Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Riding gear

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    The wife and I just picked up these on sale hers $49 mine $69.

I been using that jacket for the past 2 1/2 years. No complaints.

2014 Spyder ST Limited - Black Currant

"Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it"

Spyder Garage

Default Go with Joe

I have the Joe Rocket armoured for me and my wife , we always wear them when on any highway or road 80 km per hour or more ( definitely on 401) and when it's cooler weather . We have fluorescent rain suits packed in the Givi side bags as well. We do Ryde with no jackets in ( Oshawa, Bomanville ) etc if it's really hot out ... but it feels a little scary sometimes even at lower speeds with cars and trucks. Buzzing around . GP Bikes and Royal distributing often have sales on with great discounts, I think we got both jackets for a little over $500

Spyder Garage

There's a lot of research out there that supports the idea that while mesh, kevlar, & leather, etc can protect against the heat & cold, scrapes & road rash sorta stuff with varying degrees of success, it's actually the armour you wear that helps mitigate the broken bones & traumatised joints/tissue damage that contact with anything at speed can bring!

Since ryding on a Spyder is very similar to riding a two wheeled bike in that if anything goes wrong & you come off it or get hit by/hit anything, then the very first thing you contact at speed is likely to be the scenery or surrounds, whatever that/they may be.... ie there is nothing between you & said scenery/surrounding traffic/roadside obstacles etc! So wearing gear with appropriate temperature control & slide protection features is a great idea to help with temperature control & reducing slide damage, but if you want to be protected pretty much at all from the 'contact injuries' that are far more likely on a Spyder vs while driving a car, IF you have an 'accident', then it's the armour in/on/under your gear that will be saving you or at least minimising the damage & so is extremely important to your continued well being!

But really, just like wearing helmets, it all comes back to this.... if you think your limbs, body, or head etc is worth protecting at all, then you'll get & wear the best & most comprehensive protective gear you can afford all the time you are exposing any of those bits to risk, & if that means wearing a mesh jacket & kevlar lined jeans etc, WITH armour or without armour, whenever you ryde, then so be it! If you don't value them or don't think there's any risk to them, then don't wear the gear!

It's all down to how much you value yourself & how significant the risks you think you might be facing may be! What was the old saying??! $5 brain? Then wear a $5 bucket! Similarly, $5 body? Then wear $5 armour/gear & ultimately, a $5 bag! Your choice, your risk.... except where 'the State' has intervened!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've been riding in the Deep South for about 2 decades now, on BMWs and now Spyders. IMO, the high heat and equally high humidity will drive you to some trade-offs down here.

For most of the past years, my warm weather outfit was a pair of Diamond Gusset Defender jeans, with Kevlar cloth in the butt, hips, and knees (helps prevent road rash in the event of a spill). For the upper body, I wore a Draggin' Jeans Kevlar mesh shirt on top of a cotton t-shirt (again, to help prevent road rash). Note, no armor in any of this. My main consideration was breathability in high humidity.

I recently replaced the Kevlar mesh shirt with a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket with armor. It comes with a removable plastic rain liner that also acts as a windbreaker in cooler weather. (Tip: don't buy the new Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion jacket that the stores are currently pushing. It actually move less air.) A good alternative would be a Firstgear Mesh Tex mesh jacket.

As for gloves -- avoid black if you can, look for natural tan. I found some tan deerskin gloves at Tractor Supply (I paid about $20 in the store). Deerskin also breathes better than cowhide and is softer and more flexible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dear Ann, I'm sorry you felt I was attacking you, and I can't see how you even arrived at that idea..... IMHO anyone who wears shorts on a Mtc is less than intelligent ..... and thanks for the invite to Vegas , I look forward to visiting with You and Joe..... ...... Mike
    Mike I didn't think you were attacking me personally I was just standing up for all the geared up BMW riders. Come on out and we will show you a hot time.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Gear

My wife and I both have those Bilt Jackets in white. When really hot out we wear the Bilt Cooling vests underneath which slows the evaporation and the air flow is like air conditioning. Re-wet the cool vests at gas stops and makes for a much more enjoyable ride. We also have the mesh shirts from walmart with the reflective striping like flaggers wear (Long Sleeve) which we sometimes wear in place of the Bilt Jackets with the same results. Only run t-shirts on short trips around town.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    My wife and I both have those Bilt Jackets in white. When really hot out we wear the Bilt Cooling vests underneath which slows the evaporation and the air flow is like air conditioning. Re-wet the cool vests at gas stops and makes for a much more enjoyable ride. We also have the mesh shirts from walmart with the reflective striping like flaggers wear (Long Sleeve) which we sometimes wear in place of the Bilt Jackets with the same results. Only run t-shirts on short trips around town.
    Does the Bilt Jacket come in women's cut? I only see unisex on their website.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Bob, I could not help but to notice how much better looking you are with a helmet on! It must be one of your wife's home improvement plans.

