Spyder Garage

Default Too Much Oil????

2012 RSS 998 SE5. 30,000 miles. Recently had some dealer work done. Trailered the bike home. I took an hour and a half ride on arrival home. After the ride, I checked the oil. It was an inch or so over the full mark. Used a turkey baster to remove 16 oz- a pint of oil to get the level down to the full mark. Is this a problem? What are consequences of an overfill like this??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderwing View Post
    2012 RSS 998 SE5. 30,000 miles. Recently had some dealer work done. Trailered the bike home. I took an hour and a half ride on arrival home. After the ride, I checked the oil. It was an inch or so over the full mark. Used a turkey baster to remove 16 oz- a pint of oil to get the level down to the full mark. Is this a problem? What are consequences of an overfill like this??
    There is a specific procedure for checking the oil. Please see manual for particulars--if you did not already know it. Checking the bike cold can result in errors.

It is also possible the dealers did not adjust your oil level properly. They have been known to do things like that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Too Much Oil

Thank You. I checked it by the book. Does an over fill to this extent cause any problems- if so what are they?? Thanks. John

Spyder Garage

Thank You. I checked it by the book. Does an over fill to this extent cause any problems- if so what are they?? Thanks. John

I would say that apart from blowing some into your airbox (and then to give you a mysterious oil leak from the front right corner of said airbox later on)... no harm should be done.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Problems with 1 inch? No. Remember it's a dry sump system. The oil level in the engine sump was always at the proper level. If tank level is excessively high, it can result in oil carry over into the crankcase through the vent on the tank - which could cause excessive oil out the crankcase vent into the air box. Yours wasn't that high. On the 2012 V-Twin, your 1 inch is almost exactly the difference between checking it cold and checking it hot. Your dealer probably checked the oil and incorrectly added some. Thought he was doing you a favor. My dealer always did the same thing.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Relax...

Some shops give simple (not spyders) oil changes to non cert techs who may not know the proceedure. but now that your level again your fine. On the GS, RS, RSS the air box lid is fairly easy to remove. You can check for blow by and clean it up before it leaks if any got up there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black