Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOPE THIS DOESN'T OFFEND ANYONE

Spyder Garage

i have been reading about this for some time. it is so wrong, but has been going on for years. i hate it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Great Dane

So I guess my 170 pound Great Dane ( Kaos ) would keep the restaurant supplied for a week. I HATE this.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I will never forget on my honeymoon my wife & i were in taiwan for a few days staying at her cousins, so i joke about eating
    dog and she says 'no they don't do that here anymore, it's been about 4 or 5 years'. that was in 2004.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And I'll say that even though I really like a good hot dog!

202903.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

And I'll say that even though I really like a good hot dog!

202903.jpg
    when i first was dating my wife she had one of those dogs & his name was sausage. while we stayed at cousins we called her
    dog lunch box.

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

There are just certain animals we don't think about eating here....but in other parts of the world they have different ideas. It's not a health or dietary issue after all we will eat Bambi but not Lassie, Kitty or Flicka. Guess we are just the ones that don't eat pets... definitly not liking their choices....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default About three years ago

My who brother lives in the Philippines, told me how his dog ran away, and he offered a reward if anyone found the dog. All his friends told him not to waste his time looking for the dog, that it was eaten (I forget the word they used), but he never gave up hope. A week later the dog was found, and returned.

I asked him about dog being eaten there, and he said while it is now illegal to eat dog. It is still done by some because they grew up doing so, and when you are hungry you will do anything to eat.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I like our ways better. Glad we don't have to go that far down the food chain for sustenance.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-17-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure that your pantry is well-stocked!

Bambi Helper.jpgSquirrel Helper.jpg

Spyder Garage

I am also one of the few that does not like wild game. I have had bear and moose in my yard. I shoot them with my camera if I can. Squirrel and deer--have tried them, but don't like them either.

I guess I am mostly a cow, pig, chicken, and fish type of person.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing tastes better than fresh wild game, that has been taken in a Sporting manner!
    (IMHO...)

Spyder Garage

I like some wild game more than others. Elk is an all time favorite. Squirrel and snake and other rodents you can keep. We have venison and boar in our freezer most of the time thanks to very good sporting friends of ours.

Another animal most western countries do not consume is horse. But its very different in other parts of the world. Things developed differently there. I was recently on an extended business trip in Kazakhstan. Horse meat is normal if not expensive there. It can be found in supermarkets. I was pushed repeatedly while there to try it. On my last night in country we went to a very nice restaurant and again I was chided to try. I gave in. While I will never get over the mental hangups with it, I can say it would be a very close second to Elk. It was very good. Most in our traveling party still would not try.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it helps if you keep our origins somewhere lurking near your preconceptions.
    We evolved from a start where you either ate... or you were eaten!
    Guess which side I chose to remain on!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yuk!!!! How about some warning with the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There are just certain animals we don't think about eating here....but in other parts of the world they have different ideas. It's not a health or dietary issue after all we will eat Bambi but not Lassie, Kitty or Flicka. Guess we are just the ones that don't eat pets... definitly not liking their choices....
    Or Thumper!

In parts of Peru they raise guinea pigs for food. It's called cuy (pronounced "KOO-wee"). I visited a home, more like a cabin, with dirt floor. The cuy were in a small pen in the corner. The family cooked outside and slept in a loft. I also got to taste that local delicacy!
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 07-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nothing tastes better than fresh wild game, that has been taken in a Sporting manner!
    (IMHO...)
    Hey predator, how does human taste?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See Post #9...

Spyder Garage

Going back to dogs..... (& btw, I have witnessed this first hand.....) the thing that really gets me is that in (some? maybe most?) 3rd world rural areas where dog has been known to feature on the menu, the animals that eventually grace the dinner table frequently help keep the errmm...... let's just say 'human waste' from polluting the countryside!

So even if you might be prepared to chance tasting it, the very first time you visit a tiny rural hamlet & see a kid (or an adult!) just squat in the street to void some waste, then stand up & call the local dog pack over to clean it up will be the very last time you even THINK that you might be able to gag down even a tiny morsel of dog meat!!

From there on in during that particular 'back country trip', I just went vegetarian!

Mind you, I felt somewhat more nauseated when I discovered exactly why the Sherpa's who suck on a small smooth pebble to keep their mouth from drying out too much at high altitude always carry TWO pebbles & scrupulously keep them separated..... and why they will NEVER just pick up a pebble from beside the track like I did.... once.... to their horror!! And mine!!