Joe
    Don't think that's actually Bob in pic,
    is missing strip of bacon out of visor!
    (its not permanently there but refreshed often)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I've been riding in the Deep South for about 2 decades now, on BMWs and now Spyders. IMO, the high heat and equally high humidity will drive you to some trade-offs down here. For most of the past years, my warm weather outfit was a pair of Diamond Gusset Defender jeans, with Kevlar cloth in the butt, hips, and knees (helps prevent road rash in the event of a spill). For the upper body, I wore a Draggin' Jeans Kevlar mesh shirt on top of a cotton t-shirt (again, to help prevent road rash). Note, no armor in any of this. My main consideration was breathability in high humidity. I recently replaced the Kevlar mesh shirt with a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket with armor. It comes with a removable plastic rain liner that also acts as a windbreaker in cooler weather. (Tip: don't buy the new Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion jacket that the stores are currently pushing. It actually move less air.) A good alternative would be a Firstgear Mesh Tex mesh jacket. As for gloves -- avoid black if you can, look for natural tan. I found some tan deerskin gloves at Tractor Supply (I paid about $20 in the store). Deerskin also breathes better than cowhide and is softer and more flexible.
    I'd sure like to pursue this topic a little more. My wife and I took a ride yesterday in 96 degree weather. She was wearing her First Gear Hypertex jacket and I was wearing my mid-weight Olympia jacket with the pocket vents open. We both have HJC IS MAX-II modular helmets with the vents open. I was pretty warm but not dangerously uncomfortable but Jane was miserably hot.

So, I'm looking into this again, because living in Utah, hot weather riding is a reality and for safety sake if nothing else it's important that we not get overheated when riding.

So, vents open or closed?
    Dedicated hot-weather mesh jackets or not?
    High tech evaporative vests with built-in water supply worth the money and bulk?

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Riding Gear

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for what I'm about to say, but what the **** Until I got a 3-wheeler (Spyder) I've always been an ATGATT believer. No matter the weather, I'm armored head-to-toe. But, now that I have 2 Spyders and getting rid of my 2-wheeler I'm starting to rethink this ATGATT thing. The reason is simple; with a 2-wheeler the risk of going down to the ground while in motion is very high, so protecting vulnerable body parts from abrasion, concussion, impact is / was important. With the Spyder, it's a different story. If I get thrown off this bike, it's going to be in a collision with a substantial object (like a car, elk or even a tree) and quite frankly I doubt the armor is going to help very much. Helmet, yes, but armored pants, jacket not so much. So, I'm more interested in being comfortable, relaxed and alert than protected from spills. I think weather protection is important, as is protection from skin dehydration, but a shell can do that. Let the flaming begin; I think your fluorescent rain coat AND helmet should be adequate protection.
    No flaming here. I concur that on a Spyder the road rash situation(s) are minimized. However, having a real fear of ANY kind of road rash, I still continue to wear my full gear, albeit WITHOUT armor. Sliding down the road from a Spyder would only occur after being hit or hitting something, as you say. It doesn't matter what the weather is, hot, warm or cool (and cold), full gear is a must for me.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Post New Jersey...................

Living and riding in New Jersey...........ATGATT ICON head to toe, mesh in the summer, leather spring and fall, add long underwear for winter. All of the armor that will fit in the pockets.......Air bag vest is on the wish list.....

NJ. NY. and PA drivers combine in to

Spyder Garage

You must have gotten them at a very special rate. I'm not seeing those prices.
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I just completed a 2k mile round trip to No. Cal Spyder Rally from Utah and have to rethink my outerwear strategy. Riding temps ranged from 100+ down to 42 degrees and from bone dry desert to drenching downpour in the mountains - all in one day's ride. I was trying to avoid carrying too much gear on my RT (I already had the panniers, trunk and frunk full, as well as a small dry bag on the passenger seat) so I went with the one Olympia semi-mesh jacket, a jacket liner (for warmth not rain protection), cotton jeans and a complete set of rain jacket, pants, over-mitts and over-boots.

