Spyder Garage

Default Not hearing navigation audio

Hey guys-Help.
    I have a 2015 RTS-My wife has a 2014 STS-
    We use the SENA 20 units to communicate with each other.
    I use the blue tooth device in my rear trunk (purchased from Lamonster).
    I use my Apple iPhone 7.
    Question: When we go riding and use the head sets to communicate with each other- I can't hear any of the navigation directions .
    Suggestions?

Spyder Garage

You haven't muted the GPS function or turned down its volume by any chance have you??

I spent a couple of days chasing exactly the problem you describe (not being able to hear the GPS/navigation instructions but still able to clearly hear/use the intercom) until I noticed the mute symbol on the GPS/Nav setup screen - somehow, during the bluetooth set-up I'd inadvertently muted the GPS, and as soon as I de-selected that mute button I could once again hear the Nav instructions fine!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have 20S also. on the spyder center screen, goto page that pairs spyder to a helmet headset. I hear my directions inside helmet now, but it mutes to spyder speakers
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You haven't muted the GPS function or turned down its volume by any chance have you??

I spent a couple of days chasing exactly the problem you describe (not being able to hear the GPS/navigation instructions but still able to clearly hear/use the intercom) until I noticed the mute symbol on the GPS/Nav setup screen - somehow, during the bluetooth set-up I'd inadvertently muted the GPS, and as soon as I de-selected that mute button I could once again hear the Nav instructions fine!
    Thanks-I will look for that possibility.
    Do you use your phone for your navigation?
    What does your 'mute selection "look like?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I have 20S also. on the spyder center screen, goto page that pairs spyder to a helmet headset. I hear my directions inside helmet now, but it mutes to spyder speakers
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Don, I don't really use the phone all that often, but I was asked to write a 'tankbag guide' for some other Aussie riders who wanted to try, and figured it'd be a good idea to actually use it properly for a while before I did! So, immediately prior to starting work on this guide thing, I ran just the phone maps/directions/GPS for almost a month & just over 10,000km of ryding thru Victoria (one of our smaller States here in Aus!) - and for a couple of days at the start of that time I couldn't get audible instructions at all....

How I did that, I don't really know; I guess I muted it via the volume display when the Maps/directions set-up screen was displayed - I figure I'd somehow hit the volume button & then the symbol on the left hand end of the volume bar, which on my screen happens to be the mute button.... All it took to rectify was dragging the volume icon all the way over to the right hand end of the bar & voila, I had sound & audible directions again... but I haven't really tried to replicate that particular stuff up in any way ever since!

Over to you, good luck!

Ps: try going into Settings & then Navigation Settings on your Maps/directions app, & check that the 'Play Voice over Bluetooth' or whatever equivalent yours has is ticked, then play the test sound to check it's working..... you might also hafta turn on something like 'Get Driving Notifications' or whatever you have that equates, but remember, none of that stuff will work if the master volume for notifications or apps has been muted... Good Luck again!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2017 at 05:58 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don, I use my Phone Sena 20S for GPS all the time. It works great for me. Just let your wife know not to talk to you when you make a turn or merge on a highway or you will miss the GPS instructions. Since you can't see your phone you'll want to know how far before your next turn. My IPhone map program tells me after a turn how far to the next one, if I'm on an expressway I get a 10 mile, 2 and 1/2 mile warning. On secondary roads you get the initial info then again 1/2 mile before your turn.

If you ride 2 up you can use the music sharing feature on the Sena and you'll both hear directions
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Don, I use my Phone Sena 20S for GPS all the time. It works great for me. Just let your wife know not to talk to you when you make a turn or merge on a highway or you will miss the GPS instructions. Since you can't see your phone you'll want to know how far before your next turn. My IPhone map program tells me after a turn how far to the next one, if I'm on an expressway I get a 10 mile, 2 and 1/2 mile warning. On secondary roads you get the initial info then again 1/2 mile before your turn.

