Thread: JERBEAR

Spyder Garage

Default JERBEAR

Back in June Jerbear had reported that his RT was finally back home after being in the shop for weeks. Dealer said it was repaired, but Jerbear was going on a two week vacation and would test it out when he got back. Has anyone heard the outcome? Jerbear can you comment on the repair job?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I was wondering too.

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Smile "Life in the Skillet"

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    "can you comment on the repair job?"
    Thanks for your interest - nothing to report at this time. Temps here since returning from Colorado have been off the charts (four days of 122 degrees in the past two weeks and few others below 112 /115. I simply don't have the confidence to leave the area - on the Spyder - and it's a little to warm to test it locally.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted when you do get to ride it for an extended period.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Thanks for your interest - nothing to report at this time. Temps here since returning from Colorado have been off the charts (four days of 122 degrees in the past two weeks and few others below 112 /115. I simply don't have the confidence to leave the area - on the Spyder - and it's a little to warm to test it locally.
    Time to do that Death Valley ride you talked about a few years ago!
    LOL

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

x2.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Jerbear...how abour night ryder....or is that only 110°..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hey strangers........hope everyone is well

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    x2.
    Well......after a long HOT summer and much anxiety about whether or not the Spyder was really fixed at the end of last riding season. The verdict is in...IT IS NOT!

Just the facts.

11/22/17 30,353 miles at startup(same as was on it at the end of last riding season when it came back from its last repair).

11/22/17 P160E @ 30,363 miles. Fourth startup of the day. Warmed it up and shut down to load gear. Started & went for fuel, then stopped up the street to eat. On startup(semi cool engine) it showed a check engine warning w/code P160E. Cleared on its own, but shows in memory.

11/23/17 - First 150 miles. Only code so far was P160E on the 22nd.

11/29/17 - P0174 @ 30,675 miles.

In just 322 miles of use.

It's the same ole codes.

Third riding season of this crap. Three years!

Sad

Spyder Garage

P160E
    Electrical Actuator (ETA) Shorted to Vbat.
    Damaged ETA, Damaged circuit wires, connector or ECM pins

P0174
    System too lean bank 2
    Injector or fuel supply
    Check injector & fuel supply.

The P160E issue could be causing the P0174. Sure sounds like they did not fix anything from last time....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default I know how you feel

To start with I believe that the issue with the p0174 code on 2011 RtSE5 spyders is in MHO not an isolated incidence. I believe this is a on going major issue. My wife and I purchased a 2011 RTSE5 in July 2017 from a local dealer who specializes in Spyders. They have a certified BRP master technician. Keeping this short, we have had the dreaded P0174 code since we bought it. It has been in the shop every two weeks after we get it back like clock work. Anywhere from 300 miles to less put on it before it comes back on. To date it has had the following done to it.

Complete service done by previous owner when he traded in for a new model.

Evap canister replaced, was told it was full of fuel. Learned you cant top off the tank! Three rides later P0174 back on.

Purge Valve replaced, Three or four rides later, P0174 back on.

Reprogramed the computer, something about not recognizing the new parts. This time the ride on the second day produced a code for the Gear Position Sensor and the P0174. GPS replaced, two rides later. P0174

Changed the spark plugs and wires, checked for vacuum leaks, none found. Three rides later, P0174.

Changed Vacuum lines, cleaned throttle body and ports. Rode about two or three times and P0174 back on again!

This was last trip in before getting cold. They had it three weeks. They Bypassed the purge valve. I rode it about 50 miles, went to ride it the next day. I didn't get a mile down the road and you guessed it, P0174.

I told the service manager that it probably wouldn't work, because I read where someone else did the cannisterrectomy procedure with bypassing the purge valve and had to connect it back up. But never posted if it was fixed. One of the biggest problems is the fact you can hardly work on them yourself without the Buds software to clear the codes and check engine light. We are at our wits end with this! Since it seems like there are quite a few of us out there with this problem it should have been a recall issue, but it happens at different times for each unit. Ours has about 44,000 miles on it. I just don't want to keep going down their list of parts to replace to try and fix this, we will probably have bought a whole new bike before its done. My question is how does a business justify charging the kind of money for something and then just washing their hands of you as soon as they get paid. I really would like to move up to the 1330 model, but at this point in time I just cant trust Spyders, dealers or BRP. I guess next procedure will probably be hooking back up the purge valve and going to the next thing BRP emails them to try and do. If they really cared about their customers they would get a team together to figure this out. No disrespect to the trained technicians, they are just doing what they are trained to do. I will be back to let you all know what happens next. Rant over, ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Default A WELL KNOWN MAJOR ISSUE - IT IS

Quote Originally Posted by jmbenge View Post
    To start with I believe that the issue with the p0174 code on 2011 RtSE5 spyders is in MHO not an isolated incidence. I believe this is a on going major issue. My wife and I purchased a 2011 RTSE5 in July 2017 from a local dealer who specializes in Spyders. They have a certified BRP master technician. Keeping this short, we have had the dreaded P0174 code since we bought it. It has been in the shop every two weeks after we get it back like clock work. Anywhere from 300 miles to less put on it before it comes back on. To date it has had the following done to it.

