Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTL Radio issues

Think my radio is toast! Bought 2013 RTL in March with 14k miles, everything worked great. Few cosmetic blemishes but all's good. Have ridden bike now for 4+ months 2200 miles, things are starting to show. About 1 month ago radio stopped working on a ride, went to mode setting for audio, was locked to "XM". Shut bike down, restarted, radio is good, finish ride. Since then the radio has worked intermittently, 2 minutes on then silence, now can't even change out of "XM" mode in audio selection. Controls work for all other functions and such. Disconnected battery, and plugs on radio (under right side hand grip), still same after reconnected. New radio $550+. Any suggestions from the forum?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reildeal View Post
    Think my radio is toast! Bought 2013 RTL in March with 14k miles, everything worked great. Few cosmetic blemishes but all's good. Have ridden bike now for 4+ months 2200 miles, things are starting to show. About 1 month ago radio stopped working on a ride, went to mode setting for audio, was locked to "XM". Shut bike down, restarted, radio is good, finish ride. Since then the radio has worked intermittently, 2 minutes on then silence, now can't even change out of "XM" mode in audio selection. Controls work for all other functions and such. Disconnected battery, and plugs on radio (under right side hand grip), still same after reconnected. New radio $550+. Any suggestions from the forum?
    Disconnect the XM receiver. It's on the left side below the passenger seat under the body panel. If nothing changes then radio is probably bad.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering if he even had an XM receiver hooked up to the system...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Disconnect the XM receiver. It's on the left side below the passenger seat under the body panel. If nothing changes then radio is probably bad.
    I had the left side cover off as well and found a 7 or 10 pin round connector not connected to anything, is that the connector you are referring to? I also see the "XM" antenna wire but was not able to trace back to where it goes. I think the previous owner had either "XM" or CB and removed before trade in. I will disassemble and recheck everything, just was getting dark last night when I was working on it.

Spyder Garage

I had the left side cover off as well and found a 7 or 10 pin round connector not connected to anything, is that the connector you are referring to? I also see the "XM" antenna wire but was not able to trace back to where it goes. I think the previous owner had either "XM" or CB and removed before trade in. I will disassemble and recheck everything, just was getting dark last night when I was working on it.
    Did you see the XM receiver unit there? It must be there since the radio won't show an XM screen if no XM receiver is connected. At least it shouldn't. The connector you saw is part of the entertainment harness which crosses over from the radio on the right side to the XM receiver on the left side plus headset connectors for passenger and a connector that plugs into the bike harness for the driver CB. The CB, if it's installed, is on the right side in the same relative location as the XM receiver. CB and XM are separate units from the radio.

Do you see a CB screen on the cluster when you cycle through with the Mode button or push the PTT button? If not, then there is no CB installed. The round connector you saw is probably the passenger headset connector that was just left loose under the cover if there is no CB.

Find the XM receiver and unplug the cable that goes into it to check things out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Did you see the XM receiver unit there? It must be there since the radio won't show an XM screen if no XM receiver is connected. At least it shouldn't. The connector you saw is part of the entertainment harness which crosses over from the radio on the right side to the XM receiver on the left side plus headset connectors for passenger and a connector that plugs into the bike harness for the driver CB. The CB, if it's installed, is on the right side in the same relative location as the XM receiver. CB and XM are separate units from the radio.

Do you see a CB screen on the cluster when you cycle through with the Mode button or push the PTT button? If not, then there is no CB installed. The round connector you saw is probably the passenger headset connector that was just left loose under the cover if there is no CB.

Find the XM receiver and unplug the cable that goes into it to check things out.
    I don't see CB when scolling thru the audio settings, just AM, FM, XM, Weathe,r and NOAA, if I recall correctly.I will dig deeper into it this evening to try and locate the XM receiver. I know the radio is on the right side and the XM should be on Left. Where on the Left side would it be, or about the size of it to know I am looking at the right item. I suppose I could continue tracing the XM radio antenna to locate as well. Thank you all, really hope your suggestions solve these issues, as I don't want to buy a $500 radio anytime soon.

Spyder Garage

I don't see CB when scolling thru the audio settings, just AM, FM, XM, Weathe,r and NOAA, if I recall correctly.I will dig deeper into it this evening to try and locate the XM receiver. I know the radio is on the right side and the XM should be on Left. Where on the Left side would it be, or about the size of it to know I am looking at the right item. I suppose I could continue tracing the XM radio antenna to locate as well. Thank you all, really hope your suggestions solve these issues, as I don't want to buy a $500 radio anytime soon.
    I've never had an XM receiver in my hands so can't say for certain, but I'm going to guess it's about 4" x 6" x 1.5", or smaller. It would be mounted in a near vertical position on the front side of the saddlebag.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BROKEN RADIO

I read the other answers ..... if they don't work out , find a salvage seller and see if you can get one ..... after a wreck the radio has a good chance of not being damaged ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Fixed!

I've never had an XM receiver in my hands so can't say for certain, but I'm going to guess it's about 4" x 6" x 1.5", or smaller. It would be mounted in a near vertical position on the front side of the saddlebag.
    For anyone who has had an issue with your radio not playing and getting "locked" to "XM", i was able to unplug my "XM" module and now I have music again! I am assuming the "XM" module is toast for what ever reason, the module plug could be undone with out any tools I suppose but what IDAHOMTNSPYDER posted was 100% on point where to locate, simple from there. Thank you IDAHOMTNSPYDER

Spyder Garage

For anyone who has had an issue with your radio not playing and getting "locked" to "XM", i was able to unplug my "XM" module and now I have music again! I am assuming the "XM" module is toast for what ever reason, the module plug could be undone with out any tools I suppose but what IDAHOMTNSPYDER posted was 100% on point where to locate, simple from there. Thank you IDAHOMTNSPYDER
    Many owners on the forum here have gotten after market XM receivers and plugged them into the auxiliary port in the trunk. You don't have control of it with the handlebar controls, but it is a lot cheaper. Do a search for satellite radio here or "XM radio site:spyderlovers.com" with Google.

2014 Copper RTS