Spyder Garage

Default 09 RS runs really rich

my 09 RS is running really rich.. I thought it was just me until I let someone take her for a ride and he told me she was definitely running rich.. Is this okay??? Should I have it looked at by a mechanic? I don't mind the odor reminds me I am on bike but hate to bother my groups when riding.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Running Rich

Well, if you're confident with your diagnosis, then of course you should have it looked at. Prolonged operation when overly rich can cause lubrication issues and failure of your Cat - provided you still have one on....not to mention your contribution to global warming....

If there is no Check Engine light and no codes - and you didn't mention any - then the system doesn't know it is running rich. This is typically due to the O2 sensor sensing a false lean condition, the computer responding by ramping up the fuel delivery to try to correct it, and then driving you overly rich because there wasn't an actual lean condition in the first place. In the real world, a common reason for a false lean condition is an exhaust leak at or upstream of the O2 sensor. The venturi effect can actually suck in fresh air from the outside. The O2 sensor picks that up as a lean condition.

In your case with your exhaust, the likely culprit is an upstream slip joint gasket, especially if they are the original ones. If it was me, I would start there. And of course, the sensor itself could be to blame. So again, whatever it turns out to be, you'll want to get it corrected. In the long run, your engine will thank you.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-25-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default O2 Sensor

Is there a way to test the O2 sensor? If so, please inform. Thanks. John

Spyder Garage

Default 'O8

In my opinion, all the 990's run rich... especially if you've altered any of the system... my partner installed the optional CAN AM Silencer (aka: muffler) on his '08 GS, and installed a performance chip... when i rode behind him, i was no less than a couple hundred feet behind because of the smell of gas... i can't remember not smelling even a little while riding behind a 990.... if your MPG ARE between 30 & 34, you should be ok...
    jmho
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

The smell of gas is not always because it is running rich. These machines are pretty good at letting you know if you are running rich of lean. Canisters, fuel caps or fuel leaks can do the same. The gaskets are a good start then check the other points mentioned here....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    In your case with your exhaust, the likely culprit is an upstream slip joint gasket, especially if they are the original ones. If it was me, I would start there. And of course, the sensor itself could be to blame. So again, whatever it turns out to be, you'll want to get it corrected. In the long run, your engine will thank you.
    Check you slip joint gasket, also called a 'Y' gasket. The original ones burn out around 17k, replace them with Honda 'Y' gaskets. Easy fix.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

All you ever want to know about Y gasket replacement (including the Honda part number) can be found in this thread:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?19691-Exhaust-Y-Gasket-replacement&highlight=Honda+Gasket