If you ride 2 up you can use the music sharing feature on the Sena and you'll both hear directions
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    The problem that I've been having is that I can not hear any of the directions-even if/even though the wife is not talking.
    It seems to me that if Only my SENA is on- I heat the directions.

Spyder Garage

Don, I don't really use the phone all that often, but I was asked to write a 'tankbag guide' for some other Aussie riders who wanted to try, and figured it'd be a good idea to actually use it properly for a while before I did! So, immediately prior to starting work on this guide thing, I ran just the phone maps/directions/GPS for almost a month & just over 10,000km of ryding thru Victoria (one of our smaller States here in Aus!) - and for a couple of days at the start of that time I couldn't get audible instructions at all....

How I did that, I don't really know; I guess I muted it via the volume display when the Maps/directions set-up screen was displayed - I figure I'd somehow hit the volume button & then the symbol on the left hand end of the volume bar, which on my screen happens to be the mute button.... All it took to rectify was dragging the volume icon all the way over to the right hand end of the bar & voila, I had sound & audible directions again... but I haven't really tried to replicate that particular stuff up in any way ever since!

Over to you, good luck!

Ps: try going into Settings & then Navigation Settings on your Maps/directions app, & check that the 'Play Voice over Bluetooth' or whatever equivalent yours has is ticked, then play the test sound to check it's working..... you might also hafta turn on something like 'Get Driving Notifications' or whatever you have that equates, but remember, none of that stuff will work if the master volume for notifications or apps has been muted... Good Luck again!
    If I have my SENA on -and she dose not-I receive the audible direction

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    If I have my SENA on -and she dose not-I receive the audible direction
    That's not at all the problem I had, where initially neither of us could hear the directions with both units on, & even if it was just my headset on, I still couldn't hear directions at all until I'd fixed that muting??! And yours sounds odd - why would turning another Sena unit on disrupt the bluetooth connection between the phone & the original unit??

Is it likely to be the order in which you connect all the various bluetooth devices?? I know that when connecting my Garmin GPS, phone, & headset, if I first connect my headset to the phone AND then the GPS unit, it then sometimes doesn't readily allow the intercom link with another headset.... but if I connect both the headsets first (&/or daisy chain any more) then turn on the link from my headset to the phone, and finally add the GPS, it all works fine...

Verrry Innnterrresting, but not funny?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

That's not at all the problem I had, where initially neither of us could hear the directions with both units on, & even if it was just my headset on, I still couldn't hear directions at all until I'd fixed that muting??! And yours sounds odd - why would turning another Sena unit on disrupt the bluetooth connection between the phone & the original unit??

Is it likely to be the order in which you connect all the various bluetooth devices?? I know that when connecting my Garmin GPS, phone, & headset, if I first connect my headset to the phone AND then the GPS unit, it then sometimes doesn't readily allow the intercom link with another headset.... but if I connect both the headsets first (&/or daisy chain any more) then turn on the link from my headset to the phone, and finally add the GPS, it all works fine...

Verrry Innnterrresting, but not funny?!
    Thanks for the good information-I'll have to do some experimenting and see what happens.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you should try resetting them to the factory setting and start over.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

A phone can only pair to one headset at a time for Music / GPS audio (calls can be different and support 2). The Lamonster BT device pairs like a headset so you can then hear your phone over your speakers. If that "connects" first before your Sena headset it will take over and you won't hear music or GPS in your headset only the speakers.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    A phone can only pair to one headset at a time for Music / GPS audio (calls can be different and support 2). The Lamonster BT device pairs like a headset so you can then hear your phone over your speakers. If that "connects" first before your Sena headset it will take over and you won't hear music or GPS in your headset only the speakers.

Bob
    Thanks for your suggestions:
    I have the issue of not being able to hear the navigation from my phone when the wife and I use the SENA 20 for contact with each other-And usually the blue tooth is not even turned on.
    If I'm riding my Spyder (alone and she is not riding hers)so we are not connected via the SENA-I hear the navigation just fine.
    Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Maybe you should try resetting them to the factory setting and start over.
    May have to try this.
    Thanks