Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 LTD Top Case

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 LTD Top Case

Had the opportunity to put extensive miles on a 17 F3 LTD over the weekend. I had wondered how that top box might effect the handling of this motorcycle. I was hoping that it would not have an impact on the performance, but I found out differently. I was excited about adding the top box for storage but didn't want to sacrifice performance. As I was leading demo rydes I noticed that the NANNYING was far more vigilant with the Box in place. I compared the 17 F3 LTD to the 16 LTD and the 17 F3 S (sport mode not engaged). There was very little difference between the F3 S and the 16 F3LTD, though I could get the rear tire to drift around the corner just a bit Andy the 16 LTD would not. The 17 LTD was very noticeably reined in by the Nanny slowing dramatically in the turns that the other two took like they were on rails.

Has as anyone else noticed this dramatic lack of performance from the addition of the top box? These units were identically set up and completely stock with less than 500 miles on the odometer.

Just curious! Good news is that I may have saved $2000.00
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have not had a chance to ride a 17 F3 Limited, but I was told by my mechanic that the performance difference would be just as you stated. I picked up a 2016 F3T and love it. I do not travel a lot, but I have my Doc Humphrey's rack and pac for those times that I take the wife along. Otherwise, I am able to strap a bag onto the passenger seat and just go.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once that box is stuffed full of lead shot***: it's gonna weigh a heckuva lot! Nanny has probably been told to keep a closer eye on the situation, due to the much higher center of gravity!

Not With Nanny.jpg

*** who ever pays attention to maximum weight limits anyway?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

One thing i have found on my 2016 limited is that with no air in the rear shock the nanny kicks in a hole lot less than with air in the shock!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by five-0 View Post
    One thing i have found on my 2016 limited is that with no air in the rear shock the nanny kicks in a hole lot less than with air in the shock!
    I also find this to be true. On that subject, is there a problem with riding without any air in the shock? I know that they normally leak down a little (just like my 2014 RT), but I tend to not check the pressure unless I am riding a passenger or going on a trip with extra gear and weight.

Spyder Garage

The center of gravity is higher with the top box on and the body roll during cornering is enhanced triggering the nanny. I would think a Baja Ron anti-sway bar would probably help alleviate the body roll.

Spyder Garage

I get the center of gravity thing, that is exactly what I would expect. Quite frankly the top box turns the F3L into a pig. It goes from a Ferrari to a Mini-Van. I really wanted to look into it but not now.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Quite frankly the top box turns the F3L into a pig. It goes from a Ferrari to a Mini-Van.
    I'll bet that at least a dozen folks in here just thought: "Mini-Van... don't you mean an RT?".

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob. I would love to hear from those of you that have added the top box to your 16 F3 L or T. Did you have to do anything to the set up to improve the handling?

Spyder Garage

I for one have not noticed any handling difference in the before or after install of our top case. We are enjoying the much improved storage which is more easily accessed. The case is huge! It can be opened with the passenger still on. Well worth the $1700 investment. We had the dealer do the install, another $200. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tom,
    I'm glad to hear that you and Ali are digging it!
    You've got to stop up one day, and show it to us!
    Maybe we can all get up to Raimondo's for Supper!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default demo

i just returned a 17 f3 with top case and it preformed awesome as good as my 16 f3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Tom,
    I'm glad to hear that you and Ali are digging it!
    You've got to stop up one day, and show it to us!
    Maybe we can all get up to Raimondo's for Supper!

Hey Bob we are ready. Awesome Italian food is always a crowd pleaser. Have to say disappointed that Aaron never called back after his vacation. Maybe Fran didn't give him the message. Ali and I figured it out. With help from a few on the forums. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Could be the problem is just with the17s.

Spyder Garage

Could be the problem is just with the17s.
    Not according to Fatboy, two posts up, Pirate. I had a Victory Vision that I used to ride with and without the top case on a regular basis. The difference was miniscule, and that's on two wheels. The Spyder should be able to cope much more easily, with its three wheels. ..... very, very odd

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default does not have air in the rear shock?

