Spyder Garage

Default F3 & F3S License Plate Light Warning...

Early on in the F3 forums, I read about putting RTV Silicone on the screw holding the red lens housing on. Did it with my GS back then, but didn't do it on the F3.

So I had a bit of a drama going up to Spyderfest... My tail light cover fell off somewhere along the road going up to Missouri. Took the bulb out and covered the electrical connections with black electricians tape. No tickets for me!

Ordered a new tail light assembly and finally got around to almost installing it. To do the whole job properly, the rear wheel must be removed because of clearance issues. My fingers are skinny, but not that skinny.

So I decided to take the housing and red lens cover off the new assembly and screw it onto the original metal plate holding the bulb sticking out. It was only held on by one screw, how hard can it be? It only took breaking the tension on the 3/8" length sheet metal screw and the housing assembly fell off. Hmm... manufactured failure point?

No problems, I'll get a longer screw. In the comfort of AC, I looked through the can of screws and found one that matched the new assembly. Confident in BRP's QC, I went out to the non AC garage, put RTV Silicone on the new screw and was ready to attach the new housing. No can do amigo, the new screw was too wide, in fact, the new assembly sheet metal screw wouldn't go in either. Hmm...

Not going to chew your ear about air jockeys screwing things together with sheet metal screws, or about random sizes of the above screws, just venting a little...

Just know I'll be out tomorrow morning, heat in the mid-eighties and rising, humidity around eighty, mosquito spray on, sitting on the ground, looking for a screw smaller than the one I found earlier and hoping I find one...

Be Warned! Do The Easy Thing And Get Some RTV Silicone On That Screw!!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

​Thanks for the tip, a little blue LocTite will be going on ours today.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default That's just great

Lens.jpg

Well, I should have listened.......lost mine today.
    Good thing I had a shop rag with me....

Ordered OEM today. Hope the screw fits!

Part #'s are 1100 and 1110 from what I could tell. About $15 total....I ordered 2.

Spyder Garage

Default Legal (sort of)

20170725_115034.jpg

Was able to fab something up using a plastic bolt container the same size and some tape. It will work until I get the lens and screw in Friday....

Spyder Garage

Hoping you receive the right size screw...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Hoping you receive the right size screw...
    You and me both! Coming straight from the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Did the screw just vibrate out over time?
    I've never heard of this before. Hmmm...
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

Yup
    Happen to me too, almost hit my riding partner in the helmet.
    ordered a replacement from custom dynamics, it has a clear piece
    so it lights up the license plate as well
    added some silicone and has stayed on for over 18 months
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Default Cheaper way to replace Lens

I too had the same problem, but for much less money (less than $25) I was able to order a Spyder Double Feature Lens from Custom Dynamics. Just had to find a screw and I actually like it much better than the original lens.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

I lost mine also but turned it in to the place I bought it and its covered by the warranty they got me a new one and installed it for free. After all one screw is not that bad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    I lost mine also but turned it in to the place I bought it and its covered by the warranty they got me a new one and installed it for free. After all one screw is not that bad.
    That is what happened to me. Contacted the dealer I purchased the byke from (imotorsports) and they graciously covered the lense and the screw and shipped it at no charge. I bought a second one to set aside. Both lens and screw was less than $10 including free shipping.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOK-TITE

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    ​Thanks for the tip, a little blue LocTite will be going on ours today.
    I recall a long time back about this issue with the GS ( like Joy mentioned ) and if memory serves - Lok Tite will EAT plastic ......That could be why Yazz is using RTV .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Best solution to this problem.......IMG_6223.jpg

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Corrected BRP part number

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...-package-std-s

I received my lens and screw box from the dealer today and eagerly opened it so that I could replace the not-so-flattering home made lens that I had been using. I found that I had been sent the wrong parts, so the previous numbers in one of the above posts are wrong. The entire unit must be purchased if it is not under warranty. About $50. So, got back on the phone with the parts guy and verified the correct numbers and got the right part on order. The item at the above link is: 560,560A. BRP part number is: 710003348. Sorry for any previous confusion. The bulb number is: 415129261

Whatever you do to secure the screw, make sure you can get in to service the bulb.
    License Plate Light Package S North America

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Gonna put a little Blue Locktite on mine tomorrow.

Prevention is the key!!!
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

I received the entire tail light assembly yesterday. Plan on removing the lens and putting it on the byke sometime today. Good thing it was under warranty. Hard to believe that they do not service the lens since it is only secured with one screw.......

Spyder Garage

Mine fell off also. I removed the entire rear light and replaced with a simple $5 red clearance light. I like it much better!!
    redlight.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    Mine fell off also. I removed the entire rear light and replaced with a simple $5 red clearance light. I like it much better!!
    redlight.JPG

Does it have the clear bottom for the plate to be lighted?

Spyder Garage

Interesting in that BRP seems to love that yellow loctite, it's all over my RT fasteners. Thinking that the whole F3 light may be from an outside vendor and comes pre-assembled?

Good advice for loctite/silicone, cheaper, too !.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default had the same problem with my F3. bought a new one from custom dynamics .

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Early on in the F3 forums, I read about putting RTV Silicone on the screw holding the red lens housing on. Did it with my GS back then, but didn't do it on the F3.

So I had a bit of a drama going up to Spyderfest... My tail light cover fell off somewhere along the road going up to Missouri. Took the bulb out and covered the electrical connections with black electricians tape. No tickets for me!

Ordered a new tail light assembly and finally got around to almost installing it. To do the whole job properly, the rear wheel must be removed because of clearance issues. My fingers are skinny, but not that skinny.

So I decided to take the housing and red lens cover off the new assembly and screw it onto the original metal plate holding the bulb sticking out. It was only held on by one screw, how hard can it be? It only took breaking the tension on the 3/8" length sheet metal screw and the housing assembly fell off. Hmm... manufactured failure point?

No problems, I'll get a longer screw. In the comfort of AC, I looked through the can of screws and found one that matched the new assembly. Confident in BRP's QC, I went out to the non AC garage, put RTV Silicone on the new screw and was ready to attach the new housing. No can do amigo, the new screw was too wide, in fact, the new assembly sheet metal screw wouldn't go in either. Hmm...

Not going to chew your ear about air jockeys screwing things together with sheet metal screws, or about random sizes of the above screws, just venting a little...

Just know I'll be out tomorrow morning, heat in the mid-eighties and rising, humidity around eighty, mosquito spray on, sitting on the ground, looking for a screw smaller than the one I found earlier and hoping I find one...

Be Warned! Do The Easy Thing And Get Some RTV Silicone On That Screw!!
    had the same problem, got a new one from custom dynamics, Double Feature™ replacement lens. Custom Dynamics® new Double Feature™ replacement lens provides both a reflector and running light function. Our unit is a direct replacement for the stock unit on 2008-2016 RS and ST Series Spyders® and can be installed in less than 2 minutes. (Stock screws are not included. i then ran a 10/32 tap through the original hole and replaced with 10/32 machine screw with lock tight blue. 2 yrs and no problems