Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder dependability

We just returned from our annual 2 week motorcycle vacation, road a total of 4893 miles, towed a camper trailer for the majority of that, and again the Spyder preformed flawlessly! Now have over 24,000 on the Spyder in 2 years and three riding seasons, all with only or minor problems. Antenna broke, and a slight frunk leak.

We left MI via the Badger car ferry out of Ludington to Manitowoc WI. From there we road all back roads for the trip, which included, Beartooth Highway and its snow banks and frozen lakes at the top. This took us into Yellowstone and all of the wildlife there. We traveled on through up to Glacier National Park and road the going to the sun highway a few times. Then it was back to Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons National Park for a couple of days.
    We wanted to get Squared Away, so we road on into the Black Hills and went to the Deadwood Trike rally. Joe and Ann did a GREAT job on the Spyder and it turns to the left great now.
    Then the long uneventful drive home started.

I had put on the Federal formoza front tires and the General AltiMax on the rear, I followed Mike and Peter's recommended tire pressures on front 15# and rear 20# and the two times we were caught in the downpours that happen out west, the wet traction was awesome.

So for all of the ones who worry about the dependability of the Spyder, as Bob always says, "worry less and ride more"!20170704_124334.jpg20170706_193003.jpg20170706_210841.jpg20170708_202836.jpg20170708_183816(0).jpg
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 07-18-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

20170704_123452.jpg20170706_141257.jpg20170706_143456.jpg20170708_173409.jpg20170711_132318.jpg
    Just a few more pics.
    I can't wait until I can retire and take longer trips West coast and Alaska look out, here we come!!

Spyder Garage

Great pictures,thanks for sharing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear about your experience in reliability. I'm planning on a 3000+ mile trip next year and I'm looking forward to the same.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear good things about Spyders from time to time. We are off to Nova Scotia next month on our 2015 RT and I have the same tire combination on the beast now. We have put 8000 miles on it since our purchase in January and we also have been trouble free.

Ah yes, retiring to ride is a blast. I retired at 56 and took off on a ten day trip to Texas Hill Country. The ten days turned into six weeks and I tossed in Natchez Trace, Key West, Everglades, and the Blue Ridge Parkway for giggles. 6800 miles and less than 400 miles on a freeway. Hit the two lanes and back roads, see the real America and meet great folks.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Great pictures.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great pictures! Someday I'll make it out there.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those are beautiful p;ictures!!
    Thanks for sharing them!
    Where are you going next???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Glad to hear good things about Spyders from time to time. We are off to Nova Scotia next month on our 2015 RT and I have the same tire combination on the beast now. We have put 8000 miles on it since our purchase in January and we also have been trouble free.

Ah yes, retiring to ride is a blast. I retired at 56 and took off on a ten day trip to Texas Hill Country. The ten days turned into six weeks and I tossed in Natchez Trace, Key West, Everglades, and the Blue Ridge Parkway for giggles. 6800 miles and less than 400 miles on a freeway. Hit the two lanes and back roads, see the real America and meet great folks.
    I love it when I see people taking their time and enjoying their retirement and the ride!! I'm sooooo jealous.

Our first trip was Novia Scotia the last week of July and first week of August I believe. Be prepared for the fog every morning until about 10, and also for rain. We got rained on 12 out of 14 days, not all day every day, but a good downpour each time. It was still a trip to remember, great times and great views!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Those are beautiful p;ictures!!
    Thanks for sharing them!
    Where are you going next???
    Not sure on the next trip, wife wants to go on a cruise for our 35th anniversary next year, but I told her we would get board riding around the deck of the ship.
    Being limited to 2 weeks vacation sort of puts a bind on next years trip. If I can talk one more week out of the boss I will.
    So far on the spyder we have been from MI up through Canada then over to Nova Scotia and back, last year was to Utah, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, Colorado National Monument, and Estes Park.
    This year we road beartooth highway because of someones suggestion here, and it was as awesome as they said, so as of now I am open to ideas and suggestions.

Would love to see the giant redwoods and ride the Pacific coast highway, 2 weeks is not enough.
    I hear great things about the Texas hill country, New Mexico is intriguing, and the red rocks of Nevada would be great to see.
    If I can only take a week next year, it will be Blue ridge Parkway and Skyline drive again. Always a fun ride for a short trip.

Spyder Garage

Default Great pics and great to hear about The reliability

Thank you for sharing the pics and the testimony about our great machines..!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Glad we could help you enjoy the ride!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great glad to hear some good Spyder news...
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow, what a trip! Fantastic photos. I wouldn't be afraid to hop on my old 2012 RT-S and go about anywhere.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Dependability

