Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Filter

Can someone tell me where the transmission filter is located on a Spyder RT Roadster? Is it on the left side? I have all the plastic removed on the right side and have replaced the engine filter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Can someone tell me where the transmission filter is located on a Spyder RT Roadster? Is it on the left side? I have all the plastic removed on the right side and have replaced the engine filter.
    If it's a 998 it's on the left side if it's a 1300 cc it's on the right side on the 998 it's in the same area as the engine filter on the 1300 cc is behind the lower right-hand cover its changed at 28,000 miles there is a great video on it on YouTube how to change it
    Last edited by jtoro1; 07-17-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I'll be monitoring this post to learn about this

I'm interested in this post.

Spyder Garage

me three

Spyder Garage

Here is a great example of telling us all the info about your mystery Spyder would make for faster, easier and simpler answers. As a suggestion. If you put the model, year and modifications in your signature. That info would appear in every post. That way you would not have to guess what info we may need to answer your question.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Information about transmission filter.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Here is a great example of telling us all the info about your mystery Spyder would make for faster, easier and simpler answers. As a suggestion. If you put the model, year and modifications in your signature. That info would appear in every post. That way you would not have to guess what info we may need to answer your question.
    I will list my Can Am Spyder in my signature. I just purchased it last Thursday. I purchased it with 10,000 miles on and did not know for sure the last service. I have always did my own service on my motorcycles. I am finding out Can Am Spyder dealer's don't even know their bikes. I have a 2015 Can Am Spyder Roadster with paddle shift it has the 1300 engine. I went to a dealer with the bike the parts man looked at it. I told him I wanted everything I needed to service it. This gentlemen said I needed #219800263 service kit price of $77.00. I live 60 miles from the dealer so I took his word and when I got home I opened it and there were no oil rings for the filter or drain plug. The next day I went back and he said they did not come with the kit. It did have two filters one for the engine and one for the transmission and to washers for the drain plugs. I itold him to give me all the oil rings I would need. He had his shop man come and they gave me several oil rings $31.59 worth. I then went home put it in my shop blocked it up and drained the oil and removed the engine filter. Right away I see the filter was not right. The filter I took out was #956744 the one they gave me was #956747 it did not have a hole through only on one end. I call them up and they were sorry but is was the wrong filter. So they agreed to next day air me the right filter. Mean while I asked them where the transmission filter was located they put me on hold. About ten minutes later a gentleman come on and said not to worry about changing the transmission filter to return it and the wrong filter. I don't understand I was told to change both filters each oil change. I notice on here someone said to change it at 28,000 miles. Is there any one on here that knows and is there a video that shows changing the transmission filter. I find all kinds of videos showing changing oil. I had no problem doing that if I would have had the right filter. So far I really like the Spyder but I won't have it long if this keeps. I quick riding BMW's because of all these kind of problems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    I'm interested in this post.
    I hope we can both learn something from this. I love the machine but it is so different from any motorcycle I have had. I have been riding for 62 years.

Spyder Garage

I will list my Can Am Spyder in my signature. I just purchased it last Thursday. I purchased it with 10,000 miles on and did not know for sure the last service. I have always did my own service on my motorcycles. I am finding out Can Am Spyder dealer's don't even know their bikes. I have a 2015 Can Am Spyder Roadster with paddle shift it has the 1300 engine. I went to a dealer with the bike the parts man looked at it. I told him I wanted everything I needed to service it. This gentlemen said I needed #219800263 service kit price of $77.00. I live 60 miles from the dealer so I took his word and when I got home I opened it and there were no oil rings for the filter or drain plug. The next day I went back and he said they did not come with the kit. It did have two filters one for the engine and one for the transmission and to washers for the drain plugs. I itold him to give me all the oil rings I would need. He had his shop man come and they gave me several oil rings $31.59 worth. I then went home put it in my shop blocked it up and drained the oil and removed the engine filter. Right away I see the filter was not right. The filter I took out was #956744 the one they gave me was #956747 it did not have a hole through only on one end. I call them up and they were sorry but is was the wrong filter. So they agreed to next day air me the right filter. Mean while I asked them where the transmission filter was located they put me on hold. About ten minutes later a gentleman come on and said not to worry about changing the transmission filter to return it and the wrong filter. I don't understand I was told to change both filters each oil change. I notice on here someone said to change it at 28,000 miles. Is there any one on here that knows and is there a video that shows changing the transmission filter. I find all kinds of videos showing changing oil. I had no problem doing that if I would have had the right filter. So far I really like the Spyder but I won't have it long if this keeps. I quick riding BMW's because of all these kind of problems.

