up a picture. Stop in and see her if you're ever in the area.

I know one of you wants this for your man cave...

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

We slabbed it into a traffic jam in Charlotte, NC to finish out day one. Well, not quite the finish.

Our home for the next couple of days...

Figured we better get some food, but when I walked out of the hotel I was greeted by this.

These nice officers wanted to speak to a Mr. Rodriquez. I don't know if they were able to convince him to refocus his efforts, because the next day there were 5 squad cars gracing our hotel.

Well some dinner, I believe, was in order.

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

Do you know what Mr. Rodriquez did?

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Our fine officers were tight lipped. I only gleaned our unfortunate friends name through stealth and eavesdropping.

Spyder Garage

It is Friday. Friday is all about getting the trailer.

Meet Jerry. Jerry is a Goldwing owner who bought a tow-behind Aluma Trailer from a buddy 10 years ago. Jerry's only used the trailer 3 times in 10 years, so now I want to make it my trailer.

As we chatted and I crawled around under the trailer, Jerry confessed he was having some seller's remorse last night. I quickly hand the cash to his wife, and hook up the trailer. Just incase I have to make a quick exit.

The trailer will need a few things tweaked, but it looks to be in great shape.

I don't take time to hook up the plug, I just ran the wiring harness without terminating it on the bike--turns out my thought was true, Jerry had rewired the connector to match up to the harness on his Goldwing. We'll take care of it at the hotel.

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

Back at the hotel. Is there a glimpse of shade? Maybe around back. Seems Mr. Rodriquez has attracted a crowd today--5 squad cars. I thought we were in the good part of town...

To work!

Red wire, blue wire, brown wire, smoo wire. My baby-girl is smart. Let's put her to work.

Gave her the wiring schematic for the trailer. She cut into the harness to cross reference the cross-overs to the plug colors. Gave her the schematic for the wiring harness from our sponsor, Electrical Connections. She told me what to hook to which. I didn't second guess or double check. Her score? 100! A+! Perfect the first time!

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

That is a great story!!!
    from another charlotte owner
    '17 pearl white rt ltd bought at killeen power sports
    Ron's sway bar
    front cowl
    driver's backrest
    passenger armrests
    mudflap
    bumpskid
    luggage rack
    fobo tpm

Spyder Garage

in honor of so far your story is...T-E-E-R-R-I-I-F-F-I-I-C-C
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Thanks ATX and 3 Wheel! Texas is in da' howse!

Charlotte is the perfect Spyder name, just sayin'.

Spyder Garage

So, it was hot. Baby-girl was an electrical engineer extraordinaire. She deserved a chilly prize, so frozen yogurt hunting we go!

She thought the googly-eyed frog was sublime. The yogurt was good as well, with fresh fruit for topping!

Truth was, we had some time to kill. In Charlotte. And all the police were back at the hotel. But... let's not get reckless, so we just hung out for a while until it was time to meet some friends for dinner. We visited some of the municipal parks, and found a beautiful one--but we only shot video there. Sorry. Trust me, it was beautiful, and we were funny (on video).

Thunderstorms threatened, so we retreated to the hotel, and had our friends pick us up there. Destination? Some Vietnamese restaurant... 200 yards from the hotel. Guess we're not going to see much of Charlotte.

Is that a giant communion wafer?

It's actually the rice paper you use to wrap a fresh spring roll.

You dip it in this skinny fish bowl with hot water in it. Then you fill it with the tofu, fresh veggies, and soy/peanut sauce. Wrap it up, and enjoy. It's actually much harder than it sounds. Paper is really sticky and uncooperative.

Ken is an old friend who goes back to the days in Memphis. His girlfriend wasn't feeling well, so we cut the evening short and decided we'd meet up for breakfast in the a.m. before Ellen and I headed out of town.

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

Start the day with a good breakfast and good conversation! I'm sure there's some Chinese proverb about that one.

Yes, my daughter is wearing her Sugar Tit Moonshine tshirt. She got lots of attention from that. Lots of stolen cell phone pics, thinking her father won't notice.

My buddy Ken was making fun of the sheepskin seat covers.

Okay, let's hit the road! Miles and smyles to go! Next stop, a giant peach!

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

Someone told her about a giant peach, so off we go. At least it's in the general direction of the mountains...

What is that girl taking a picture of now?

Yup, it's a giant peach.

We were running back roads, but the Peachoid (or so it's labeled on Google), is by the interstate. We came up over the overpass and it looked like it was on the left side of the interstate. So, we turned around, found the service road, and tooled along to find the monstrosity. Nope, the interstate curves near Gaffney, SC, and it's actually on the north side of the interstate. Miles and miles of service road.

The plaque calls it Millwood Park, but I like Peachoid better!

Let's throw a little lens flare in for good measure.

In the background of the first pic you'll notice a building. It's a restaurant, called Fatz (no comments from the peanut gallery, @red bud), with some of the best chicken fingers ever. They call them Calabash chicken. Try 'em, you'll see.

No pictures of the chicken, it didn't last long enough. Here's some salad for ya' instead.

And a roll.

...to be continued...

Spyder Garage

Our favorite leprechaun, @red bud, said to take Rte 11 back toward Gawja. He is many things, but I've never known him to be a fibber. Beautiful road. Not a ton of photos of the scenery, hopefully got some good video of the road. One interesting stop along the way was Strawberry Hill. A little crossroads with a strawberry farm on one side of the road, and an ice cream parlor on the other. Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, but we weren't really hungry yet. However there was a clutter of Spyders, we must investigate.

They must be chasing some brain freeze in here...

Oh, look! They came out to wave.

A few of them followed us for a while, until we made a questionable right turn on red. Miles and smyles!

By the time we got to our destination, Toccoa Falls, baby girl was exhausted. She crashed in the hotel room while I offloaded footage and snaps from the cameras. I let her sleep a while, but by the time she woke up hungry, the town had rolled up the sidewalks. When all else fails, there's a Taco Bell open somewhere.

The hotel had a semi-adopted stray tabby, so she had to bring back a dang chicken case-a-dill-ahhhh for the flea farm.

No, you can't bring it home in the trailer.

Best hotel in town. Mostly because the other one is torn apart for remodeling.

...to be continued...