Spyder Garage

Default JT's NHR Carrier

Has anyone used JT's NHR carrier on their RT? I see he has all his carriers listed as "out of stock." Just looking for impressions, ease of removal, etc. I am looking for a carrier that does not require the hitch.

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    Has anyone used JT's NHR carrier on their RT? I see he has all his carriers listed as "out of stock." Just looking for impressions, ease of removal, etc. I am looking for a carrier that does not require the hitch.

Gunner
    Gunner, they are listed as out of stock as he is sold out of the ones he had made. I know this because I just bought one, and he was in the process of finishing making the last two of the run he had started. In fact, they were listed as out of stock when I asked about them and he told me that as soon as he had them ready to ship, he would let me know and then list them as available on the web site. He also said he needed to put together another run of them, so you might want to give him a call and see if he has an idea when he will have them.

I can tell you this, when I received my package, even though UPS did a good job of destroying the box, his packaging was good enough so there was no damage, or parts lost in shipping. And, it is a really nice kit, the parts are well finished, the powder coat is just down right pretty. And there are two sets of parts, one to assemble the mounting pieces for the swing arm, and another for mounting the rack to the mounting pieces. (if that makes sense.) IF I had to make a complaint, and John, I'm sorry I didn't say something to you first, it would be that the instruction sheet seems a bit short. (no pictures) But, that is how easy it will be putting this together. It appears as easy as 1, 2, 3., just like the instruct sheet has it listed.

I am going to do my best to assemble and mount this today, and will take a couple of pictures when finished and post them here for those who might be interested.

David VonStein

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default Give him a call...

I know he makes quality tested products so that should not worry you at all. As mentioned above a call will help get you an idea of when he will have more available. I did go to his site and it did not show not available but it may come up if you follow the purchasing process...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default JT's Rear Rack - pictures

Well, the weekend is finally over and I just got the rack mounted on the rear of my RT Limited. One of the easiest things I've done, just followed the instructions, 1-2-3, etc. and everything went as planned until................. why is there always and until? I may have overlooked this, but the instructions didn't mention anything about the cotterkey that goes thru the nut and and rear axle, and that is where the threaded rod that holds the rack to the swing arm goes. Since it's Sunday, John didn't answer his phone, and I can't blame him, I'll call him tomorrow. Here are some pictures, it really is a nicely done piece of work, and should make packing for the weekend much easier, or just running around town doing a little shopping. There is a plastic dry box that is made by Plano for under $20.00 that fits this rack (John has a picture of it on his site under storage ) that should really be convieinent.

IMG_1247A.jpgIMG_1249B.jpgIMG_1250C.jpgIMG_1244D.jpg

Hope you enjoy this, and by the way, when I was finished, I removed the threaded rod that goes thru the axle and took the rack off for storage. Jus too easy.

David VonStein

Spyder Garage

Default Cotter pin

The castlated nut tightenes the axle (bolt) that holds it on. Once tight, insert cotter pin, and spread ends out so it does not back off. Same as the trailer hitch process. Looks great!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks like a real winner!
    Let us know how it holds up, when it's out on the road!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info...perfect timing!

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That looks like a real winner!
    Let us know how it holds up, when it's out on the road!
    I posted the same question on this forum a couple of months ago, and while others noted the quality workmanship of JT'S products, no one has come forward to post a 'product review'.
    I spoke personally with JT, and he indicated that a strap was needed to hold down the dry box, because, when he tested it, the original bungee cords would pop loose, due to the bouncing/oscillating of the swing arm, to which the rack is mounted.
    So, the question still needs to be answered - how does it perform on the road? If the dry box is loaded with the maximum cargo load of 40 lbs., does it cause any noticeable bounce during the ride?
    I have seen 'Givi'- type top cases mounted to similar racks (with brake lights, etc.), but wonder if they would be sturdy enough to hold up under a bouncy ride.

Spyder Garage

I don't think I would put 40 pounds on that rack. The rack would hold it, but, you would be a bit over the limit set by BRP. What John said about the dry box, is use a ratchet strap, for soft bags you can use bungee's.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    The castlated nut tightenes the axle (bolt) that holds it on. Once tight, insert cotter pin, and spread ends out so it does not back off. Same as the trailer hitch process. Looks great!
    I just sent you a personal message.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting pictures and information on this item. It is a little late for me, as I have purchased a trailer hitch and gone another route. But maybe it will help someone else.
    This product was in the works when I was ready to purchase, but not quite ready for market.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I've been super busy with my $Day Job$ so production is slow and partly because I'm so particular about what I build. I just ordered a batch of parts laser cut to save me time and get a better edge on all the parts.

The 40 pound weight limit is total not what's inside the box. We pack the dry box full of clothes and just unstrap it and carry the box in the hotel like a suitcase it weighs very little full of clothes.

For now I'm concentrating in the basic model for the dry box and it's turned out to be a waiting list kind of deal. Send an inquiry from www.spyderstore.com to be added to the list (no PM's please). Gotta hurry up and finish this cat bypass I'm working on so I can be ready to build the next batch... well I'm off to the industrial park to do some PLC programming.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Jt's NHR Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post

Gunner
    I bought one of JT's NHR Carriers with the hard case, and I have used it a few times. I bought this unit to add some extra storage for when the wife and I travel on the Spyder. The carrier is well built and easy to assemble. Once assembled, the carrier can be easily removed by removing the bolt through the axle and the carrier pulls right off. It take about 5 minutes to remove and install. I had a minor issue with mine and JT called me the next day to help me resolve the issue.

I found that a mud flap is needed to protect cargo from road debris, and a cargo strap is need to keep the cargo in place. The storage box that came with the unit is the size of a 48 quart cooler. I would only put clothing in the storage box and I would put them into a waterproof / dirtproof zip lock bag to keep them dry and clean. The only thing I carried in mine so far is my gym clothes. Even though the storage box is suppose to be watertight, I still got road grime inside the box. I travel an hour one way to work and the gym is on the way to work. This means that I have made several 100 mile trips with this unit and there are no signs of wear. The would recommend this product for someone that needs a little more room for clothing, shoes, etc. for travel on the Spyder. JT did a great job with unit...... I couldn't be happier,
    2012 RTS

2012 RtS M5 , Stock Homemade Metallic Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freegle View Post
    I bought one of JT's NHR Carriers with the hard case, and I have used it a few times. I bought this unit to add some extra storage for when the wife and I travel on the Spyder. The carrier is well built and easy to assemble. Once assembled, the carrier can be easily removed by removing the bolt through the axle and the carrier pulls right off. It take about 5 minutes to remove and install. I had a minor issue with mine and JT called me the next day to help me resolve the issue.

I found that a mud flap is needed to protect cargo from road debris, and a cargo strap is need to keep the cargo in place. The storage box that came with the unit is the size of a 48 quart cooler. I would only put clothing in the storage box and I would put them into a waterproof / dirtproof zip lock bag to keep them dry and clean. The only thing I carried in mine so far is my gym clothes. Even though the storage box is suppose to be watertight, I still got road grime inside the box. I travel an hour one way to work and the gym is on the way to work. This means that I have made several 100 mile trips with this unit and there are no signs of wear. The would recommend this product for someone that needs a little more room for clothing, shoes, etc. for travel on the Spyder. JT did a great job with unit...... I couldn't be happier,

Thanks Freegle - what I have been looking for. A mud flap would definitely be a must. I'm assuming you have the black dry box, which JT provides(from Cabelas)?