First off you should have referred to the section in your owners manual about when said service is required on your machine. First oil change is at 3000 miles and then every 9600 miles or annually. The transmission filter is good for 28000 miles and costs about $100.00. As you stated you have a SE6 so it only needs 5 quarts of oil. If you do the oil change correctly you need 2 o-rings and a crush washer for the engine oil plug, a crush washer for the transmission drain plug and 2 small o-rings, 1 large o-ring for the oil filter. It looks like your dealer Parts Department needed better training in getting the correct parts.

Spyder Garage

Hi gerald37,

Re: I won't have it long if this keeps.

IMO you should dump the dealer(s) and just buy everything from BajaRon. He is a sponsor on here.

Ron has always treated me well on anything that I have bought from him.

And, while it might take a few days, he will respond to your questions; just send them via email.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on the new ryde!
    Here is how I did mine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_4a4rmErHk

Spyder Garage

219800263 is the wrong kit. It's for a SE5 998 engine. Not for a 1330 SE6. That's why it had the wrong filter, extra trans filter, no o-rings. Only part of the kit that was correct was the oil.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Service

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    First off you should have referred to the section in your owners manual about when said service is required on your machine. First oil change is at 3000 miles and then every 9600 miles or annually. The transmission filter is good for 28000 miles and costs about $100.00. As you stated you have a SE6 so it only needs 5 quarts of oil. If you do the oil change correctly you need 2 o-rings and a crush washer for the engine oil plug, a crush washer for the transmission drain plug and 2 small o-rings, 1 large o-ring for the oil filter. It looks like your dealer Parts Department needed better training in getting the correct parts.
    I purchased the unit from a Honda dealer who was selling it for a customer. It had 10,000 miles on it and the Honda dealer did not know anything about it. I did call the gentleman that owned it. He told me he knew very little about it. He owned it for one year and put 600 miles on it. He did not have time to ride it. The original person that purchased it new lived in Minnesota and he said the man moved away and he did not know where he is now. He was sure it had the first service change at around 3000 miles but did know any more. This is why I am serving it now. The oil rings and washers that you mentioned is what I have now and they are shipping me the right filter. I have it on blocks and all oil drained from engine and transmission the drain plugs back in and torque. You say it only need 5 quarts of oil. I will put the oil in as it says so not to over fill it, I really appreciate you and all the help I have received on this website. I have got all the plastic off both sides so to run some wiring for my heated gear, GPS and another power socket. The dealer said to return the wrong filter and transmission filter. It is probably wrong filter also. I won't worry about the transmission filter at this time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Change dealer

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi gerald37,

Re: I won't have it long if this keeps.

IMO you should dump the dealer(s) and just buy everything from BajaRon. He is a sponsor on here.

Ron has always treated me well on anything that I have bought from him.

And, while it might take a few days, he will respond to your questions; just send them via email.

Jerry Baumchen
    You are right and I did go on BajaRon website. Looks like he knows what is needed. My next service I will purchase the oil and filter kit. I did watch the video with the gentleman changing the filter in the transmission. It looks pretty easy but they say you don't need to until 28,000 miles. I will probably do mind befor that.

Spyder Garage

Default Bought the oil filters, crush washers, and orings from Ron for our 2015 RTs

Also changed out the wife's HCM filter at the oil change closest to the 28,000 mile mark, and she traded the 15 RT for an 16 F3T so I have another year before I get to change her HCM filter again. It looks to be different than the HCM filter on my 15 RT. I think I only counted about 3 mounting bolts compared to the 6 on my RT filter. I guess I need to research the filter for the F3 before next year.

My next oil change on my 15 base RT SE6 is around 30,000 miles so I'll probably change the HCM filter then. I'll plan to have a little down time to let everything drain overnight.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 ACE ENGINE

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Also changed out the wife's HCM filter at the oil change closest to the 28,000 mile mark, and she traded the 15 RT for an 16 F3T so I have another year before I get to change her HCM filter again. It looks to be different than the HCM filter on my 15 RT. I think I only counted about 3 mounting bolts compared to the 6 on my RT filter. I guess I need to research the filter for the F3 before next year.

My next oil change on my 15 base RT SE6 is around 30,000 miles so I'll probably change the HCM filter then. I'll plan to have a little down time to let everything drain overnight.
    , IMHO since they are same engine, the HCM filter will be the same .... type and location .... but you can check with Doc H ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post

All of the Rotax 1330 motors take the same trans filter. There has been some part # changes on this filter. But the change must either be some internal upgrade or nothing more than altering the number for BRP's internal accounting. Because externally. They are identical.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Mike and Ron--

Guess the F3T just looks different without the tupperware that I've grown accustomed to removing. I have the 2nd 1156 HCM filter on the shelf for my next change and I'll have to look at my brake pad stock and get ready for the "slower" riding season when I can tackle some of those projects.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default 2008 Spyder RS trans. filter.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am looking for the trans. filter change frequency. Some say every engine filter change. That does not seem right since it is not even listed in the manual for change. I assume it is located on the left side of the 990, though postings about that are confusing too.
    Harold Knobel, Newbe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Knobel View Post
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am looking for the trans. filter change frequency. Some say every engine filter change. That does not seem right since it is not even listed in the manual for change. I assume it is located on the left side of the 990, though postings about that are confusing too.
    Harold Knobel, Newbe
    You do not say if your 08 is a manual or a semiautomatic model. A manual does not have a trans filter or more accurately a HCM filter. That is because the manual does not have a HCM.

Guessing if you have a SE model. The filter is changed every oil change. That is different than stated in your owners manual. BRP policy has changed. If you buy a BRP oil kit for a SE. It will have both filters in it.
    Last edited by billybovine; 12-08-2017 at 09:35 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Later manual

Here is a page out of the 2013 RS manual that reflects the change in the maintenance schedule. Highlighted in yellow is the HCM filter change. If you wish you can download a manual for a 2013 model for an updated maintenance schedule from brp.com

2013 RS manual.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Transmissio0n Filter

filter
    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You do not say if your 08 is a manual or a semiautomatic model. A manual does not have a trans filter or more accurately a HCM filter. That is because the manual does not have a HCM.

Guessing if you have a SE model. The filter is changed every oil change. That is different than stated in your owners manual. BRP policy has changed. If you buy a BRP oil kit for a SE. It will have both filters in it.

Harold here again. No, it is a manual tranny, no wonder it is not mentioned in the manual. Good, nothing to worry about there then.

That solved, may I ask where the emissions canister would be it it still has one? Perhaps the previous owner took it off.
    Harold

Spyder Garage

It is a chronic problem that posters ask or give advise without the very critical detail of which model and year Spyder they are discussing. I know customers who have used oil recommended by a 1330cc owner only to have clutch slippage in their 998cc Spyder. Same with Sway Bar recommendations and installs.

I'm not blaming anyone here. It is natural to think that what works for your Spyder will work for all of them.

As stated before. The original BRP recommendation was to change the trans filter in the 998 every other oil change. This was never a good idea (pointed out by many Spyder owners at the time). And BRP changed this recommendation when they discovered the obvious!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-09-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is a chronic problem that posters ask or give advise without the very critical detail of which model and year Spyder they are discussing.
    An excellent observation.
    At a minimum those asking questions should give year and model of their Spyder.
    Those responding should read the original post and answer the question(s) asked.
    When someone says their arm hurts we get responses telling them how to heal an ankle.
    The result is confusing and often wrong advice.
    Wouldn't hurt to read through all the posts so we don't get the same answer 4 or more times.
    At least when the question has the info needed, the answers given are very useful.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default Service parts

Here here, Bajaron, Great bloke, very honest, I live in France and he's always done me proud, I try to buy all I can from him.

Alex
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black