Spyder Garage

Lightbulb 2011 spyder rt-s oil blow by

hi all, I acquired a 2011 spyder rt-s about 3 months ago and i love it! The issue that I am having is alot of oil in the airbox. I have done the filter in the crankcase breather tube with the filter media that everyone is using and still have oil blowing everywhere under the bike making a mess! I bought it from a non spyder dealer and they over filled the oil from the get go and i checked it per the manual and lowered the level accordingly. the spyder had 7,500 mile on it when i got it and now has about 9,100 but this oil leak is driving me insane! At this point, I am running out of ideas and just looking for some insight from all the ryders experienced with the 998 v-twin..Any ideas where i might look next? Also, the right side of the bike is clean and no visible leaks around the waterpump area. I unfortunately do not know how the original owner broke the engine in, but I have tried running it real hard to see if the rings just haven't seated but I am starting to think that I may be in for some serious engine repair and no warranty because it is used and 6 yrs old at this point. I appreciate your time and any suggestions!

Spyder Garage

Is it possible that the oil your getting now in the airbox is left over from it being overfilled, and just hasn't finished working its way out?
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I suppose it could be, gonna tear it back apart this weekend and look again! thanks for the suggestions

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem with my new-to-me 2012 RT A/C until the oil level dropped to normal. Be sure to follow the oil level check procedure in the owner manual exactly to get a correct reading on the dipstick. If you don't the reading can appear to be low when it isn't and you may be tempted to add oil when you don't need any.

Spyder Garage

I'm having this same issue with my GS. The dealer I took it to last fall said it was coming from the fitting where the vent hose goes into the cylinder head, and that they fixed it. Which they didn't, plus over filled my oil when they changed it. I'm not going back to that dealer this fall. I still have issues with it even if I keep the oil below half way between add and full. It makes quite the mess, plus smokes a little.

Spyder Garage

Well, I finally found my oil leak! Now to try to clean it up and fix it. My RT is leaking oil where the stator cable goes into the top of the engine on the left side. I am going to try to clean up the oil residue and use high temp RTV to seal but not sure if it will hold...The grommet looks intact but still allowing some oil to blow out when at operating temps and its running out and blowing all over the left side of the engine and down the drive line! Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dallphin View Post
    Well, I finally found my oil leak! Now to try to clean it up and fix it. My RT is leaking oil where the stator cable goes into the top of the engine on the left side. I am going to try to clean up the oil residue and use high temp RTV to seal but not sure if it will hold...The grommet looks intact but still allowing some oil to blow out when at operating temps and its running out and blowing all over the left side of the engine and down the drive line! Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
    Well, you're probably on to something there. According to the manual, that grommet is supposed to be sealed all the way around with a gasket sealer when it is slid into the case, and the case is bolted onto the block. BRP uses something called Drei Bond Sealing Compound. Hose down the area with Brake Clean and hopefully your sealant will stick enough on the outside. Perhaps your stator was worked on at one time and the sealant was omitted during assembly.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-21-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238