Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light - Need Help!!

I decided to add the HMT brake light to my '15 RTL. Yesterday while installing, I had removed all of the appropriate Tupperware, mounted the light to the trunk lid as instructed, but when I attempted to connect the light to the Spyder's wiring harness, everything went downhill FAST! I tried to pull the wiring harness up so that I could get to the connector, but it would only go so far and I didn't want to damage anything, so I walked away. I consulted the service manual (paper and digital) hoping to find instructions on removing the right side saddlebag, but came up empty. I would appreciate any input on how to get to that connector that you can hopefully supply. Thanks in advance for your help. I will keep all informed of my progress.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with this puzzle; please let us know what it takes for success! Fingers Crossed.gif
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

On my 14 RTL I had to remove the right taillight to create enough slack in the wiring harness to make the connections. There is an old thread on the forum that discusses this issue and that fix.

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe

I would remove the tail light assembly when I install my lights the harness was behind the light with no slack. easy to do and less frustration.

Unhook both gas shocks on the saddle bags, remove the two screws each side.

Remove three screws that secure the black plastic mud flap, tag assembly (just lower it down) then remove the threes screws securing the tail light assembly, this made it easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    I decided to add the HMT brake light to my '15 RTL. Yesterday while installing, I had removed all of the appropriate Tupperware, mounted the light to the trunk lid as instructed, but when I attempted to connect the light to the Spyder's wiring harness, everything went downhill FAST! I tried to pull the wiring harness up so that I could get to the connector, but it would only go so far and I didn't want to damage anything, so I walked away. I consulted the service manual (paper and digital) hoping to find instructions on removing the right side saddlebag, but came up empty. I would appreciate any input on how to get to that connector that you can hopefully supply. Thanks in advance for your help. I will keep all informed of my progress.
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 07-16-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thank you both for your replies, I'll try to get to it today and let you know how it went. I did do several searches in SL, but came up empty. I may not have entered the search criteria correctly.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light

Spyder Garage

The others are correct. You need to pull the right side tail light and the connector is behind it. 3 screws and a tab on the tail light with the lower one behind the lower fender section.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up HMT

I think the CD High Mount Taillight is one of the best farkels that's done on our RT's.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I consulted the service manual (paper and digital) hoping to find instructions on removing the right side saddlebag, but came up empty.
    Just FYI for the future since you've gotten the answer you need for this project. The saddlebags and rear trunk come off as a single unit called the rear cargo storage module. The saddlebags don't come off individually, at least not readily. The entire module can be disassembled after it's off the bike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Following your great advice, I did remove the right tail light and the connector was right there! Thank you ever so much! Now all I have to figure out is how to snake the "wire tool" up to the trunk area so that I can pull the wires down to make the connection to the harness. It seems to be hitting some kind of obstruction in there and just seems to be curling up on itself; tried to push it down from the top, that didn't work at all. CD did call me back, but couldn't really offer any help.
    Last edited by SpyderConvert; 07-18-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's the nature of the beast that you'll soon get very handy at removing Spyder body parts.

I like to farkle, but I was initially concerned that the panels wouldn't hold up with me regularly pulling them on and off. Since then I've remove nearly every panel, front and back, multiple times. However, I almost always drop a screw or two down some place it will never be recovered.

I keep a small inventory of 250000303 (m6 x 20 torx truss screw)
    250000348 (m6 x 16 torx truss screw)
    293150089(Tuflok plastic rivet)
    234062670 (Washer)
    250000349 (m6 x 10 torx truss screw)

I often find the screws I dropped on the floor of the garage after I move the bike, but keeping these on hand makes the process easier.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Following your great advice, I did remove the right tail light and the connector was right there! Thank you ever so much! Now all I have to figure out is how to snake the "wire tool" up to the trunk area so that I can pull the wires down to make the connection to the harness. It seems to be hitting some kind of obstruction in there and just seems to be curling up on itself; tried to push it down from the top, that didn't work at all. CD did call me back, but couldn't really offer any help.

Just remove the passenger seat back cushion and all will be clear and easy to route. Have no idea why the CD instructions do not just tell you to pull the tail light and seat back.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Custom Dynamics install discussed

Last edited by TicketBait; 07-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

First of all, I want to thank all of the Spyderlovers that responded to my request for help, I could not have done it without you!

I removed the backrest as suggested and passed the wire tool down from the top and it exited at the hole where I was supposed to pass it up from. I connected the wires and...VOILA!!!!!

Once again, kudos to all. This is truly the best site ever!!

John

I got in contact with Jacob at Custom Dynamics and told him about removing the backrest and "moving" the mud flap panel. Hopefully, it will be added to the instructions.
    Last edited by SpyderConvert; 07-26-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Go to Youtube

First of all, I want to thank all of the Spyderlovers that responded to my request for help, I could not have done it without you!

I removed the backrest as suggested and passed the wire tool down from the top and it exited at the hole where I was supposed to pass it up from. I connected the wires and...VOILA!!!!!

Once again, kudos to all. This is truly the best site ever!!

John

I got in contact with Jacob at Custom Dynamics and told him about removing the backrest and "moving" the mud flap panel. Hopefully, it will be added to the instructions.
    Go to youtube, excellent video with instructions how to install it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on getting the job done!

That is OUtstanding!.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black