My big downfall was in failing to properly assess the weather conditions I was riding into - particularly the sudden thunderstorms. I didn't want to put on rain gear too soon, while still in the desert, because I'd overheat. But, often I would fail to anticipate cold, rainy conditions soon enough and get soaked and chilled before I knew it.

My hands were fine because of the heated grips on the bike. My feet were okay because I have Sidi riding boots. Obviously, head was okay because of helmet. But my shoulders, core and butt got very wet and cold at times.

Is this just the way it is? Just part of the challenge and adventure? Or, has someone here worked out a system of gear to accommodate this wide range of riding conditions, with changes occurring in a very short time period?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

Pete in my experience, I put on rain gear when I believe it is imminent. That means sometime I have to stop a little later to take it off. We geared up twice on our ryde to Ebbetts Pass and back. I have jacket and pants that have removeable thermal and rain liners. Those are good when you know that you are going to ryding in rain all day. So for quick on and off I really like Frog Toggs. We used these on our trip to Canada, at the first indication of rain you can put these on over your jacket and pants in less than a minute. There is a hood that can go under you helmet to keep neck, shoulders and chest dry. They are breathable and they actually add some warmth when it is cold. So when you are driving a long distance, you may have to take me off and put me back on again more than once. But they are dealt your best friend on the road, and very compactable! At this time of year you don't know what you will get!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default riding gear

Hello all, just purchased a Joe rocket alter ego 13.0 textile jacket. It is a 3 in 1 jacket the outside layer is water proof, next layer is mesh for warm days,and the last is a quilted vest. Oh and of course rain pants and all is good.

2015 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Pete in my experience, I put on rain gear when I believe it is imminent. That means sometime I have to stop a little later to take it off. We geared up twice on our ryde to Ebbetts Pass and back. I have jacket and pants that have removeable thermal and rain liners. Those are good when you know that you are going to ryding in rain all day. So for quick on and off I really like Frog Toggs. We used these on our trip to Canada, at the first indication of rain you can put these on over your jacket and pants in less than a minute. There is a hood that can go under you helmet to keep neck, shoulders and chest dry. They are breathable and they actually add some warmth when it is cold. So when you are driving a long distance, you may have to take me off and put me back on again more than once. But they are dealt your best friend on the road, and very compactable! At this time of year you don't know what you will get!
    Thanks Larry. I appreciate the feedback. I have a Frog Togg jacket for camping but hadn't thought about using it for ryding.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Get a set of pants and you should be good to go.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Sale Prices

I am in Savannah, GA right now doing the snowbird thing and had to visit the local dealer to see if there was anything on sale I wanted. I found a "Bruce" BRP jacket that lists for $300, on sale for $100. I imagine dealerships are discounting now to make room for the coming seasons line. I'm going to Charleston, SC next month and I'll be looking there as well.
    Last edited by Lin; 01-17-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Its been a long time that I have comment. So here goes for me: I actually put an Dainese Armor jacket, protective pants, and boots. Yes, I know I am paranoid about it. But, I saw too many friends get injured through motorcycles to automobiles especially a few deaths. I prefer to be safe. But here is a video with a Can-Am Spyder Here is a video that I like to give you:

Spyder Garage

I saw Alpinestars demo a similar product, actually a full leather jacket, at this year's IMS show in NYC...had airbags in chest and back, armor in shoulders and arms...didn't look all that bulky un-inflated...inflation based on accelerometer motion sensors rather than tether.

For warm-weather riding, we both use the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4 mesh jacket (armored on back, shoulders, forearms) w/removable rain liner, heavy denim jeans, leather/mesh gloves
    During cooler weather, Motoport Canyon cordura jacket (armored on back, shoulders, forearms) w/removable liner) and either leather chaps or Motoport Canyon cordura pants (armored on hips, shins), Joe Rocket cordura gloves.
    Scorpion EXO modular lids, BMW boots always!
    IMHO, aside from the possibility of an unplanned get-off, even a road-rock kicked up at 40mph can be unpleasant. ATGATT!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic