Spyder Garage

Default rt steering angle sensor required

im repairing a power steering box and require a steering angle sensor.this is attached to the cicuit board and requires a fait bit of effort to get off.does anyone know where i can buy one.i assume that brp buy them in to fit or if theres another company that i can buy direct from.theres no name on it but there is a QR i havnt got to scan yet.

thanks for any help.stu

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    im repairing a power steering box and require a steering angle sensor.this is attached to the cicuit board and requires a fait bit of effort to get off.does anyone know where i can buy one.i assume that brp buy them in to fit or if theres another company that i can buy direct from.theres no name on it but there is a QR i havnt got to scan yet.

thanks for any help.stu
    Stu. I believe this is what it's called, but check my work. This is the one for the 2012. You didn't mention your year. It is listed under Electrical Accessories in those exploded parts diagrams. Not cheap. Check with the company to see if they ship internationally.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...osition-sensor

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if you have access to B.U.D.S., but you will need to calibrate it when done or it will not steer correctly.

Spyder Garage

Default Calibrating...

cheapcycleparts.com will get you the part at a better price and once installed if you don't have BUDS you can run by any shop that does the laser alignment and have them get it all tuned up for you.... they use the system...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT STEERING SENSOR

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Stu. I believe this is what it's called, but check my work. This is the one for the 2012. You didn't mention your year. It is listed under Electrical Accessories in those exploded parts diagrams. Not cheap. Check with the company to see if they ship internationally.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...osition-sensor
    ..... But how do you know this needs replacing ??? .... It's an expensive part, make sure this is needed before you buy it....... It's NOT returnable ........ just a thought .....good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

thanks for help everyone.ok the bit im looking for is inside the steering unit,it is soldered to the circuit board and is a black plastic part that the steering column shaft goes through and out to the steering couplings and arms.this i assumed is the steering angle or torque sensor as it is turned by the column.it doesnt look like the unit being suggested.the dps im working on is out of a 2012 rt i believe.i dont have the bike only the whole dps unit.ive stripped the unit down and that is the bit i found.i cant do picture sorry,not up to tech speed.

stu

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Stu. Well, here's some pictures out of the manual of both the Torque and Steering Angle sensors. Hope you're looking for one of these. The torque sensor IS internal to the unit and I didn't find it listed as a separate part. That's probably why. But, depending on what got you into this in the first place, you may be needing both sensors, anyway. And of course, you're going to need BUDS to reset them. Good luck with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to say you are delving into a part that is considered non-repairable. I've never seen reconditioned DPS units being sold which would indicate that internal parts are not made available other than to the original manufacturer. Even if you could find the torque sensor there probably is some sort of calibration process required after assembly because it is measuring very minute changes in magnetic field strength.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

yep the diagram on the far right is what im after.thats the torque sensor internal,.the drive motor and all the circuit board is in good condition.the working part is the sensor and it would be the bit getting the wear.someone would be making them for brp, i figured if anyone knows of a supplier to the industry and can get this working again for little cost,well at least less than a whole unit.
    the buds will recallibrate it when its put back in.i hate throwing whole parts out that can be repaired if we can get the one part.

live in hope.

cheers stu and thanks for all the help so far you guys are amazing on this forum.