Spyder Garage

Default I wanted to

When I was stationed in South Korea I wanted to try dog, now before I get blasted. First, I'm a dog loving person and have a beautiful boxer I would never think of eating, the dogs eaten are raised for just that they are not household pets, no different than raising cows for consumption. You can read Wikipedia and they will say, labradors, retrievers, and even household pets are consumed.first off Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information.

My personal experience: Not far from where I lived was a dog farm, I won't say the conditions were the best, but it was not like some of the Chicken farms, or a particular VA farm (that deals in ham) I have seen. The dogs were small and generally white (kind of like a Spitz).
    It is not sold in every restaurant or store and is quite hard to find unless you know a local that can get it or tell you where. As a westerner, it is extremely difficult to get.

Why did I want to try it? I like most game meats and enjoying trying different stuff, I was in Canada recently and tried horse, does not mean I will go to the local farm and off someone's horse. It was on the menu so I gave it a try.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Another animal most western countries do not consume is horse. But its very different in other parts of the world.
    Sometimes we impose our value system on others to our own detriment. No, I don't advocate we take up eating horse meat, but why not make it available to those who do? The west has a significant problem with an excess number of wild horses, so much so that the herds have to be thinned out to preserve wild land vegetation. If we could just suppress our own refusal to consider horses as a food source, we could solve the overpopulation problem very efficiently by capturing and shipping excess wild horses to countries who would love to have them for food.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I grew up on a small farm and it was not, and is still not, unheard of to have farm animals as pets. We had a black angus cow that I rode from the pasture to the barn for milking many a time and a pet banty rooster that thought he was far tougher than his size implied.. 4-H members raise cows, pigs, sheep, just about any kind of farm animal for their 4-H projects. Many members get very attached to these animals with many of them cared for far more lovingly than many pets.

Many people have little understanding of where our food comes from and give little thought to someone having an attachment to a farm animal that matches or even surpasses that of many household pets. True, an extremely large and growing segment of animals are raised on factory farms that afford little, if any, compassion to be shown for the animals, but that was not always the case.

Lifestyles vary widely across the world and what is regarded as the norm by some is looked down upon by others. So ultimately, if one man's junk is another man's treasure I guess that it could be said that one man's food is another man's pet.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If anyone on this forum thinks the slaughter of farm animals for food is the same activity as SE Asia dog farms they are wildly mistaken. These people round up dogs, some raised for food and other stolen from households, place them in wire cages or fishing nets so tightly packed that a significant number of them die because they cannot breathe. Then people haul them out by their feet, terrified, and hit them multiple times over the head, frequently missing, until they are unconscious but not necessarily dead. They are then thrown, dead or alive, into a vat of hot water so their skin can be removed. They are then hung in a marketplace to be sold as food.

There is a monumental difference between humane slaughter and what goes on in SE Asia.

I personally support the immediate execution of anyone mistreating an animal, food or household pet here or anywhere in the world. The inhumane treatment of an animal cannot be justified no matter what.

Witness one of these events and you may come to my side of the argument.

Spyder Garage

Hi IdahoMtnSpyder,

Re: If we could just suppress our own refusal to consider horses as a food source, we could solve the overpopulation problem very efficiently by capturing and shipping excess wild horses to countries who would love to have them for food.

Backin the 70's there was a beef shortage. Some guys that I knew bought horsemeat & tried it. They thought that it was OK.

Also, during that period, the US shipped horsemeat to France; the french consider it a normal meat to consume.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I've eaten kangaroo.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    If anyone on this forum thinks the slaughter of farm animals for food is the same activity as SE Asia dog farms they are wildly mistaken. These people round up dogs, some raised for food and other stolen from households, place them in wire cages or fishing nets so tightly packed that a significant number of them die because they cannot breathe. Then people haul them out by their feet, terrified, and hit them multiple times over the head, frequently missing, until they are unconscious but not necessarily dead. They are then thrown, dead or alive, into a vat of hot water so their skin can be removed. They are then hung in a marketplace to be sold as food.

There is a monumental difference between humane slaughter and what goes on in SE Asia.

I personally support the immediate execution of anyone mistreating an animal, food or household pet here or anywhere in the world. The inhumane treatment of an animal cannot be justified no matter what.

Witness one of these events and you may come to my side of the argument.

Doesn't sound too different than what has occurred far too often at multiple packing plants here in the U.S..

The point that I was making is that while you regard farm animals as a commodity to be slaughtered for food, there are others (admittedly a far smaller group) who see these same animals as pets and lavish more attention on these "farm animals" than many main stream pets receive.

I also abhor mistreatment of any animal and have an extremely low opinion of modern factory farms. These farms inflict cruelty to animals on a grand scale!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.