Thread: Thanks, JerryB!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, JerryB!

Went on the first spin with another Spyder ryder today.
    Thanks to JerryB for guiding me out to Stevenson, WA.
    Bike performed so so. I'm hoping it improves after I install the BajaRon sway bar, the F4 windshield, and get a laser alignment.
    Found out how BADLY I need the windshield! Coming back west in the Columbia gorge the head wind beat my ole butt! My wide old body creates a large air anchor at 70+mph in 20 - 30 mile head winds!
    I am hoping that by this weekend, I'll have the sway bar and windshield installed. Then the following week I will have a laser alignment done.
    The front end is wandering all over the place, so, for now, I'll stay close to home.
    Thanks again, JerryB! That was fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryWA View Post
    Went on the first spin with another Spyder ryder today.
    Thanks to JerryB for guiding me out to Stevenson, WA.
    Bike performed so so. I'm hoping it improves after I install the BajaRon sway bar, the F4 windshield, and get a laser alignment.
    Found out how BADLY I need the windshield! Coming back west in the Columbia gorge the head wind beat my ole butt! My wide old body creates a large air anchor at 70+mph in 20 - 30 mile head winds!
    I am hoping that by this weekend, I'll have the sway bar and windshield installed. Then the following week I will have a laser alignment done.
    The front end is wandering all over the place, so, for now, I'll stay close to home.
    Thanks again, JerryB! That was fun.
    You will love the results of the alignment.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Hi JerryWA,

Re: Thanks again, JerryB! That was fun.

That it was. So now, you get to plan the next ride.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

check your tire pressure too it will help when set correctly

Spyder Garage

If you are new to a spyder, remember to try and ride with out totally gripping the grips. I ride with my hands open and fingers extended. This light grip eliminates the twitchy front end. If you grip tight, every tiny movement of your hands becomes steering input for the bike making it seem to want to wander all over the place. fighting the headwind in the gorge only further amplifies it. Another thing that helped in turns, have your outside hand on the turn push the grip instead of gripping and using the inside hand to pull the grip. hope this helps
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Same here. Far different from 2 wheelers. Had to re-learn to relax the grip and extend the fingertips and push and pull gently as required.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips. I found out early that pushing to steer in a turn is more stable and controllable.
    I am still convinced there is something seriously wrong with the front end. It swerves with every groove or ridge in the road, and dive to the right with even gentle braking. I am hoping the new sway bar and laser alignment will solve most, if not all, of that.
    The owner's manual says to air the front tires to 15 psi. That seems pretty soft to me. What have all you discovered is the most stable pressure in the fronts? (rear is at 28 psi.)
    Found I cannot relax my grip while trying to fight the air pressure. That will improve after the windshield is installed.