Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding gear

Spyder Garage

Default Riding gear

I am still new to all of this Spyder riding. My question is, what do most people ride with armor jackets or florescent rain jackets. The reason I ask is my wife thinks that I should get a florescent armored jacket. I have a florescent rain coat. The cost of a Joe rocket 2 in 1 jacket cost $450 up here in Canada. I think it is a lot for the amount of times that I would where it. Maybe in the spring & fall, but not in the summer. I know it is all about safety though. Just curious what most people wear.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I do not wear armored clothing while riding. You are not wrong in doing so, however I choose not to wear it and accept the risk that it could help in some situations. I have two different weight BRP jackets that are both very comfortable and of good quality but black in color. I personally think that hi viz are better color choices than dark colors. But my F3 is white and I think is more visible than a dark colored bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    I am still new to all of this Spyder riding. My question is, what do most people ride with armor jackets or florescent rain jackets. The reason I ask is my wife thinks that I should get a florescent armored jacket. I have a florescent rain coat. The cost of a Joe rocket 2 in 1 jacket cost $450 up here in Canada. I think it is a lot for the amount of times that I would where it. Maybe in the spring & fall, but not in the summer. I know it is all about safety though. Just curious what most people wear.
    I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for what I'm about to say, but what the ****

Until I got a 3-wheeler (Spyder) I've always been an ATGATT believer. No matter the weather, I'm armored head-to-toe. But, now that I have 2 Spyders and getting rid of my 2-wheeler I'm starting to rethink this ATGATT thing. The reason is simple; with a 2-wheeler the risk of going down to the ground while in motion is very high, so protecting vulnerable body parts from abrasion, concussion, impact is / was important.

With the Spyder, it's a different story. If I get thrown off this bike, it's going to be in a collision with a substantial object (like a car, elk or even a tree) and quite frankly I doubt the armor is going to help very much. Helmet, yes, but armored pants, jacket not so much. So, I'm more interested in being comfortable, relaxed and alert than protected from spills. I think weather protection is important, as is protection from skin dehydration, but a shell can do that.

Let the flaming begin; I think your fluorescent rain coat AND helmet should be adequate protection.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Warm weather; Tourmaster Sonora Mesh jacket and Olympia Airglide pants.
    Cooler weather; Fly Patrol pants and a really nice Triumph jacket I bought cheap when I had my Triumph.
    Cold weather; The Triumph jacket with my Gerbings jacket liner, the Fly Patrol pants with Cycle Gear long johns, BMW winter gloves or Gerbings heated if need be.
    Oh yeah, Sidi waterproof boots in all seasons.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Our personal choice has been Aerostich since 1994. Mine saved my butt when a truck attacked my BMW in 06. Suit was easily repaired, helmet was trash, but his insurance paid for it all. (Lucky that) Our 'stiches are Gore Tex, so serve as rain ware as well. JMPO
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for what I'm about to say, but what the ****

Until I got a 3-wheeler (Spyder) I've always been an ATGATT believer. No matter the weather, I'm armored head-to-toe. But, now that I have 2 Spyders and getting rid of my 2-wheeler I'm starting to rethink this ATGATT thing. The reason is simple; with a 2-wheeler the risk of going down to the ground while in motion is very high, so protecting vulnerable body parts from abrasion, concussion, impact is / was important.

With the Spyder, it's a different story. If I get thrown off this bike, it's going to be in a collision with a substantial object (like a car, elk or even a tree) and quite frankly I doubt the armor is going to help very much. Helmet, yes, but armored pants, jacket not so much. So, I'm more interested in being comfortable, relaxed and alert than protected from spills. I think weather protection is important, as is protection from skin dehydration, but a shell can do that.

Let the flaming begin; I think your fluorescent rain coat AND helmet should be adequate protection.
    Good tune; easy to dance to, I'd give it 5 out of 5. How's that for flaming.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Good tune; easy to dance to, I'd give it 5 out of 5. How's that for flaming.
    Would that be a flamenco then?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rookie, there are lots of choices out there. I like to wear a textile jacket that is also waterproof. You can get these in high viz colors from lots of different places and for many different prices. BajaRon, a site sponsor, sells First Gear which is good quality and affordable. My husband wears Aerostitch in high viz yellow. I don't wear high viz except for a rainsuit.

Go to revzilla.com they do great reviews of the products they sell which may help you make your decision. Just make sure whatever you get is breathable Gortex or a similar material. Nothing worse than sweating your butt off in a cheap "waterproof" jacket, you'll be as wet from sweat as you would be from rain.

Also, most come with pockets for armor but not all come with the armor. BRP sells the armor separately.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ATGATT - BEEN THERE ... DONE THAT

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

....... No Flaming from me ...... If I wipe out on My Spyder, no amount of clothing , boots etc.is going to prevent my Death. I really feel sorry for the BMW riders I see in the summer getting off their bikes and passing out from Heat Stroke ..... boy aren't they having Fun ..... NOT ...... JMHO ...... Plus I take my helmet off in NH , just because I can ...... BUT I highly recommend ATGATT all the time for everyone else ........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....... No Flaming from me ...... If I wipe out on My Spyder, no amount of clothing , boots etc.is going to prevent my Death. I really feel sorry for the BMW riders I see in the summer getting off their bikes and passing out from Heat Stroke ..... boy aren't they having Fun ..... NOT ...... JMHO ...... Plus I take my helmet off in NH , just because I can ...... BUT I highly recommend ATGATT all the time for everyone else ........Mike
    What are you saying about BMW riders? I guarantee that I am cooler wearing riding gear than some idiot wearing shorts and a tshirt. I'd be willing to undergo scientific testing to prove my point.

Here's one test you could do take two beers and open both. Put one in a coozie and leave the other naked and set them side by side in the sun. Give it a few minutes and tell me which one is cooler??????

Mike, come on out to Las Vegas and ride with me in the summer. You don't wear any gear and I'll wear mine and we will see who is cooler. Oh and you don't have to wear a helmet here so you can cool your head off too. Not!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I am new since May this year and I got a Bilt Techno Mesh Jacket from Cycle Gear for a bit over $100. I live in Houston Texas and it is HOT and HUMID and it works just fine and I do not sweat. I took the inner liner out as well for more air flow and being white doesn't attract the sun and is visible with reflective piping.

web1012169-59524.jpg
    Angus H.

2016 Magma Red RS-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ATGATT here...
    I wear a Speed & Strength textile jacket with the armor intact, riding boots, deerskin gloves, and a Schuberth modular helmet.

1. It keeps the sun from broiling my hide.
    2. Any road grime is caught: leaving my real clothes looking better for the office.
    3. They also keep the minor rainstorms from requiring a stop for the serious raingear.
    4. They add a whole lot more visibility to the package:

New Gear 02.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What are you saying about BMW riders? I guarantee that I am cooler wearing riding gear than some idiot wearing shorts and a tshirt. I'd be willing to undergo scientific testing to prove my point.

Here's one test you could do take two beers and open both. Put one in a coozie and leave the other naked and set them side by side in the sun. Give it a few minutes and tell me which one is cooler??????

Mike, come on out to Las Vegas and ride with me in the summer. You don't wear any gear and I'll wear mine and we will see who is cooler. Oh and you don't have to wear a helmet here so you can cool your head off too. Not!
    Great post Ann. People don't understand the laws of Thermodynamics. Heat will always try to find a balance and transfer from the warmer surface to the cooler surface. If it is over 99 degrees outside, you want to keep your 98.6 inside and away from the 102 outside. You will remain cooler by zipping up all vents and even closing the vents on your helmet. Keep the 98.6 inside and you will be cooler. I tested this coming home from Valcourt. Drove 200 miles across South Dakota in 102 degrees. I closed up everything and remained cool throughout. Once you jump out there in your shorts you will dehydrate and go into heat sickness very fast. So if you are going to the grocery store you can wear what you want, but for me, I am going to remain covered like those cool, calm collected BMW ryders.....and the long, tall cool one....Ann Myers!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the summer, especially when riding in the Sun, wearing a good mesh jacket is much cooler than a Tee shirt. Another bonus, esp as you get.........er........older is the prevention of skin Cancer.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I also have a Bilt mesh jacket from Cyclegear. Inner liner and other layers if needed when it is cooler outside. Zip out liner when warmer. You'll feel the heat when stopped but will cool off quickly once moving. However, mid-summer ride to local store or around town I will jump on with shorts and t-shirt.

Spyder Garage

Default Gear

I was riding in west VA this June and it was in the 90's. I have a high Viz mesh which I usually wear. I took it off for awhile and to my surprise, I was hotter than with it on. I also got a nasty case of sunburn, and for several weeks I looked like a snake shedding his skin. Now, unless it is a run to the store which is a couple miles away, I wear the jacket. (And alway a helmet) My great nephew was riding his Harley several weeks ago, no helmet, and crashed into a field, landing on his head. Dr said if he would have had a helmet on, he wouldn't have been hurt, except for being sore and scraped. He was in a coma for several weeks, and now is in rehab. Doing better, but may never be normal. (And always a helmet!!)
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear about your nephew...
    I hope that he's able to recover fully!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Great post Ann. People don't understand the laws of Thermodynamics. Heat will always try to find a balance and transfer from the warmer surface to the cooler surface. If it is over 99 degrees outside, you want to keep your 98.6 inside and away from the 102 outside. You will remain cooler by zipping up all vents and even closing the vents on your helmet. Keep the 98.6 inside and you will be cooler. I tested this coming home from Valcourt. Drove 200 miles across South Dakota in 102 degrees. I closed up everything and remained cool throughout. Once you jump out there in your shorts you will dehydrate and go into heat sickness very fast. So if you are going to the grocery store you can wear what you want, but for me, I am going to remain covered like those cool, calm collected BMW ryders.....and the long, tall cool one....Ann Myers!
    I'm not sure about keeping those vents closed in warmer weather as air flow past your skin is needed for the evaporation process, which keeps you cool. Also, if you live in an area where the outside temp. is below 98.6, thermodynamics would dictate temp flow from warmer (your body) to cooler (the outside air). So, I can understand SpyderAnn01, and you with gearing up with a jacket, just not zipping all the vents. Believe me, I understand it all depends on the weather conditions, including humidity; I was in the A.C. business for 25 years.

If I do go without a jacket, I have long sleeves, and pants to slow down the evaporation process, and dehydration.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-27-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zosixd View Post
    I am new since May this year and I got a Bilt Techno Mesh Jacket from Cycle Gear for a bit over $100. I live in Houston Texas and it is HOT and HUMID and it works just fine and I do not sweat. I took the inner liner out as well for more air flow and being white doesn't attract the sun and is visible with reflective piping.

web1012169-59524.jpg
    The wife and I just picked up these on sale hers $49 mine $69.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even with air temps less than 98 you should wear a jacket. I think the rate of evaporation matters. Going with just a t-shirt you'll never get the evap benefit because your sweat gets dries off instantly. You just end up with dry leathery skin. By wearing a jacket with vents open you'll get the cooling benefit of the evaporation.

Everyobe be has their favorite gear. Mine is the Olympia Expedition jacket. I can open it to expose mesh panels for max air flow, close them as I like or add an insulated liner in cold weather. One jacket, four seasons.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Also, to keep cooler, black is better than white, although most people think the opposite.

This is an excerpt from a study:

"Black absorbs everything coming in from the sun, sure. But black also absorbs energy from the body instead of reflecting it back."

So, when people say white reflects heat, it does, but in both direction; the exterior reflects it out, and the interior surface reflects it in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Also, to keep cooler, black is better than white, although most people think the opposite.

"Black absorbs everything coming in from the sun, sure. But black also absorbs energy from the body instead of reflecting it back."

So, when people say white reflects heat, it does, but in both direction; the exterior reflects it out, and the interior surface reflects it in.
    That is why my white jacket has a black liner! Also mesh is NO Bueno in temps above 98.6!IMG_1873.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So ideally: you has a dark inner liner to absorb heat, and a white shell to reflect it away from you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So ideally: you has a dark inner liner to absorb heat, and a white shell to reflect it away from you!
    Great minds think alike! At least sometimes!