Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hitch And Harness Question

Has anyone purchased a hitch and plug and play wiring harness from canamspyderaccessories.com? I bought a harbor freight tag along trailer today for My 2015 RT limited. My dealer wants about 730 dollars to put on the oem hitch and harness. I watched a few videos from the above website and liked the fact that the hitch can be put on in about 5 minutes and the harness that is plug and play can be done with very minimal removal of panels. I know theirs is about 500 dollars which still saves me over 200 dollars. I saw others cheaper but wasn't sure if putting on their hitch was just as easy. I seen some wiring harness where you connect it to the battery directly but that looks like a few more panels to be removed.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I purchased the hitch and the plug and play harness from Pierre last month and it was a complete dream to install. I did have his video on during the install and I paused it at every step. It did not take long at all and it was much easier than he makes it look.

My 622 is a 2014 and has the 4 pin square harness, the plug and play was 4 pin flat, Pierre suggested cutting a square apart and putting it back together, well that would be a nightmare.

A company called Wesbar makes a flat to square pigtail, their website can direct you to a dealer. It is a perfect fit, except the one I got had the green and brown wires switched, not a problem, I cut the cable and switched them, then heat shrieked them together again.

Now the trailer works behind other vehicles or my Spyder.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Someone posted a problem with the wiring harness from Pierre, I think last week. He had Hyperflash with the trailer connected. When he reset to correct it. He then had hyper flash with the trailer disconnected. I looked at a picture of the harness on Pierre's website. He is using the wrong module. He needs to be using a powered isolation converter module. Not a simple converter module. Too bad it looks well made. Just the wrong part used.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. I didn't want to spend that kind of money and find out it wasn't that easy to install or that the nanny would have issues with the plug and play harness.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Someone posted a problem with the wiring harness from Pierre, I think last week. He had Hyperflash with the trailer connected. When he reset to correct it. He then had hyper flash with the trailer disconnected. I looked at a picture of the harness on Pierre's website. He is using the wrong module. He needs to be using a powered isolation converter module. Not a simple converter module. Too bad it looks well made. Just the wrong part used.
    Seriously? Now I don't know what to do. I know I can buy the isolated harness that connects to the battery, I just didn't want to take off a bunch of Tupper ware to do it. My luck I would buy the one front canamspyderaccessories and also have issues.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ok, whatever, he asked for opinions I gave him mine from personal experience.

Since the easy installation I have pulled that 622 on four different day trips, maybe 150 miles each, the lights, blinkers, flashers, brakes, whatever are doing what they are supposed to do. Pierre may be using the wrong part, in YOUR opinion, but that wrong part is working at least for now just fine.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 08-02-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HITCH AND HARNESS

Quote Originally Posted by Jolvyc View Post
    Seriously? Now I don't know what to do. I know I can buy the isolated harness that connects to the battery, I just didn't want to take off a bunch of Tupper ware to do it. My luck I would buy the one front canamspyderaccessories and also have issues.
    They are separate items and really have no relation to one another ..... you can get Pierre's Hitch and get the Harness from Value Accessories and you are all set ...... All harnesses go on the same way ...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the problem is that the reset was with the trailer attached, so when the trailer was disconnected it needed to be reset since the system saw fewer lights.

I had this problem when I installed a set of LED's, and had the hyper-flash. I reset the flashers, and after I removed the LED's (I did not like them) I had to once again reset the flashers.

Just a thought.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

If you have a newer spyder you can. If you have the older generation like I have my dealer said I needed the trailer module from can am to protect the motor/trans. It installed very easy. Hardest part was Tupperware. The have instructions on the BRPinstall.com or something like that. Make sure you get all the parts, there is the ball hitch part. The trailer control module, the control module harness. And the trailer wire harness which now has the 4 square. You can get 4 square from napa cut it and make a 4 flat too.

Spyder Garage

219400432 is the part number for the roadster kit . Instructions.brp.com is where you can print pdf files.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Danz28 View Post
    If you have the older generation like I have my dealer said I needed the trailer module from can am to protect the motor/trans.
    That is just a lie. What else has the dealer told you that is BS.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I think the problem is that the reset was with the trailer attached, so when the trailer was disconnected it needed to be reset since the system saw fewer lights.

I had this problem when I installed a set of LED's, and had the hyper-flash. I reset the flashers, and after I removed the LED's (I did not like them) I had to once again reset the flashers.

Just a thought.
    Of course that what's going on. But you should not have to reset the flash everytime you connect or disconnect the trailer.

Also what happens if you get a short in the trailer. You will lose the Spyder lights as well. A powered isolated module should be used.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

That is just a lie. What else has the dealer told you that is BS.
    Just got off vacation and haven't checked the forum . I also haven't made a decision yet on which one to go with. If I need a specific wiring harness that is plug and play, where or whom do you suggest I go to get the right one.

I hate when a wiring harness works for some bikes and that same harness might not work on another. At least it seems the hitch whether OEM or aftermarket works for all.

Spyder Garage

Just got off vacation and haven't checked the forum . I also haven't made a decision yet on which one to go with. If I need a specific wiring harness that is plug and play, where or whom do you suggest I go to get the right one.

I hate when a wiring harness works for some bikes and that same harness might not work on another. At least it seems the hitch whether OEM or aftermarket works for all.
    If you contact Billy (parts manager) at iMotorsports and tell him you're a Spyderlover, he'll give you a good price on a BRP hitch.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Showchrome Harness here

I used the Showchrome harness and hitch off Amazon. Their harness does go up to the battery, but you don't want to run lights on your trailer through the onboard computer. This harness just uses the signals to turn on/off relays. I had to add the $25 5 wire to 4 wire converter from Autozone. I also have the Harbor Freight tag along, swapped in LED's. Also be sure to grease the bearings, they are almost dry from the factory.

Don't worry about removing tupperware! Lots of videos. The hardest part is getting used to popping off the mirrors. Scared me the first time. I got the Mirror Magic mounts, as once I learned to take off the panels myself I went to town on farkles and wiring of LED's!!

Spyder Garage

Since you are going with a harbour freight trailer. It will be a 4 wire system. So with that in mind.

First option would be to get a BRP hitch kit. It has the wiring harness that is plug and play. Also has the hitch, mudflap and all the other parts for a complete installation. Then the only mod would be to swap out one or the other of the 4 pole plugs to be compatible or make an adapter.

Second would be to custom make a plug and play harness. I did that. Not that hard if you have the skills for that option. Then any aftermarket hitch of your choice.

Third. Get the Show Chrome harness made for the RT all years. It is a little harder to install. Instead of one plug to Y into. There are 2, plus a ground a power wire to connect. It ends with 5 bare wires. So then a 3 to 2 convertor and plug need to convert to 4 wire system on the trailer.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have the hitch that you are interested in from Pierre at CanAm Spyderaccessories.com. It is very well made and I like his solution to the up/down movement of the hitch. It is very solid and will not move at all when mounted. Very easy to mount.You will have to supply your own hitch ball.

I also used his wiring harness and if you have a 4 wire plug it is truly plug and play. The plastic is easy to remove and there are at least 2 videos on youtube showing you how to access the area for the wiring.

I have a 5 wire trailer to I changed his wiring over to a 5 wire plug.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default I just bought the hitch and wiring harness from Pierre

I just ordered the hitch and wiring harness from Can Am accessories. I should be getting it by the end of this week. I will be picking up the Ion Cargo Trailer from Time Out trailers. We bought their Deluxe Camping Trailer but my husband tows that one with his Indian Roadmaster. My can am will be towing the Ion

2015 RT-S Special Series
    Ultimate Seats-Tall boy with backrest and chrome gas door, Extended brake pedal, Tall Windshield, brushed chrome replaced with shiny chrome, Baja Ron anti-sway bar, Tri Axis handlebar, Rivco highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust, ISCI hand brake, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Rivco Trunk mounted double flag holder for American Flag and PA State Flag, Magic Mirrors, Can Am Accessories hitch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got off vacation and haven't checked the forum . I also haven't made a decision yet on which one to go with. If I need a specific wiring harness that is plug and play, where or whom do you suggest I go to get the right one. I hate when a wiring harness works for some bikes and that same harness might not work on another. At least it seems the hitch whether OEM or aftermarket works for all.
    You might consider resale value of your Spyder in your decision. I know that I would not give full price for a Spyder that had been wired with after-market hitch and harness; too many potential problems with that. I have OEM hitches and harness on both my RT's and never had a problem with either of my non-OEM (4 flat) trailers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You might consider resale value of your Spyder in your decision. I know that I would not give full price for a Spyder that had been wired with after-market hitch and harness; too many potential problems with that. I have OEM hitches and harness on both my RT's and never had a problem with either of my non-OEM (4 flat) trailers.
    Exactly why I like the plug and play option. If I decide to upgrade and trade my Spyder in I want to get the best resale value possible. That is why I don't want to have anything to do with splicing wires if possible. If the next owner doesn't like what was done then they just have to unplug the harness and put things back to the original way. I am also waiting on a response from my dealer on exact pricing to do the whole job. He kinda made me take a pause though when he said he hasn't done one in a couple of years. I don't want someone with their hands in my machine not knowing what they are doing. This is why I am torn between them doing it and maybe doing it myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    I just ordered the hitch and wiring harness from Can Am accessories. I should be getting it by the end of this week. I will be picking up the Ion Cargo Trailer from Time Out trailers. We bought their Deluxe Camping Trailer but my husband tows that one with his Indian Roadmaster. My can am will be towing the Ion
    Please keep me updated on how everything works out for you. I don't doubt that there were issues with some as BillyBovine has described. I know that Buckeye and Pegasus so far has no problems and that is encouraging, but both of their machines were made pre 2015. If I am reading correctly your Spyder is the same year as mine. I am also not sure if the computers from year to year are different and maybe more finicky from year to year.

Spyder Garage

This is why I am torn between them doing it and maybe doing it myself.
    The installation of the BRP hitch and module is very easy. It's all plug and play. If you've never removed the tupperware, it can be intimidating, But that's only because you've never done it. It really isn't all that difficult. Besides, it'll be a learning experience.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP will not warranty aftermarket hitches installed except the BRP hitch and comes with the module/harness

Spyder Garage

This is why I am torn between them doing it and maybe doing it myself.
    If you decide to do it yourself the only thing to be aware of is the plastic piece that wraps around the back of your RT trunk. There are two things
    1) when you are taking it off be aware that there are 4 screws (2 each side) under saddlebag door. The front tab is difficult to remove and more then one has been broken. Just take your time and you will get it out ok. If they are already broken you know somebody has been in there before. Mine where,probably by the dealer but I can't prove it.

2) When putting it back together there is a little tab in the middle of that same piece that that has to be hooked under the other plastic or you will not get your trunk to latch.

There are some good videos on you tube,including one Pierre did on installing his own equipment. Watch as he both removes and installs that plastic piece as he gets it right both times.

He runs his wires down the rear of his bag to the hitch,I ran mine down the front as that was easier for me.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If you decide to do it yourself the only thing to be aware of is the plastic piece that wraps around the back of your RT trunk. There are two things
    1) when you are taking it off be aware that there are 4 screws (2 each side) under saddlebag door. The front tab is difficult to remove and more then one has been broken. Just take your time and you will get it out ok. If they are already broken you know somebody has been in there before. Mine where,probably by the dealer but I can't prove it.

2) When putting it back together there is a little tab in the middle of that same piece that that has to be hooked under the other plastic or you will not get your trunk to latch.

There are some good videos on you tube,including one Pierre did on installing his own equipment. Watch as he both removes and installs that plastic piece as he gets it right both times.

He runs his wires down the rear of his bag to the hitch,I ran mine down the front as that was easier for me.
    Since I always like easy, what do you mean when you say you ran it down the front? Do you mean further under the passenger seat and out under the back trunk with the harness plug coming out centered with the hitch?