Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default F3-T: Accessing the Rear Tire Valve

My 2016 F3-T has permanent non-removable (as far as I can tell) storage bins on each side of the back seat.

These make it difficult to get to the rear tire to even simply check the tire pressure. So, does anyone know of any tricks to gain access to the rear tire valve more easily? I'm an old fart who isn't able to get down to floor level and back up that easily. I can get to the front tire valves OK of course, but the rear tire is too long a reach for me.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

All big touring bikes have the same problem RT,Goldwing,Harley Ultra. Royal Star Venture, Indian,they all have the same problem,PITA to check rear air. I went to my local Harley dealer and bought a valve stem extender for a Harley Ultra. It is about $10.00 (maybe a little more now been a couple of years since I bought it).Anyway you can screw this on and it makes it much easier to check the air. It is also a Zero loss unit so what you see is what you have. It is about 6" long and I keep it with my air gauge.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...stem-extension

and still the same price amazing
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 07-28-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    All big touring bikes have the same problem RT,Goldwing,Harley Ultra. Royal Star Venture, Indian,they all have the same problem,PITA to check rear air. I went to my local Harley dealer and bought a valve stem extender for a Harley Ultra. It is about $10.00 (maybe a little more now been a couple of years since I bought it).Anyway you can screw this on and it makes it much easier to check the air. It is also a Zero loss unit so what you see is what you have. It is about 6" long and I keep it with my air gauge.

I have and use the same thing.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Add a set of FOBO sensors to your bike and check the pressure from your kitchen before you ride.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Add a set of FOBO sensors to your bike and check the pressure from your kitchen before you ride.....

Ditto!
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

+2 on this. I use it on the fronts as well.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Who has the best price?
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    My 2016 F3-T has permanent non-removable (as far as I can tell) storage bins on each side of the back seat.

These make it difficult to get to the rear tire to even simply check the tire pressure. So, does anyone know of any tricks to gain access to the rear tire valve more easily? I'm an old fart who isn't able to get down to floor level and back up that easily. I can get to the front tire valves OK of course, but the rear tire is too long a reach for me.

Thanks.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-...et-of-3-black/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been considering this, but I don't have a smartphone and don't want one. (Yes - You can call me a Luddite.) Do the FOBO sensors work with an iPad though? (THAT I have.)

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

FOBOs as well as the Garmin TPMS option for my GPS are nice to have but are really just shuffling the deck furniture on the Titanic, IMO. If the TPMS says you have a tire that is low you still have to get down on the floor and do the inflation routine. On my tires the valve stems seldom are in the best position for me to check and add air if necessary. That means at least once a week the tires get a 360 roll around and tread inspection before I do a pressure check. I think I learned that in some class somewhere. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Been considering this, but I don't have a smartphone and don't want one. (Yes - You can call me a Luddite.) Do the FOBO sensors work with an iPad though? (THAT I have.)

Thanks.
    Yes, they will work with an ipad. There is an IOS version of the app to install.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    FOBOs as well as the Garmin TPMS option for my GPS are nice to have but are really just shuffling the deck furniture on the Titanic, IMO. If the TPMS says you have a tire that is low you still have to get down on the floor and do the inflation routine. On my tires the valve stems seldom are in the best position for me to check and add air if necessary. That means at least once a week the tires get a 360 roll around and tread inspection before I do a pressure check. I think I learned that in some class somewhere. YMMV.

I check the air pressures on mine and Louise's bikes every time we ride. I can go weeks to months before needing to add any air to them....except for the rear shock on her F3T. By not removing the cap and not loosing air to check them, the do not loose pressure.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All big touring bikes have the same problem RT,Goldwing,Harley Ultra. Royal Star Venture, Indian,they all have the same problem,PITA to check rear air. I went to my local Harley dealer and bought a valve stem extender for a Harley Ultra. It is about $10.00 (maybe a little more now been a couple of years since I bought it).Anyway you can screw this on and it makes it much easier to check the air. It is also a Zero loss unit so what you see is what you have. It is about 6" long and I keep it with my air gauge. https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...stem-extension and still the same price amazing
    I'll have to check that out, thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You can do this .... When you need to get a new rear tire .... I put an 85 degree angle steel tire valve ( from Kurvygirl.com ) on the other side of the rim ..... you need to put this at least 2 inches in from the curved part of the rim to facilitate tire removal and putting it on ..... get the STEEL one ..... Mike
    I can't quite picture what you are suggesting. Do you have a link or a picture?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's what I use as well, works perfectly and cheap too!

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Permanent mount valve extenders

Has anyone tried anything like this? They also come in a 45-degree bend.

2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Has anyone tried anything like this? They also come in a 45-degree bend.

Hmm....Looks interesting. Got a link?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmm....Looks interesting. Got a link?
    This is one on Amazon. They have a bunch of different types, styles, angles, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Fontic-Motorc...xtension&psc=1
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This is one on Amazon. They have a bunch of different types, styles, angles, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Fontic-Motorc...xtension&psc=1
    Thanks for that link. But, after reading some of the reviews, I wonder whether it's a good idea to leave it on the valve stem. Some say that it destroyed the valve stem, and another says that it's puts the tire out of balance.

Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Default S & G

I use a Stop & Go (stopngo.com) product to easily check the tire pressures on my F3S and on my previous two-wheelers. IMHO, it should also work on the F3-T. The product is the EZ-Air Tire Gauge (quick release with gauge). The gauge-less version is the 10-inch Mini-Air Compressor Air Hose Extension w/Quick Release. The valve stem is on the sprocket side of the rear wheel and is accessible through the opening in the sprocket when the valve stem is at it's lowest point. Hope this answers your question.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that link. But, after reading some of the reviews, I wonder whether it's a good idea to leave it on the valve stem. Some say that it destroyed the valve stem, and another says that it's puts the tire out of balance.Thoughts?
    Yeah, that's why I was asking if anyone had tried it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Tricks

Thanks.
    Back the Spyder up on a car ramp. Thus, giving you better access. Also, when the tire wears out, replace the valve stem with a right-angled valve stem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tire valve access on a Touring F3?

Go check the rear tire pressures on a couple of RTs, and then be thankful for what you've got!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that link. But, after reading some of the reviews, I wonder whether it's a good idea to leave it on the valve stem. Some say that it destroyed the valve stem, and another says that it's puts the tire out of balance. Thoughts?
    I'm inclined to agree with you. One of the products states clearly that it's for steel stems only, not the rubber ones. I'm going to check into Blue Knight's solution.
    2014 RTL Platinum