Spyder Garage

Default SpyderPops F3 Brake Light Kit - Strobe not working as intended

Hi All,

I tried emailing Harvey directly on this but haven't heard back from him so just thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this issue before.

I have installed the spyderpops Rear BRT LED kit recently for my 2015 F3-S. The strobe feature for the LEDs is behaving oddly... see description below:

The install went fairly well and the LEDs seemed to be working fine before buttoning everything back up. The lights are working as intended minus one odd behavior with the "strobe" feature. When using the foot brake with the bike engine off they work as intended with strobe. However, when turning the ignition key to the on position or if the bike engine is running the strobe feature no longer functions. The lights still work when hitting the brake pedal but they will not strobe like they are suppose to, the LEDs just remain solid the whole time.

Has anyone with this kit seen this behavior before and/or know how to fix it? I have also seen the below two things happen randomly on occasion:

1. hyperflash to one or both turn signals. I have tried the "re-program" method several times but the issue continues to surface at random.

2. Several times at random I have gotten "bad key" errors on the dash when attempting to start the bike. I have two ignition keys and this will occur at random for one or both of them. I don't know if this is related at all to the installation of the LED kit but this issue was never present before installing the LEDs.

If anyone has any input/ideas it is much appreciated!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wait for Harvey to contact you or try him again. They are normally very responsive when notified.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Wait for Harvey to contact you or try him again. They are normally very responsive when notified.
    emailed him two days ago with no response... also tried using the site form. Hopefully I hear back from him soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trobbins27 View Post
    emailed him two days ago with no response... also tried using the site form. Hopefully I hear back from him soon.

Maybe they are at Some Spyder event or Vacation.. He is normally pretty quick with a response. May want to try a phone call too

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Maybe they are at Some Spyder event or Vacation.. He is normally pretty quick with a response. May want to try a phone call too
    Isn't Deadwood going on right now? Maybe he is there.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default SpyderPops F3 Brake Light Kit - Strobe not working as intended

Yes he is at the 3 wheel rally
    file:///Users/thomasholberton/Desktop/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Problem Solved!

Hello All!

So just as an update to this thread I have now resolved the issue I did a bit of research on my own and figured it out.

As an add-on to the spyderpops LED kit I had also purchased lamonster LED bulbs as well to replace the OEM tail lights. Apparently this was throwing off the voltage with the spyderpops LED kit and the lamonster LED tail lights installed together into the same wiring harness. I have resolved the issue simply by putting the OEM bulbs back into the tail lights. Everything works great now

As a follow up question for anyone that might have knowledge on the subject.... is there something I can do to allow for the LED bulbs in the tail lights as well? I don't know much on the subject but I have read in a forum perhaps replacing with higher output relays would do the trick? Again, I really am a novice when it comes to the electronics and any input is welcome!

Thank you all for the responses and I hope this information helps others that might run into this issue in the future

Regards,

Tony

Spyder Garage

Tony I have LED taillights that I bought from Amazon. I also have Spyderpops run/brake/turn signal lights with strobe and they work as advertised. I'm not sure why yours won't work with the LED taillights.��
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Tony I have LED taillights that I bought from Amazon. I also have Spyderpops run/brake/turn signal lights with strobe and they work as advertised. I'm not sure why yours won't work with the LED taillights.��
    Im not sure either... but they didn't work with lamonsters LEDs... do you have a link for the LED lights you bought, I might try them out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I have the same problem as what you described, but with anther vendor's B/R/T LED's. I also still have the OEM LED taillights.
    This thread is about an F3S, not F3T. The OEM tail lights on the F3S are NOT LED but conventional filament lamps. Very different wiring between the two and thus different kits for the strobes.

As for the LED tail lights not working with the strobe kits, there are resistors available to fix the issue so the strobe box and bike see the OEM current to the tail lights / turn signals. (they are combined on the F3S).

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This thread is about an F3S, not F3T. The OEM tail lights on the F3S are NOT LED but conventional filament lamps. Very different wiring between the two and thus different kits for the strobes.

As for the LED tail lights not working with the strobe kits, there are resistors available to fix the issue so the strobe box and bike see the OEM current to the tail lights / turn signals. (they are combined on the F3S).
    I'm sorry, as I did not notice that the OP was talking about the F3S. I'll delete my post as it does not relate.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Do you have a link or know where I could get these resisters?

Spyder Garage

Do you have a link or know where I could get these resisters?
    https://www.amazon.com/Resistors-Sig.../dp/B004EDF8HY

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Great, much appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Got the resistors off of amazon. I just want to make sure before cutting any wires... I see three wires going to the taillights/turn signals. Am I to splice into the white and gray wires to the red resistor wire? I assume the black is the ground.

Spyder Garage

Got the resistors off of amazon. I just want to make sure before cutting any wires... I see three wires going to the taillights/turn signals. Am I to splice into the white and gray wires to the red resistor wire? I assume the black is the ground.

Do not cut the wires.

Black is ground. One wire is brake/turn the other is running lights. You need to connect the resistor across the brake/turn and ground. This presents a larger amp load than the LED alone, approximating the load from the original filament lamp. I do not have wiring diagrams handy right now to tell you which color wire is which but perhaps someone else can chime in for now.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Do not cut the wires.

Black is ground. One wire is brake/turn the other is running lights. You need to connect the resistor across the brake/turn and ground. This presents a larger amp load than the LED alone, approximating the load from the original filament lamp. I do not have wiring diagrams handy right now to tell you which color wire is which but perhaps someone else can chime in for now.
    So you are saying to solder the two ends of the resister into all 3 wires?

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If not mistaken, there was a piece of paper included with Lemont's LEDs or Spyderpops RTB kit that stated how to reprogram the F3-S to use LEDs. When I get home I can scan and post if needed.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    If not mistaken, there was a piece of paper included with Lemont's LEDs or Spyderpops RTB kit that stated how to reprogram the F3-S to use LEDs. When I get home I can scan and post if needed.
    Sure, that would be great, thanks! I have all of the paperwork with me... I don't see any instruction for this issue. The lamonster bulbs didn't come with any... just the bulbs themselves. The spyderpops documentation does have a page for fixing the "hyper flash" but not for what I am experiencing.

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sure, that would be great, thanks! I have all of the paperwork with me... I don't see any instruction for this issue. The lamonster bulbs didn't come with any... just the bulbs themselves. The spyderpops documentation does have a page for fixing the "hyper flash" but not for what I am experiencing.
    oh, yea it was the hyper flash paperwork
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff