Spyder Garage

Default Another Newbie (Spyder is new. Rider is not)

Hello everyone!
    I'm Jerry. In Vancouver (WA not BC), WA (State, not DC).
    Just picked up a 2017 F3 from ProCaliber.
    Still learning a whole new riding style. Can't help grabbing for the front brake lever. Trying to lean into and counter steer the corners, etc.
    I am having a few technical challenges. I can't seem to get the display settings programmed as I'd like them, and the manual is woefully unhelpful with their step-by-step instructions.
    No matter what I do, it defaults to KM instead of Miles. Cannot figure out how to set the clock/calendar, and set for Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.
    Otherwise, I'm excited to be riding this!
    Anyone in this area that would be willing to teach this old dog a few tricks?
    I'd like to be able to adjust the suspension for my rotundity, and find a decent windshield that can deflect the air over my brain bucket.
    Thanks for the forum! Looks like a few weeks of reading is in my future.
    JerryWA (Your choice to decide if the WA stands for WAshington or WiseAss once you get to know me.)

Spyder Garage

and

Here is a link to Do's and Don'ts for Most find the information to be very helpful.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Post a picture or two if possible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I hope you are enjoying your new Spyder!!!!!
    As for setting up you dash, relax, do not try to be in a hurry. It is actually fairly intuitive. 1st, the Modeset button changes from screen to screen. (Modeset is the button you have to press before you start the Spyder) Next, to navigate through a screen use the group of 4 buttons also on the left side, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT. Look at what the different commands are on each direction button. Depress the one you want and look to see what is next. Just be sure to look at each change before you go to the next screen.
    Your dealer should have set it up for Miles Per Hour and Miles, at the least!!!! Good luck!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and
    Leave the bike set up in "Metric Mode"...
    it'll impress the uninitiated, when you talk about hitting a corner at 100!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=JerryWA;1280409]Hello everyone!

Welcome Jerry from central Washington, State, not DC. lol. You'll get it figured out, and there is lots of good help here on the forum.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Hi Jerry,

Re: I'm Jerry. In Vancouver (WA not BC), WA (State, not DC).

Hi, I'm Jerry, across the river in Beaverton.

I also could not get things from *Celsius to *F by using the manual; tried many times.

BRP told me to take it to a dealer. I left it as it was; I'm fairly OK with *C anyway. And, I do not pay any attention to this feature anyway.

And the clock is so worthless, it is correct only twice a day; if that.*

There is a local chapter ( club ) of Spyder Ryders. Check at the bottom of this page for SpyderLovers Chapters.

They are listed under Oregon: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/f....php?52-Oregon

Jerry Baumchen

* Just another cheap part BRP used in these things.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Thanx!

Thanks for the greetings.
    I almost have it figgered out. The only issue is the clock. I prefer 24 hour, and can't seem to get there.
    I did get the speedo set to mph, and the calendar set, and temp at F.
    Looking forward to meeting you people f-f, and maybe a ride or 2 at an old newbie pace.
    JerryWA

Spyder Garage

Jerry, I've already decided. Now about your F3. Not super familiar with it specifically.
    But why you would bother setting a clock that will only be accurate twice a day ?
    You could clock the temperature more closely with a rectal thermometer.
    Sadly, the speedo is probably at least 3mph optimistic. Instrumentation is
    so Non user friendly as to be a joke.

Now, reality, ryde, ryde, ryde, learn how to be comfortable on your new Spyder.
    Invest a couple thousand miles doing that. You will get opportunity to "noodle" around
    all the amazing "features", and it all will become evident. Smooth, safe, sailing.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Red face Howdy Neighbor

Hi Neighbor!

I, too, am a long time motorcycle rider and am just getting comfortable with my Spyder. Mine is an older model...2010. Have you taken your written exam to get your permit, yet? It's not that hard. I'm on my 90 days "learning" curve before taking the driving exam...although I feel I am just about able to pass it now. Don't let your insurer tell you that you don't need a special endorsement on your license if you have a motorcycle endorsement. That's what my insurer told me...and it's WRONG here in Washington.

