Thread: Tire Mileage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Mileage

What is the average tire mileage on the Spyder? My Spyder has 10,800 miles on it and the tire ware is not to the ware bars but getting close. They seem to have deep tread even below the ware bar. More than my Goldwing ever had. The person that owned this I don't think they drove it real fast and really took care of it. When I had all the plastic off it everything was so clean and looked new. I don't think it was ever rode in the rain.

Has anyone on here used Dyna Beads in their tires? I had 4 Oz's of them so I did put 2 Oz's in each front tires. I have not rode it on the highway since I put them in.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no you.. didn't...😲

Just ask a tire question... not going further than stating I got close to 20,000 on Kendas (oem) tires and the fronts 33,000. Too many variables..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default average tire ware for me.

I have been averaging 16 k on the front tires and 12 k on the rear tire.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
    I have been averaging 16 k on the front tires and 12 k on the rear tire.

Michael
    That is what mine looks like. Do you run them any pass the ware bars?

Spyder Garage

Default tires

The front tires ware on the inside and I go to just below the ware bars. The rear tire usually a bit below the ware bars. I live in a rural area and lots of stone roads, so usually do not let it get too far down. Also here in Texas speeds are 70-85 mph so want to make sure I have a bit of rubber so I do not have a blowout.

I am going to be going to get my first laser alignment when they come out this way. I hope that will make my front tires last a bit longer.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

A question without a firm and good answer. And then, what happens if you add aftermarket brands instead of OEM.

My story: Five different Spyders and OEM on all of the replacements. Dealer will not install aftermarket tires for me.

Fronts: I consistently get 20 - 25K per tire. Bad alignment one time caused pre-mature wear on the 2011.

Rear tires: 13 - 15K per tire. 2014 came out with a softer rubber compound and I ended with 8,900 on that one.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Clarification Please

My rear tire tread(8500 miles) is down to the "blocks" that are located at various places across the rear tire. My tire depth gauge reads 6/32nds at this point, so these can't be the wear bars???? I went on google and found out that Kendas use the little triangles around the side of the tire near the tread as the wear indicators. It seems to me if the tread got that far down, it would be bald.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

Always check across from the triangle on the side of your tire ....
    20160504_090715.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    My rear tire tread(8500 miles) is down to the "blocks" that are located at various places across the rear tire. My tire depth gauge reads 6/32nds at this point, so these can't be the wear bars???? I went on google and found out that Kendas use the little triangles around the side of the tire near the tread as the wear indicators. It seems to me if the tread got that far down, it would be bald.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

After only 1000 miles in the saddle I still find the handling of my RT interesting. There is much talk here of reducing tyre pressures to improve the handling. As I obviously have Kendra fitted is it possible to reduce the pressure in these below the recommended 20 and 28 psi and if so does it help.
    Last edited by RTman10; 07-22-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTman10 View Post
    .... As I obviously have Kendra fitted is it possible to reduce the pressure in these below the recommended 20 and 28 psi and if so does it help.
    Dropping the pressure in the very lightly constructed Kenda tires is REALLY not a good idea & it DEFINITELY does NOT help!!

Not only will reducing the pressures in the OE Kendas make their already lightweight sidewalls much more prone to damage from road hazards, but it will also make their already 'less than normal strength' lightly constructed sidewalls AND the tread belts & compound FAAAAAAARRRR more prone to flexing & therefore heat damage & explosive catastrohpic failure!!

As far as I can see, if you want improved ride, handling, & traction, then your only real choice is to fit properly constructed car tires & run them at the (lower) pressures appropriate for the load your Spyder imposes upon them.

MikeT, the tread doesn't 'wear down' to those triangles, but rather the triangles are there to help you locate the actual 'wear bars' that are found in the main grooves of the tread pattern - the bars that are found in the grooves where there are no corresponding triangles are actually water or ice breakers intended to help stabilise the tread blocks & to force any water or snow/ice that collects in those grooves as you drive on compromised road surfaces out of the circumferential grooves via the sipes so the tires will maintain traction!! If the water & snow/ice collect in those grooves & isn't forced out, you end up hydroplaning!!

So look for the triangles to help you locate the true 'wear bars' & if you find any bars in the grooves without the corresponding triangles, then they aren't 'wear bars'!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Dropping the pressure in the very lightly constructed Kenda tires is REALLY not a good idea & it DEFINITELY does NOT help!!

Not only will reducing the pressures in the OE Kendas make their already lightweight sidewalls much more prone to damage from road hazards, but it will also make their already 'less than normal strength' lightly constructed sidewalls AND the tread belts & compound FAAAAAAARRRR more prone to flexing & therefore heat damage & explosive catastrohpic failure!!

As far as I can see, if you want improved ride, handling, & traction, then your only real choice is to fit properly constructed car tires & run them at the (lower) pressures appropriate for the load your Spyder imposes upon them.

MikeT, the tread doesn't 'wear down' to those triangles, but rather the triangles are there to help you locate the actual 'wear bars' that are found in the main grooves of the tread pattern - the bars that are found in the grooves where there are no corresponding triangles are actually water or ice breakers intended to help stabilise the tread blocks & to force any water or snow/ice that collects in those grooves as you drive on compromised road surfaces out of the circumferential grooves via the sipes so the tires will maintain traction!! If the water & snow/ice collect in those grooves & isn't forced out, you end up hydroplaning!!

So look for the triangles to help you locate the true 'wear bars' & if you find any bars in the grooves without the corresponding triangles, then they aren't 'wear bars'!
    Wont try that then. I suspect though that over here in the old world finding car tyres to fit the back would be difficult. Hopefully that's some time away though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After only 1000 miles in the saddle I still find the handling of my RT interesting. There is much talk here of reducing tyre pressures to improve the handling. As I obviously have Kendra fitted is it possible to reduce the pressure in these below the recommended 20 and 28 psi and if so does it help.
    I just reviewed my RTL's owner manual on tire pressures. The pressures(20-fronts/28-rear) are the "nominal" pressures. You can lower them 2 PSI, and be within BRP's guidelines. Likewise you can raise them 2 PSI.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Time to call in "The Naked Cop"...

No MOre Tire Threads.jpg

Tire mileage is a really personal thing. Your riding habits, the load carried upon the bike, and even the road surfaces; will make the difference.
    Having said that: there is no doubt that a decent automotive style tire will have little problems with outperforming the OEM Kenda tires...

So burn them up first, and then get serious about putting a decent set of tires on your bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dyna beads....

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    What is the average tire mileage on the Spyder? My Spyder has 10,800 miles on it and the tire ware is not to the ware bars but getting close. They seem to have deep tread even below the ware bar. More than my Goldwing ever had. The person that owned this I don't think they drove it real fast and really took care of it. When I had all the plastic off it everything was so clean and looked new. I don't think it was ever rode in the rain.

Has anyone on here used Dyna Beads in their tires? I had 4 Oz's of them so I did put 2 Oz's in each front tires. I have not rode it on the highway since I put them in.
    I switched to Dyna beads for balancing. I'm a believer. I have 26k on my OEM fronts and easily will get 30K before wear bars show. Rear tire I run the Khumo with beads and right now have 15k and lots of tread left. I ryde the '16 F3t .. so yep I'm a believer in the beads.. When I did my research was clear to get the glass beads and not the ceramic ones.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Wont try that then. I suspect though that over here in the old world finding car tyres to fit the back would be difficult. Hopefully that's some time away though.
    It looks like you ride 2-up most of the time. In that case stick with the higher tire pressure my friend.
    Cheers!
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default INSIDE TIRE WEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
    The front tires ware on the inside and I go to just below the ware bars. The rear tire usually a bit below the ware bars. I live in a rural area and lots of stone roads, so usually do not let it get too far down. Also here in Texas speeds are 70-85 mph so want to make sure I have a bit of rubber so I do not have a blowout.

I am going to be going to get my first laser alignment when they come out this way. I hope that will make my front tires last a bit longer.

Michael
    Yes get the Lazer alignment ...however if it's the one from BRP it may not cure the INSIDE wear issue..... the only Lazer system that I have ever heard of that works is from ROLO/ TRU-TRAC , like from Squared Away ...... with a proper alignment your tires will wear evenly ...... Mike