Spyder Garage

Default Lack of problems.....observation

I have been on this forum for almost a couple of months now. I bought my 2014 RTL on 5-16-17. What I have noticed is the lack of many vehicle issues encountered with previous forums/vehicles. I have owned Goldwings for many years and they pretty much bullet proof but do have common issues requiring attention from time to time. Also owned a Can Am outlander and a Can Am Commander and belonged to forums for those too. Then there was the BMW Z4. Well, I should have joined that forum before buying the car. I could have saved a lot of money by eliminating that impulsive purchase. While there are a few issues about the Spyder that come up, The real problems are relatively few. Most discussions are about enjoyment, smiles, and miles. Makes me excited about future touring.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Welcome and congrats on your new bike! We have purchased three Spyders (currently own two) and have not had any major issues with any of the three. They all have been/are reliable machines that we have chosen to enhance through purchase of BRP or after market accessories. The few minor issues that we have had over the years have all been addressed fairly in my mind by our dealership. Sometimes people enjoy dramatizing everything in their life and then sharing that drama on forums. Good luck with your bike and enjoy many safe miles on it!

Spyder Garage

Default This is true...

One has to understand this site and see the whole picture. We are almost 25,000 strong with very few having major problems. One of the reasons sites like this one exsits is to help others and we do. But much of what you see are the problem of the few. This is discouraging at best. What you don't see are the 24,000 out having a blast. We have been getting better with sharing the rydes, events, diy ,mods and off topics. Looks like you read us well...congrats..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    One has to understand this site and see the whole picture. We are almost 25,000 strong with very few having major problems. One of the reasons sites like this one exsits is to help others and we do. But much of what you see are the problem of the few. This is discouraging at best. What you don't see are the 24,000 out having a blast. We have been getting better with sharing the rydes, events, diy ,mods and off topics. Looks like you read us well...congrats..
    Only 25,000? I thought Can Am produced a lot more Spyders....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that Gene was referring to the 24,511 members of SpyderLovers.

(Total Spyder production topped 100,000 over a year ago.)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP has sold (produced) over 100,000 spyder units since they were introduced 10 years ago. This is what was announced at the Homecoming event last month.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The early problem or complaint with the Spyders were the heat problems and the Forum was filled with "how to" fix it ideas and products (which never really worked). BRP finally fixed the problem with a redesign. Now the major complaint is the brief vibration around 67mph which I find is just a characteristic of the bike an not something to sweat over.

Spyder Garage

Default Compounding the problem...

Another point to ponder...there are other sites of which I peer into from time to time. Many that post their issue here on SL also post to others and using different sign on/names making it seem that there are now four or five spyders with this problem. We have a good product with problems like all the rest they get addressed and fixed but we have not had the recalls others have had....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    The early problem or complaint with the Spyders were the heat problems and the Forum was filled with "how to" fix it ideas and products (which never really worked). BRP finally fixed the problem with a redesign. Now the major complaint is the brief vibration around 67mph which I find is just a characteristic of the bike an not something to sweat over.
    There were also DPS failures of the 2008 and 2009 models along with some fires......

But overall things are pretty good.

It's a machine and it bound to have some issues.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Hi Tazzel,

Re: (which never really worked)

I would disagree. SpyderPops makes an excellent heat dissapation kit. It works very well on my '08.

It is 100% no heat but it took care of most of it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If the ~25,000, I wonder how many no longer own a Spyder but have done nothing about resigning from this forum.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Only 25,000? I thought Can Am produced a lot more Spyders....
    Members and not 's. But I am betting you knew that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

OP: Your observations are right on. We are going through a "slow spell" at the moment.

Many people come on just to rant or post a problem--and then they are gone. A very small % of the group has real problems. When a real problem happens, it gets talked about forever and ever. AMEN. The last was the heat issue on the 2013 RT's.

The current crop of 's seems to be very good, so, its "happy" time for most.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have to admit that I had a very marginal experience when I got into the Spyder family. First trike was a 2013 RTL. Don't have to say much about that. I, myself, did not have problems, but the reputation for heat and burning up on the side of the road was there. After monitoring those that purchased the 2014s with the new motor, I decided to try again. My 2014 RTS, a bike nearly everyone on this board would recommend, was a lemon. Had it out 4 times, put 800 miles on and it overheated 3 of the 4 times. If it were not for the fact that I REALLY enjoyed riding the reverse trike, I would have called it quits.

Soooo, I went to the dealer and told him that it's either 3 strikes, you are OUT, or... 3rd time is the charm. I just returned from a 1500 mile trip thru Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and my 2015 F3S just hummed. I LOVE it and apparently, it loves me!!!! 32-42 mpg depending on who was leading the group, handled curves like a champ, all-day comfortable with the stock seat, used not a drop of oil. What else can I tell ya...!! I think BRP has finally gotten the formula they needed. Here's to many more miles and continued success... for me and BRP!!