Spyder Garage

Default How to mount accessories on ST handlebars??

Has anyone else widened ST or RT handlebars? Today we traded our '09 GS for a '13 ST-S. I will now need to relocate a J&M CB radio & Ram/Garmin GPS. I really can't understand $200-$225 for a mount that is not high enough to be usable while in motion. I am planning to order a "drag bar", cutting 2 sections 5/8" longer than OEM bar inserts. This will give me a piece next to each control housing to mount the radio mount & Ram pedestal.
    Thinking that I shouldn't have a problem with OEM wire & cables. I hoping someone has gone through this before.

Thanks,
    Thom

Spyder Garage

Default Still Looking...

Upon the recommendation of parts guy we didn't try to lengthen the bars. The return spring for the throttle attaches under the bar end. We did buy a Master Cylinder Ball Mount and a XL pipe mount, both manufactured by Ram Mount. Neither worked, the Master cylinder holes are too far apart, and the pipe mount won't stay in one place. The handlebar covers are an odd shape and the mount won't stay in one place.

I did see that a drink holder that attaches to the back of the control housing using I presume longer screws.

What am I going to do???

Spyder Garage

If I understand that one of your issues is the non-round shape of the handlebars, then try interphone.com They have simple mounts that grab any shape bars and they do work. I have a mount for an iPhone, but they also make ones for GPS units.

Spyder Garage

Default ST Dash RAM Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    Has anyone else widened ST or RT handlebars? Today we traded our '09 GS for a '13 ST-S. I will now need to relocate a J&M CB radio & Ram/Garmin GPS. I really can't understand $200-$225 for a mount that is not high enough to be usable while in motion. I am planning to order a "drag bar", cutting 2 sections 5/8" longer than OEM bar inserts. This will give me a piece next to each control housing to mount the radio mount & Ram pedestal. Thinking that I shouldn't have a problem with OEM wire & cables. I hoping someone has gone through this before. Thanks, Thom
    2014 ST Limited.
    Remove the two top Torx screws that hold the dash face in place. Get a pair of these RAM Mount items:
    https://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-mot...amp-ram-b-367u

Get a pair of Allen head screws that match the thread of the removed Torx screws. Note that they MUST be at least 1-inch longer than the original screws, which are M5 X 16.

Take the RAM Mount clamp and with a file and sandpaper, remove some of the exterior of the steel shaft. "Make" the outer diameter small enough to j-u-s-t fit into the screw holes.
    Take a piece of small hose or a straw and insert it into the shaft. That will assist in the screws lining up properly when installing. Get a small washer to fit inside the top exterior hole, slide the new Allen head screw and tighten everything up.

I have used this on my Spyder since 2015 and have now logged almost 40,000 kms on every conceivable road imaginable in Canada and the northern USA. My cell 'phone holder is in my right hand RAM ball, and my ciffee cup holder is in my left one.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

We have a ST-S with a SCSI hand brake lever. This makes mounting accessories a challenge. On the right side (throttle) we are planning to use a RAM 1" ball mounted in the mirror mount hole. This is where we will mount the GPS. Using other mounts will put the GPS south of the ignition, way below reasonable sight lines. On the Left, we found LaMonster Spyder Cuff. We plan to mount a J&M 2003 CB radio here, the radio uses left trigger finger to talk, so it has to be mounted here. The alternative would be $700 to install the ST-L cb radio.

Parts have been ordered, I will update the thread as we install.

Spyder Garage

Default Finally...

I got the RAM Mounts, the mirror hole mount was too close to the master cylinder. I couldn't get the GPS out from in front of the right mirror. Yesterday the Spyder Cuff arrived, today the J&M HBK03S mount arrived. The mount plate is reversed set on a 45degree angle, putting the radio view right under the left mirror. In the center is a cup holder, we use 18oz RTIC bottles as they are cylindrical and sit well in all the cup holders. I drilled 3/8 hole for a straw, carrying a second bottle, we just switch tops.

06 is the right side with GPS, 07 is above the left side, 08 is close to the drivers view...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default RAM alternative

This was an inexpensive solution for mounting my 550 Zumo GPS:

http://rka-luggage.com/A33%20Rammoun...ram108b_bi.jpg
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

I see you have covers similar to those on an RT. I bought 2 of these http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-6U and laid them down on the bar then clamped them down with 2 hose clamps. Discard the 2 screws. I now have 4 mounting places for all kinds of junk.

RAM-B-309-6U.jpg

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze