Spyder Garage

Default What tools will I need to install the swaybar

I have BajaRon's swaybar coming and I plan to install it on Sunday while I'm on call at our EMS station. Sooooo, I won't have my toolbox with me. Who can give me a list of the tools I'll need to do the swap? I did the swap on my previous Spyder without any issues, but I don't remember what all I used to do it. I'll have my motorcycle lift with me and my jack stands.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some of the tupperware needs to come off. I did mine with the spyder's tool kit and a ratchet with metric sockets. Also something to get the plastic pins out. Do you have a way to get the front up about 2 feet? I rented a pair of loading ramps. I used wheel chocks too. Safety first!!! I loosened stuff up first before I put it up the ramps. Good luck!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

have a set of metric wrenches and sockets too . i used 1/4 inch drive stuff cause its
    easier to get into some of the tight spots. make sure you get it up high enough
    n the air. i think there are some videoes you can pull up to watch that are helpful. thats
    what i did.
    hhhmm. getting paid to play!! good 4 u.

ithink you need 10 and 13 mm sockets and ratchet.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A First Aid Kit
    A cell-phone with 911 already pre-dialed
    Several friends with digital cameras
    A six-pack of beer for each of them
    Your favorite brand of Distilled Spirits
    Several large towels
    and a platter of cheese and meat!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

A First Aid Kit
    A cell-phone with 911 already pre-dialed
    Several friends with digital cameras
    A six-pack of beer for each of them
    Your favorite brand of Distilled Spirits
    Several large towels
    and a platter of cheese and meat!
    you forgot baja rons ph # too.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Default I'm new so please forgive my ignorance but ...

Does our Spyder come standard with a swaybar ..? If so, what's the difference between the stock swaybar and the RJ swaybar..?
    thanks for not flaming me with this question.

Spyder Garage

Default One more thing...

This is like plumbing projects. No matter how much you take with you, you will no doubt need just one more thing that you forgot to bring along.

I did not notice that anyone said to bring along a light of some kind to see what you are doing. Just a thought.

No sweat project, and well worth the effort.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    you forgot baja rons ph # too.

You ALSO need to have a friend along, who'll remind you of the REALLY important stuff that you forgot!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    Does our Spyder come standard with a swaybar ..? If so, what's the difference between the stock swaybar and the RJ swaybar..?
    All of the Spyders come with an anti-swaybar.
    The thing is: BRP tuned the suspension for a very compliant ride, and sort of forgot about those of us who'd like the bike to actually handle well also.
    Ron's bar is stiffer, so that it reduces the tendency of the bike to lean over in the corners!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    Bob has summed up very succinctly, D. This is NOT a flame, but it would be well worth your while to do a forum search on Swaybar or Ronbar or Stabilizer bar or similar as there is a huge amount of info on the stiffer stabiliser bar and how it works, out there

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

This will give you the idea. BUT understand your year it has to be jacked up to 19" minimum (as I recall) to get the bar in and out of the channel.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Well, I appreciate all the tips, even Bob Denman's....LOL....I managed to have a couple hrs to work on it today after work, so, it's done!! Pretty easy job, but a little more difficult than the 2010 was. Now, I need time to test it out...Tools I used, (in case someone has the same idea)

13mm socket and wrench
    10mm socket and wrench
    small screw driver for the push pin rivets
    1/4" drive ratchet and extension to get to that pesky little bolt holding the grills in
    a lift of course and some jack stands
    a light
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

go enjoy. i dont know if mine made a BIG difference but we are always
    2 up and pushing 370# or so combined weight. we try not to ride too agressively.
    [wife wont let me].
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Well, I appreciate all the tips, even Bob Denman's....LOL....I managed to have a couple hrs to work on it today after work, so, it's done!! Pretty easy job, but a little more difficult than the 2010 was. Now, I need time to test it out...Tools I used, (in case someone has the same idea)

13mm socket and wrench
    10mm socket and wrench
    1/4" drive ratchet and extension to get to that pesky little bolt holding the grills in
    a light

Now all that we need, is your "Report From The Saddle"!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post

13mm socket and wrench
    10mm socket and wrench
    a light

What year is your Spyder? What grills do you refer to?
    Last edited by wetmountainman; 07-14-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
    What year is your Spyder? What grills do you refer to?
    2016 RTS. The grills are the two black plastic ones up underneath. Taking them out just makes it easier to gain access. Like anything else, the job was a bit tedious, but definitely not difficult.. Patience is a virtue
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of the Spyders come with an anti-swaybar.
    The thing is: BRP tuned the suspension for a very compliant ride, and sort of forgot about those of us who'd like the bike to actually handle well also.
    Ron's bar is stiffer, so that it reduces the tendency of the bike to lean over in the corners!
    Would you say that "handling well" = "less complaint"? If so, does that mean the ride is rougher on uneven roads?

I'm thinking of having one of these installed on my 2016 F3-T -- What would including the "BILLET ALUMINUM END LINKS" in the installation accomplish?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Would you say that "handling well" = "less complaint"? If so, does that mean the ride is rougher on uneven roads?

I'm thinking of having one of these installed on my 2016 F3-T -- What would including the "BILLET ALUMINUM END LINKS" in the installation accomplish?

Thanks!
    I don't want to speak for Bob, Newbert, but my personal experience is that the stabiliser bar doesn't affect the "ride" per say, but simply reduces body roll. It's a lot more complex than that of course, but you get the idea. The "ride" is no different on uneven roads, but I find the F3 more planted.

The billet links that come with Ron's bar are made of sterner stuff than the stock BRP plastic links. They are part of the Bajaron purchase, so there is no reason NOT to put them on

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Technically, yes. The suspension will be less compliant with a stiffer sway bar installed. The key here is that a stiffer sway bar does not translate into a stiffer ride like a stiffer coil spring would certainly do.

So, if you were riding your Spyder off road with large dips and ridges on one side and the opposite on the other side like you might encounter with an ATV, etc., then yes, the lowered compliance would most likely be a negative as long suspension travel is very important in this kind of condition. Especially at speed.

But when you are talking about the relatively short suspension travel needed in street riding. Even on a pot holed surface (unless we are talking 6" + deep pot holes) then the potential reduction in compliance is never actually experienced to any noticeable degree outside of turning or crosswinds. And in these cases, the reduction in compliance is exactly what you are looking for.

Simply put. When you're in heavy off road situations, reduced compliance from a stiff sway bar is a negative. However, on the street, a controlled, targeted reduction in compliance means better traction, better control, more stability and flatter turns. What you want always depends on the conditions you are subjecting the vehicle to.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-16-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the really "fun" off-road trails: the anti-swaybar is the first thing runhooked when the pavement ends.
    Doing this gives you WAYYYYY.... more independent wheel articulation!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Technically, yes. The suspension will be less compliant with a stiffer sway bar installed. The key here is that a stiffer sway bar does not translate into a stiffer ride like a stiffer coil spring would certainly do.

So, if you were riding your Spyder off road with large dips and ridges on one side and the opposite on the other side like you might encounter with an ATV, etc., then yes, the lowered compliance would most likely be a negative as long suspension travel is very important in this kind of condition. Especially at speed.

But when you are talking the relatively short suspension travel needed in street riding. Even on a pot holed surface (unless we are talking 6" + deep pot holes) then the potential reduction in compliance is never actually experienced to any noticeable degree outside of turning or crosswinds. And in these cases, the reduction in compliance is exactly what you are looking for.

Simply put. When you're in heavy off road situations, reduced compliance from a stiff sway bar is a negative. However, on the street, a controlled, targeted reduction in compliance means better traction, better control, more stability and flatter turns. What you want always depends on the conditions you are subjecting the vehicle to.
    Thanks BR! Since I don't plan on doing any off-roading (hopefully), it sounds like it'll be worthwhile.

Spyder Garage

In the really "fun" off-road trails: the anti-swaybar is the first thing runhooked when the pavement ends.
    Doing this gives you WAYYYYY.... more independent wheel articulation!

You make a good point Bob. They make a quick disconnect for the sway bar on off road vehicles that are driven (rather than trailered) to where they want to drive off road. The sway bar is utilized on pavement to stabilize the vehicle and enhance handling characteristics. Then disconnected for off road driving to increase articulation (which is the same as suspension compliance).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default One Final Question

Thanks BR! Since I don't plan on doing any off-roading (hopefully), it sounds like it'll be worthwhile.
    I have (hopefully) just one final question - just so I know what to expect a bit more clearly.

I assume that, given the same radius turn, taken at the same speed, under the same circumstances, a Spyder with the BajaRon sway bar would require less leaning into the turn by the rider, than a "stock" Spyder without the BajaRon sway bar would (because the Spyder will dip/roll less to the outside)?

If so, would that mean that you could theoretically take the turn at a higher speed with the BajaRon sway bar, if you lean into the turn the same amount as without the swaybar? (I hope that my wording reflects what I'm trying to ask....)

Thanks!