Have to agree with all of the above. Took Hwy 2 from the Big Mac Bridge to the west coast and hwy 101 down through California. Dropped down to do the bear tooth in Montana, had some great mountain sweepers for ~ 200 miles in Idaho, traveled the Columbia river gorge over to 101 in Ca. took that down to San Francisco and over to Freemont, Ca to see my sister. Did I mention that I was also pulling my time out trailer the whole way except bear tooth!!! Over 6000 miles with the only hitch being my stupidity and running out of fuel on I-94 in Montana!!! Spyderfest this spring Went to Vermont, New York, New Hampshire the year before. 43K currently and heading back to SpyderQuest this fall. No hicups just plain fun!!. Looking forward to when I retire so I can actually do some ryding!!!!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Have to agree with all of the above. Took Hwy 2 from the Big Mac Bridge to the west coast and hwy 101 down through California. Dropped down to do the bear tooth in Montana, had some great mountain sweepers for ~ 200 miles in Idaho, traveled the Columbia river gorge over to 101 in Ca. took that down to San Francisco and over to Freemont, Ca to see my sister. Did I mention that I was also pulling my time out trailer the whole way except bear tooth!!! Over 6000 miles with the only hitch being my stupidity and running out of fuel on I-94 in Montana!!! Spyderfest this spring Went to Vermont, New York, New Hampshire the year before. 43K currently and heading back to SpyderQuest this fall. No hicups just plain fun!!. Looking forward to when I retire so I can actually do some ryding!!!!!
    That sounds like an awesome trip to CA. Wish I could get that third week to handle that!!
    Up through the up and 2 all the way out to ND a few years ago on the 2 wheeler was a lot of fun. That was my first time of going to Glacier.

Oh the GREAT memories that are created when you get out and enjoy the ride. Even the rain storms give you something to talk and laugh about later...not so funny at the time, but great to look back and talk about how you survived!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    That sounds like an awesome trip to CA. Wish I could get that third week to handle that!!
    Up through the up and 2 all the way out to ND a few years ago on the 2 wheeler was a lot of fun. That was my first time of going to Glacier.

Oh the GREAT memories that are created when you get out and enjoy the ride. Even the rain storms give you something to talk and laugh about later...not so funny at the time, but great to look back and talk about how you survived!
    Thanks for the great pictures. I've been fortunate enough that I got to ride Beartooth on 2 occasions. Yellowstone 3 times and Grand Tetons 1 time. It consisted of a combination of Yellowstone and Tetons on 1 trip and Beartooth and Yellowstone on 2 trips. All three of these trips were done on a Gold Wing GL1800. Didn't experience a single hiccup from the bike. I've been riding Gold Wings since 1981 and each and everyone has been nearly totally trouble free. The last bike I owned was a 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. It too was extremely reliable.

I'm 73 years old and I dropped the Harley on two consecutive Saturdays making me realize that it was time to add a wheel. I got a good deal on a 2010 Spyder RTS SM5. The plan is the take it to the Rockies of Colorado in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping and praying that the Spyder will perform as well as my previous bikes, reliability wise. So far, the Spyder has been great to ride and I certainly enjoy the fact the I don't have to balance 900 lbs of motorcycle at stopsigns and in parking lots.

So I'm not only new to this board, I'm also a newbie to the Can-Am Spyder. So far, I'm enjoying both.
    Last edited by jaapkroes; 07-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    Jaap Kroes
    Ham Radio Call Sign KR0ES
    2014 Pearl White RTS SE5
    2010 RTS - SM5 , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaapkroes View Post
    Thanks for the great pictures. I've been fortunate enough that I got to ride Beartooth on 2 occasions. Yellowstone 3 times and Grand Tetons 1 time. It consisted of a combination of Yellowstone and Tetons on 1 trip and Beartooth and Yellowstone on 2 trips. All three of these trips were done on a Gold Wing GL1800. Didn't experience a single hiccup from the bike. I've been riding Gold Wings since 1981 and each and everyone has been nearly totally trouble free. The last bike I owned was a 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. It too was extremely reliable.

I'm 73 years old and I dropped the Harley on two consecutive Saturdays making me realize that it was time to add a wheel. I got a good deal on a 2010 Spyder RTS SM5. The plan is the take it to the Rockies of Colorado in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping and praying that the Spyder will perform as well as my previous bikes, reliability wise. So far, the Spyder has been great to ride and I certainly enjoy the fact the I don't have to balance 900 lbs of motorcycle at stopsigns and in parking lots.

So I'm not only new to this board, I'm also a newbie to the Can-Am Spyder. So far, I'm enjoying both.
    Glad to have you here. on the new purchase.
    I have never owned the V twin so I can't give you any first hand experience on how to ride it. I have read here that you need to keep the RPM up on those and that is where most new riders to the v twin suffer.

I think you will love the stability of the Spyder, then you have the fact that yo NEVER have to worry about where to put the kickstand down again. Then if it hot outside you had to put something under the kickstand, which meant bending over and picking it up after you were on the bike. Those days are now gone, now its hit the parking brake and get off to do what you want with no worries about if it will be upright when you get back.

Spyder Garage

That sounds like a great vacation - something similar to what I hope to do someday.

I too am longing for retirement in 4 long years so I can go on trips farther and for longer. It would be nice to not have to rush back home for a little thing called work.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Reliability

Last fall I purchased a 2009 RS SE5 with 21,000 miles. I have put over 3500 trouble free miles on it so far. It has been a fun ride and my wife likes coming along. It is much easier to ride two up than my Nomad, which I still enjoy riding solo.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for sharing those awesome pictures, great to hear about reliability, I will one day take a long road trip.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Great Write-up and Great pics! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020