Quote Originally Posted by five-0 View Post
    I believe the F3T does not have a "air rear shock" rather an air pillow which can be inflated via a shrader valve which is under the passenger seat.

Spyder Garage

Default F3T with topcase

I have a 2016 F3T with top case newly installed and I have not noticed any difference in performance.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 F3 L Topcase

I have the topcase for my 2016 F3 L and haven't noticed any issues at all. I enjoy the increased carrying capacity and the extra speakers are a plus. Not sure what the difference in the 2016's and 2017's but no issues on this front.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Hey Bob we are ready. Awesome Italian food is always a crowd pleaser. Have to say disappointed that Aaron never called back after his vacation. Maybe Fran didn't give him the message. Ali and I figured it out. With help from a few on the forums. Tom
    If you can give me a call a day ahead of time: I can clear our plans with The Missus!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rudym View Post
    I believe the F3T does not have a "air rear shock" rather an air pillow which can be inflated via a shrader valve which is under the passenger seat.
    That's correct Rudy.....they are two completely separate pieces, that work together. You can remove and replace the rear shock without touching the air bag. As to why five-0 would get nanny kicking in more when he has air in the bag, I don't know.....The "experts" will have to answer that, as I don't get nanny kicking in and my air bag is running at 50psi.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default top case

I traded for a 16 F3T and then added the top case. I ride with it both on and off and I can't tell any difference.
    She is flat out awesome in the twisties.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Had the opportunity to put extensive miles on a 17 F3 LTD over the weekend. I had wondered how that top box might effect the handling of this motorcycle. I was hoping that it would not have an impact on the performance, but I found out differently. I was excited about adding the top box for storage but didn't want to sacrifice performance. As I was leading demo rydes I noticed that the NANNYING was far more vigilant with the Box in place. I compared the 17 F3 LTD to the 16 LTD and the 17 F3 S (sport mode not engaged). There was very little difference between the F3 S and the 16 F3LTD, though I could get the rear tire to drift around the corner just a bit Andy the 16 LTD would not. The 17 LTD was very noticeably reined in by the Nanny slowing dramatically in the turns that the other two took like they were on rails.

Has as anyone else noticed this dramatic lack of performance from the addition of the top box? These units were identically set up and completely stock with less than 500 miles on the odometer.

Just curious! Good news is that I may have saved $2000.00
    Go ahead - mount the new top case to your '16 F3LTD - you will not lose any performance. Your dealer should have been able to explain the performance difference. That is, if he knew the 2017 F3LTD has the 79tooth rear sprocket(as do all the RTs), whereas the '16 Ltd has the 89tooth sprocket. Thus, the '16 feels like your hotrod, and the new '17 rides like an RT.
    That applies to acceleration, cruising, etc., but I don't know how it would differ in handling through the twisties.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting

I was not aware of that!

Spyder Garage

I had the top box added to my 16 F3T when I bought. Last month I rode the Dragon, The Cherehola Skyway and bunch of twisty roads in North Georgia, NC, and Tenn. bike rode like a dream, had to slow down so I didn't run over the 2 wheel cruisers and I don't think I ride hard. Really liked my RTL but I love this critter.
    Pat
    SIGPIC]2

2016 F3T Lamonster RIP boards, fog lights, Longhorn mirror lights, power plate. SpyderPops skid plate. Painted the silver air intake and grill.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fritzer1 View Post
    That is, if he knew the 2017 F3LTD has the 79tooth rear sprocket(as do all the RTs), whereas the '16 Ltd has the 89tooth sprocket. Thus, the '16 feels like your hotrod, and the new '17 rides like an RT.
    That applies to acceleration, cruising, etc., but I don't know how it would differ in handling through the twisties.
    I wonder if this is true? My mechanic implied that to me when I was having my RT serviced, before picking up my F3T. He told me that if I wanted a F3T, with topcase, to pick up a leftover 2016, and add it (they actually had one in stock) instead of buying a 2017. He said that there was a performance difference. I didn't think about it a lot, because the 2016's were discounted and the 2017's were not. So for me the decision was easy.