Spyder Garage

Default Sena SM10 Auto power on/off

This I'm sure has been discussed before but I can't figure it out. I have read you can remove or at least unplug the internal battery in the SM10 and this will allow the unit to automatically power up when you turn on the ignition and shut off when you do.
    Problem is mine is mounted in the funk on the correct cradle and for the life of me I can't get it off. So two questions. 1 Does removing the battery work and 2 how do I get it off the cradle to get to it.

Spyder Garage

The SM10 on my Spyder is held onto the metal bracket in the frunk by double back tape on a plastic slide-on mount. There is a push type latch protruding below the back side of the plastic mount (behind the cables). Push it and you can slide the SM10 upward and off the plastic mount.

My SM10 manual says it has a nonremoveable, rechargeable battery and cautions not to attempt to remove at the risk of damaging the device. That said, I don't know if one can remove the battery but from my understanding of how the device works if you were able to remove the battery you would have to add a jumper wire to make the circuit so there would be power to the device when you turned on the ignition key. I may be all wet on this issue.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTman10 View Post
    This I'm sure has been discussed before but I can't figure it out. I have read you can remove or at least unplug the internal battery in the SM10 and this will allow the unit to automatically power up when you turn on the ignition and shut off when you do.
    Problem is mine is mounted in the funk on the correct cradle and for the life of me I can't get it off. So two questions. 1 Does removing the battery work and 2 how do I get it off the cradle to get to it.
    Thanks. Found the catch but it doesn't want to move up, down or sideways. I'll have a word eith the dealer and see where he applied the super glue. The battery removal trick I saw on a BMW forum. It seems ridiculous you have to open the flunk on every trip to turn the thing on or off when it's bike powered .

Spyder Garage

Officially Sena says that disconnecting the internal battery will not work. I actually tried it and I found what Sena said to be true. With the internal battery disconnected. The SM10 would not power up at all. There was one guy that posted on Senas' website saying that this does work and also posted a video showing that it does work. Several folks tried it just like me and found that not the case with our units. Sena also posted that an auto power up/down function cannot be created by a software update. That was in response to a lot of folks asking for that feature.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sena has a new BT dongle unit called the Freewire. It has an autopower up/down function built into it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Found the catch but it doesn't want to move up, down or sideways. I'll have a word eith the dealer and see where he applied the super glue. The battery removal trick I saw on a BMW forum. It seems ridiculous you have to open the flunk on every trip to turn the thing on or off when it's bike powered .

So everybody is stuck with manual switch on and off again. Should have stuck with Autocom I think. Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

So everybody is stuck with manual switch on and off again. Should have stuck with Autocom I think. Thanks for the info.
    I have gotten around the problem by always leaving it powered up. I use the 12V adapter the came with the unit for power. It's plugged into the 12V socket in the front trunk. The fuse for the socket, is in it always on slot. It does use power and you have to keep in mind to hook up the tender if it's going to sit for a while. An added benefit there is less background electrical noise using the adapter.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Like the people above I saw the thread on the Sena site and tried it. It did not work for me. My serial # was even close to what the thread used. I had mine installed by my dealer, he put it in the frunk, the reception sucked, so I moved it to the trunk. I simply turn it on and off everytime I use the bike. For me this isn't an issue, as I have a half cover that I put in the trunk, so it's open anyway.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much gents. I now hve some options to consider without ripping it apart. It is odd though that over the last month it occasionally does fire up even when it's been sitting for a few days.

Spyder Garage

The battery will actually last quite awhile. I just turn mine on 1st thing on the morning and don't turn it off until I am thru for the day. As I am riding it charges back up anyway. As to the latch if it is mounted so the tab is pointed up then push the tab back and slide the unit down to remove it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much gents. I now hve some options to consider without ripping it apart. It is odd though that over the last month it occasionally does fire up even when it's been sitting for a few days.
    I've found the same thing regarding battery life, mainly through forgetting to open the frunk and turn off the bloody thing after a ride. My end of ride routine is includes opening the frunk once in the garage so checking that the SM10 is off is just another step.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I've found the same thing regarding battery life, mainly through forgetting to open the frunk and turn off the bloody thing after a ride. My end of ride routine is includes opening the frunk once in the garage so checking that the SM10 is off is just another step.
    yep, I think that's the way to go. Make it a routine to switch it off when it's put away for the day and if it's locked away don't lock the frunk. Then in the morning its just too easy to switch it on and close the lid.

Spyder Garage

Some models of the SM10 will not work with the battery removed.
    The reason it is uses a LIPO battery and the board has protection (over discharge / over charge) for the LIPO for the reasons of possible fires (which LIPO's can do if mistreated).

So be aware not all the version (board level revs) of the SM10 can do this.

Personally I do not know what the big deal is. I make it a habit as part of the "check list" to turn it on.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

BTW, to know which version you have without taking it apart.
    With the Spyder key OFF..... Turn on the SM10 and leave it on until it turns itself off which could be 10 hours or so (the battery went low so it turned off by itself).
    Turn off the SM10 switch.
    Turn the Spyder key on.
    Wait about 1 minute.
    Turn on the SM10.

If it turns on and works (with your headset not just the SM10 LEDS) with the Spyder key on, you have a newer model.
    If you have to wait about 15 minutes for it to work, you have the older models.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Free Wire is only available for Harley and GoldWing at this time ///

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sena has a new BT dongle unit called the Freewire. It has an autopower up/down function built into it.