Complete service done by previous owner when he traded in for a new model.

Evap canister replaced, was told it was full of fuel. Learned you cant top off the tank! Three rides later P0174 back on.

Purge Valve replaced, Three or four rides later, P0174 back on.

Reprogramed the computer, something about not recognizing the new parts. This time the ride on the second day produced a code for the Gear Position Sensor and the P0174. GPS replaced, two rides later. P0174

Changed the spark plugs and wires, checked for vacuum leaks, none found. Three rides later, P0174.

Changed Vacuum lines, cleaned throttle body and ports. Rode about two or three times and P0174 back on again!

This was last trip in before getting cold. They had it three weeks. They Bypassed the purge valve. I rode it about 50 miles, went to ride it the next day. I didn't get a mile down the road and you guessed it, P0174.

I told the service manager that it probably wouldn't work, because I read where someone else did the cannisterrectomy procedure with bypassing the purge valve and had to connect it back up. But never posted if it was fixed. One of the biggest problems is the fact you can hardly work on them yourself without the Buds software to clear the codes and check engine light. We are at our wits end with this! Since it seems like there are quite a few of us out there with this problem it should have been a recall issue, but it happens at different times for each unit. Ours has about 44,000 miles on it. I just don't want to keep going down their list of parts to replace to try and fix this, we will probably have bought a whole new bike before its done. My question is how does a business justify charging the kind of money for something and then just washing their hands of you as soon as they get paid. I really would like to move up to the 1330 model, but at this point in time I just cant trust Spyders, dealers or BRP. I guess next procedure will probably be hooking back up the purge valve and going to the next thing BRP emails them to try and do. If they really cared about their customers they would get a team together to figure this out. No disrespect to the trained technicians, they are just doing what they are trained to do. I will be back to let you all know what happens next. Rant over, ride safe!
    Like mine, I'm 99.9% certain you'll find the PO174 is being caused by a defective throttle body.

I was certain that was the problem with mine(and told the service department) when I first took it in - UNDER WARRANTY. My dealers service manager didn't agree and it went down hill from there.

After TWO YEARS of bad guesses, and a TON of MY cash, it became clear my dealers tech AND his consultation with BRP tech support was getting me nowhere, except lighter in the wallet.

At my request, and on my dime, the throttle body was replaced and the P0174 has not reappeared.

While I like my Spyder as much today as I did when first purchased. I'm one and done with BRP and their 'FAUX BRP CARES CRAP'.

Good luck to you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting us know where things ended up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Jerbear,

Re: I'm one and done with BRP and their 'FAUX BRP CARES CRAP'.

When I bought my '08, four years ago, I felt that it would be my only Spyder.

I'm not young anymore & my plan was/is to ride it until I'm 80, in 3 more yrs. I will probably make mine last until then.

However, with the above ( your quote ), I would NEVER consider buying another one.

IMO BRP is a company that does not care about the owners of these machines.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Like mine, I'm 99.9% certain you'll find the PO174 is being caused by a defective throttle body.

I was certain that was the problem with mine(and told the service department) when I first took it in - UNDER WARRANTY. My dealers service manager didn't agree and it went down hill from there.

After TWO YEARS of bad guesses, and a TON of MY cash, it became clear my dealers tech AND his consultation with BRP tech support was getting me nowhere, except lighter in the wallet.

At my request, and on my dime, the throttle body was replaced and the P0174 has not reappeared.

While I like my Spyder as much today as I did when first purchased. I'm one and done with BRP and their 'FAUX BRP CARES CRAP'.

Good luck to you.
    Glad that yours was finally figured out. It sad because My wife and I were hoping to move up to a different model, but I to have lost respect for the system that is in place with BRP and the dealerships for them. There maybe some good ones out there, but I haven't found one yet. Thinking of just waiting a little bit and seeing how the new 2018 Goldwing fares, then putting a trike kit on it. Best of luck to you as well!

Spyder Garage

​I certainly do not want to minimize the problems that jmbenge and Jerbear have had to deal with. But there are thousands of Spyder riders out there that have had no problems or very minor problems including me. If I were one of these guys I would be upset too!! But for those of us that have no problems or minor problems that are quickly fixed, you would never hear from us. I now have 27,000 problem free miles on my 2015 F3-S. I wish both of you guys the best and hope that you will have many trouble free miles in the future.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Jerbear or JerryB, I would ask if either of you have tried a '13, '14, or newer, would your dealer(s) consider trading you up a year or two with your documentation of all the issues your bike(s) had?
    As JKM Spyder stated, some of us have 20,000 + miles in a year or two with no problems (except what I myself caused) and in my case, the second dealer I tried has reasonably and professionally troubleshot and fixed my errors quickly. I'm confident enough in my spyder to have planned a 6K plus and numerous 1k plus trips this year after completing several 1K and a 4K+ trip last year. No breakdowns, no trouble codes, no problems on a used '13 RT.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Jerbear, it is good to see you posting! It is interesting that this would appear today as I got a call from a woman in Las Vegas who recently purchased a used 11 RT with 44,000 miles on it. Shortly after she bought it she was left on the side of the road, she said that the dealer replaced the throttle but I'm thinking throttle body. Shortly after that she said that she hadn't ridden for a few days and when she started the bike she got a DPS error, the dealer replaced the battery. This past weekend she had it throw a check engine code and go into Limp Mode and then had it towed to the dealer. She didn't know how to check codes and there is no active code at this time. She's getting really frustrated too.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lets face it.........