Anyway, Don't worry too much about setting the clock or other weird functions. It is only within the past couple of weeks that I have felt like getting the clock right and figuring out how to set the radio while riding. Since neither are vital for riding safely I have avoided them until now. Like 4Marie said..., "Ryde, ryde, ryde...." I feel that the more I ride, the better I'm getting and the more fun I'm having. My husband just changed the oil and oil filter today while I was out of town on other business and afterwards he rode it around the "block" (That's about a 7 mile loop where I am in the country). He rides a Harley and when he came back he was remarking how much fun it is to ride! Different from his bike, but FUN nonetheless! I have to agree...and if you can find someone to ride with it makes it all the more fun! We are both Legion Riders, and it's a great group of folks to ride with (even if I'm the only Spyder Rider in the group).

Spyder Garage

Hi Rabbit & Jerry,

Re: "Ryde, ryde, ryde...."

A good friend ( he is a 2-wheel Suzuki rider ) and I go for a few rides/lunch/etc throughout the summer. We are planning on one next week. Want to join us?

You can reach me at: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi Rabbit_B!
    I have my motorcycle endorsement,and I'm waiting for a 3-wheeler class to open near by for that endorsement. For now, I'm just riding to get used to the F3.
    I have an appointment for a laser alignment in a couple weeks. Feels a little 'squirrelly' to me so far.
    Hope I get comfortable enough to join a few rides soon.
    JerryWA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Rabbit & Jerry,

Re: "Ryde, ryde, ryde...."

A good friend ( he is a 2-wheel Suzuki rider ) and I go for a few rides/lunch/etc throughout the summer. We are planning on one next week. Want to join us?

You can reach me at: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Jerry Baumchen
    Be happy to join you if you don't mind a slow old guy tagging along. Email has been sent.

Spyder Garage

&

Glad you could join us! Let the smiles, miles , begin!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new spyder and to the spyder web. Dale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryWA View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Still learning a whole new riding style. Can't help grabbing for the front brake lever. Trying to lean into and counter steer the corners, etc.
    I am having a few technical challenges. I can't seem to get the display settings programmed as I'd like them, and the manual is woefully unhelpful with their step-by-step instructions.
    No matter what I do, it defaults to KM instead of Miles. Cannot figure out how to set the clock/calendar, and set for Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.
    Otherwise, I'm excited to be riding this!
    Anyone in this area that would be willing to teach this old dog a few tricks?
    I'd like to be able to adjust the suspension for my rotundity, and find a decent windshield that can deflect the air over my brain bucket.
    Thanks for the forum! Looks like a few weeks of reading is in my future.
    JerryWA (Your choice to decide if the WA stands for WAshington or WiseAss once you get to know me.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit_B View Post
    Hi Neighbor!

I, too, am a long time motorcycle rider and am just getting comfortable with my Spyder. Mine is an older model...2010. Have you taken your written exam to get your permit, yet? It's not that hard. I'm on my 90 days "learning" curve before taking the driving exam...although I feel I am just about able to pass it now. Don't let your insurer tell you that you don't need a special endorsement on your license if you have a motorcycle endorsement. That's what my insurer told me...and it's WRONG here in Washington.

Anyway, Don't worry too much about setting the clock or other weird functions. It is only within the past couple of weeks that I have felt like getting the clock right and figuring out how to set the radio while riding. Since neither are vital for riding safely I have avoided them until now. Like 4Marie said..., "Ryde, ryde, ryde...." I feel that the more I ride, the better I'm getting and the more fun I'm having. My husband just changed the oil and oil filter today while I was out of town on other business and afterwards he rode it around the "block" (That's about a 7 mile loop where I am in the country). He rides a Harley and when he came back he was remarking how much fun it is to ride! Different from his bike, but FUN nonetheless! I have to agree...and if you can find someone to ride with it makes it all the more fun! We are both Legion Riders, and it's a great group of folks to ride with (even if I'm the only Spyder Rider in the group).

& to you both.

You'll learn after a short time here, though, that with out a pic, it didn't really happen. So . . . .
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

OK Patti!

My driveway is a mess, so pics there are not very complimentary. And once I have it running & backed out, it's kinda hard to shut it off & step away.
    I'll get some pics posted next long ride.

JerryWA