Thread: Carbon buildup

Spyder Garage

Default Carbon buildup

Have any of you experienced carbon build up in your cylinder heads in the 998 engine? If so, what causes it and how do you clean up your engine?

Spyder Garage

Default Really...🤔

Don't know anyone who has pull the heads.. I only have close to 40,000 miles and she is running great. If I should ever get to that point I will check. Fuel and mixture would come to mind good quality oil and regular air filter maintenance...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My bike has been in the shop for 5 weeks and I was just informed a quarter sized piece of carbon buildup seperated from the cylinder head falling into the combustion camber resulting in the loud engine nocking that sent my bike to the shop. 2015 ST Limited 13 months old with 19,000 miles on her. Seem very strang to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    My bike has been in the shop for 5 weeks and I was just informed a quarter sized piece of carbon buildup seperated from the cylinder head falling into the combustion camber resulting in the loud engine nocking that sent my bike to the shop. 2015 ST Limited 13 months old with 19,000 miles on her. Seem very strang to me.
    Very strang & unlikely at under 20k miles. You would have noticed smoke, horriable acceleration & gas mileage, all would be hard to ignore & miss for all of a sudden noise to develop from it. Crap gas & worse air filter will get you there but still takes some time. Run your finger around inside of cool tail pipe & report back

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Running low quality &/or low octane fuel instead of the recommended octane stuff & then adding insult to the injury by feeding it air thru a choked air filter & lugging the engine too often/much as well as never revving it out often enough to get the engine hot enough to burn off/blow out any small carbon deposits that will likely result from a low/slow burn might possibly do that sort of thing/create that much carbon deposit, but you really wouldn't expect it on a relatively new low milage motor like that one without REALLY working pretty hard to do any/all those things?!? What octane fuel do you 'normally' run, how often do you get the filters (fuel & air) serviced/changed, & what sort of revs do you 'normally' run at & rev out to?!

How do you clean it up? - Run the engine on the approved octane level fuel at mid to high revs for at least 30 mins each time you run it; never let it lug along at low revs in a high gear; make sure the fuel & air filters are clean & of the appropriate (or better) flow rates; and basically ryde it like you stole it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2017 at 06:54 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I run the normal gas brands around here including Shell, Speedway, BP, etc. New air filter at 16,000 miles and old one didn't look bad. I have not changed fuel filter yet but didn't think I needed to. I run in trailer mode all the time and have no trailer. So, It cant shift und r 4500 rpms. No lugging that i know if. I do baby this machine so I don't run at extreme high RPMs Hardey ever. That maybe my problem but I cannot believe that that would result in such a carbon buildup that a piece would fall into the cylinder and cause such a serious engine knock

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Use top tier gas when possible and occasionally use some gas treatment. It's hard to imagine the 998 building up much carbon running at 5,000 RPM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White