If Honda (Goldwing) or Yamaha (Venture) came out with a touring reverse trike tomorrow, our spyders wouldn't be worth next years registration fee. Dealers wouldn't even take spyders in as a trade-in. I haven't been keeping up with Harley but I understand they're having their issues also. Locally I've seen two different Harley trikes on trailers parked outside their dealership.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Jerbear or JerryB, I would ask if either of you have tried a '13, '14, or newer, would your dealer(s) consider trading you up a year or two with your documentation of all the issues your bike(s) had?
    As JKM Spyder stated, some of us have 20,000 + miles in a year or two with no problems (except what I myself caused) and in my case, the second dealer I tried has reasonably and professionally troubleshot and fixed my errors quickly. I'm confident enough in my spyder to have planned a 6K plus and numerous 1k plus trips this year after completing several 1K and a 4K+ trip last year. No breakdowns, no trouble codes, no problems on a used '13 RT.
    It would be nice if they would do that DGoebel, but a couple times now we've been in there to pick ours up and they had just sold one that was traded in, without calling us about having one when we asked them to let us know. Don't think they want this bike back since no one can figure out the problem. I just don't think they or BRP care.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    If Honda (Goldwing) or Yamaha (Venture) came out with a touring reverse trike tomorrow, our spyders wouldn't be worth next years registration fee. Dealers wouldn't even take spyders in as a trade-in. I haven't been keeping up with Harley but I understand they're having their issues also. Locally I've seen two different Harley trikes on trailers parked outside their dealership.
    You are right about that 2dogs We are looking at all options now, thinking about waiting to see how the new 2018 Gold Wings with the DCT fares.

Spyder Garage

​I certainly do not want to minimize the problems that jmbenge and Jerbear have had to deal with. But there are thousands of Spyder riders out there that have had no problems or very minor problems including me. If I were one of these guys I would be upset too!! But for those of us that have no problems or minor problems that are quickly fixed, you would never hear from us. I now have 27,000 problem free miles on my 2015 F3-S. I wish both of you guys the best and hope that you will have many trouble free miles in the future.
    From my understanding the gentlemen that owned our bike before us never had many problems with it. We bought it and it was all down hill from there. It does have 44,000 miles on it though, just not sure of their longevity.

Spyder Garage

The bad apples in the BRP barrel are the dealers, not necessarily BRP. I recently learned that a dealer in my area had the Spyder line taken away from them, as they had no competent techs to work on them. It was just grease monkeys reading the service manual and trying to figure out what to doat $99.00/hour. It is getting to the point that the dealer network is getting smaller, not larger. And dealers charge hourly rates according to what the market will bear. Some charge as little as $75/hour - I think that's what Bob's dealer charges, I could be wrong. Others are at $120.00/hour. That's a whopping 60% More. So a dealer at $75/hr gets $150 for 2 hours labor on an oil change. The guy at $120/hr get $240 for the same thing. I have to go 90 miles for competent service, but that's just the way it is. There is another dealer 48 miles from me, but the one time I went there I got so pissed off that I wanted to strangle someone. The had the bike for 26 days and blamed all of the codes on my wolo horn. Don't be fooled by a dealers rating, be it Silver, Gold, or Platinum. It means nothing. The dealer that had the Spyder line taken away is a Gold rated "preferred dealer." Go figure.

monkey wrench.jpg
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    The bad apples in the BRP barrel are the dealers, not necessarily BRP. I recently learned that a dealer in my area had the Spyder line taken away from them, as they had no competent techs to work on them. It was just grease monkeys reading the service manual and trying to figure out what to doat $99.00/hour. It is getting to the point that the dealer network is getting smaller, not larger. And dealers charge hourly rates according to what the market will bear. Some charge as little as $75/hour - I think that's what Bob's dealer charges, I could be wrong. Others are at $120.00/hour. That's a whopping 60% More. So a dealer at $75/hr gets $150 for 2 hours labor on an oil change. The guy at $120/hr get $240 for the same thing. I have to go 90 miles for competent service, but that's just the way it is. There is another dealer 48 miles from me, but the one time I went there I got so pissed off that I wanted to strangle someone. The had the bike for 26 days and blamed all of the codes on my wolo horn. Don't be fooled by a dealers rating, be it Silver, Gold, or Platinum. It means nothing. The dealer that had the Spyder line taken away is a Gold rated "preferred dealer." Go figure.

monkey wrench.jpg
    Don't be fooled by the Silver, Gold, Platinum BS. The ratings are given according to the number of units sold not their "service".

This is not only the number of Spyders but all BRP motorsports such as Maverick etc.

​Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 05-03-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick