Spyder Garage

Default Power Steering Noise - 2014 RT

I have recently noticed a noise emitting from the Spyder. It sounds like a belt squeal (slip) and it occurs when I begin turning the handlebars while at a stop. If I begin to put pressure left or right on the bars, it begins squealing. It does not occur while I'm moving and turning, and it does seem to stop once the bike is warmed up a bit. Is the power steering pump belt driven? How concerned should I be? Is it easy to tighten this down?

Thanks,

Jeff

2014 RT Limited

BajaRon sway bar, Tri-axis handlebars, shorty AM/FM antenna, Custom Dynamics HMT brake light with flash, Rivco cell phone mount, Utopia backrest w/pouch, Two Brothers exhaust. Lidlox helmet holder, FOBO TPMS, Drink2Go cup holder, WGT LED mirror light strips, Squared Away laser alignment, Kuhmo Solus 175/55 front tires.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

there is no pump. it is electric assisted steering. dynamic power steering. as for the squeal, idk

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

DPS unit is going out. Get it to the dealer for replacement. Out '14 RT has been in there almost 3 weeks having ours replaced. Same symptom you are having. Squeaking noise when stopped and you start to barely turn the bars.

I was working on a RT Sunday that had came in from Ohio and when I test road it his was doing the same thing. He was hard of hearing and hadn't noticed it. He had 50k+ on the byke.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    DPS unit is going out. Get it to the dealer for replacement. Out '14 RT has been in there almost 3 weeks having ours replaced. Same symptom you are having. Squeaking noise when stopped and you start to barely turn the bars.

I was working on a RT Sunday that had came in from Ohio and when I test road it his was doing the same thing. He was hard of hearing and hadn't noticed it. He had 50k+ on the byke.
    Thanks so much for the insight and advice. I will get it there asap. Can I ask why it's taking them so long to replace yours? Waiting for the part?

2014 RT Limited

BajaRon sway bar, Tri-axis handlebars, shorty AM/FM antenna, Custom Dynamics HMT brake light with flash, Rivco cell phone mount, Utopia backrest w/pouch, Two Brothers exhaust. Lidlox helmet holder, FOBO TPMS, Drink2Go cup holder, WGT LED mirror light strips, Squared Away laser alignment, Kuhmo Solus 175/55 front tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcspyder View Post
    Thanks so much for the insight and advice. I will get it there asap. Can I ask why it's taking them so long to replace yours? Waiting for the part?
    That is a very, very good question. They have not been forthcoming with a satisfactory answer either.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    That is a very, very good question. They have not been forthcoming with a satisfactory answer either.
    Alrighty then. We'll see what my place says. Thanks again.

2014 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hey Guys If You Get New Dps Units Ask To Keep The Old Ones.if you get Them Can I Have, Buy, Beg The Old Electrics.dont Need The Motor Just The Other Part.they Seperate Apart.
    Im guessing The Motor May Have Done A Bearing.

Stu

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Hey Guys If You Get New Dps Units Ask To Keep The Old Ones.if you get Them Can I Have, Buy, Beg The Old Electrics.dont Need The Motor Just The Other Part.they Seperate Apart.

Stu
    They sent our back in for rebuild. Sorry. Check with some of the dealers for a wrecked one they are parting out.

Spyder Garage

ok thanks,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post

Stu

I go in Friday for an "evaluation" before they order any parts. If it is the DPS, I will ask for the old one but my guess is that under warranty they will send it back.

2014 RT Limited