Spyder Garage

Default When's the First service on F3L scheduled? What's involved?

Im at work otherwise i would consult the manual which is at home.
    F3L. Wondering when the first service/oil change should be done. Most motorcycles are around 600 miles, not sure if these are the same.
    Also wondering what exactly they do. Guessing oil/filter and check tolerances on belt and steering play etc.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe it's 3,000K that's when the first service is on my '16 RTS Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Not Sure

Not sure about the F3L, but the manual for my 2016 RTL states, to do the break in riding for 600 miles then follow the service schedule. the first service says 3000 miles

FIRST INSPECTION - 5 000 KM (3,000 MI) Perform all items indicated in the PRE-RIDE INSPECTION. Replace engine oil and oil filter. Check clutch fluid level (SM6 model only). Check brake fluid level. Check reverse mechanism operation. Check engine coolant level. Check operation of control switches. Check the drive belt condition and its tension. Check tightening torque of the rear wheel axle nut. Visually check brake pads and discs condition. Check passenger handholds looseness. Check footrests looseness. Check body panels looseness. Check operation of storage compartment latches, hinges and key barrels. Remove front grill and clear all debris from radiator air duct.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Im at work otherwise i would consult the manual which is at home.
    F3L. Wondering when the first service/oil change should be done. Most motorcycles are around 600 miles, not sure if these are the same.
    Also wondering what exactly they do. Guessing oil/filter and check tolerances on belt and steering play etc.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

3000 miles for first service. Oil Change and inspection. Thorough check of all systems. I paid $350.00 for mine and that included the Oil Change.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Not sure about the F3L, but the manual for my 2016 RTL states, to do the break in riding for 600 miles then follow the service schedule. the first service says 3000 miles

FIRST INSPECTION - 5 000 KM (3,000 MI) Perform all items indicated in the PRE-RIDE INSPECTION. Replace engine oil and oil filter. Check clutch fluid level (SM6 model only). Check brake fluid level. Check reverse mechanism operation. Check engine coolant level. Check operation of control switches. Check the drive belt condition and its tension. Check tightening torque of the rear wheel axle nut. Visually check brake pads and discs condition. Check passenger handholds looseness. Check footrests looseness. Check body panels looseness. Check operation of storage compartment latches, hinges and key barrels. Remove front grill and clear all debris from radiator air duct.
    I have a F3-T, and my manual states the above. My mechanic told me I can wait until I hit 800 miles if I wanted to (I'm at 645 now), and while not required to do the oil change he recommends it. You never know what might come loose from the break-in period, and end up in the oil. I agree, after all I spend $24K on the machine, so what is another $200.00 (?) to change out the oil and filter to be on the safe side. I'm waiting for an opening to have it done this week.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I have a F3-T, and my manual states the above. My mechanic told me I can wait until I hit 800 miles if I wanted to (I'm at 645 now), and while not required to do the oil change he recommends it. You never know what might come loose from the break-in period, and end up in the oil. I agree, after all I spend $24K on the machine, so what is another $200.00 (?) to change out the oil and filter to be on the safe side. I'm waiting for an opening to have it done this week.
    I am thinking the mechanic is a bit mis-informed. The two cylinder versions required break in service at 600 miles. The three cylinder break in service recommendations are for 3000 miles and then 9300 miles later or once a year.

I see no problem with a check up earlier though. Like the ad says--its your money.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-11-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree, I think your service department just wants the extra $200.00. Break in has to do with how you ryde it, not with having the oil changed. Your warranty will not be harmed if you wait until 3000 miles.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

With all those that said...600 for the V-Twins and 3,000 for the triples....Soon it will not be an issue as the Twin has been droped so when they sell the last one there will be but one answer....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree wth the other posters who have commented on a dealership wanting to do an initial oil change at an interval less than 3,000 miles. Those folks just want another crack at your wallet.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why

Then why does the manual say 600? I'm not auguring, just wondering.

I myself don't mind doing the oil change early. After all, those dinosaurs died to save our motors

As much as I spent on the Spyder whats another couple hundred to be on the safe side?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I myself don't mind doing the oil change early. After all, those dinosaurs died to save our motors

As much as I spent on the Spyder whats another couple hundred to be on the safe side?
    Is it possible you were given the wrong manual? I went to the official BRP site and looked up the owners manual for your 2016 F3.

On page 93 it states:

First Inspection at 5000 km (3000 mi).
    Change Oil and Filter

etc. etc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Wondering when the first service/oil change should be done. Most motorcycles are around 600 miles, not sure if these are the same.
    I am a little confused about Can-Am's instructions in this regard. Somewhere in the manual it says first service is at 600 miles or so. But in other places it says 3,000 miles. My dealer told me not to bring it in until 3,000 miles, which I did. I'm guessing they did what the service schedule called for, which is to change engine oil & filter and check a whole bunch of other things. Probably they have a computer they plug into the DESS that gives them a heads-up if anything else needs attention.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-11-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then why does the manual say 600? As much as I spent on the Spyder whats another couple hundred to be on the safe side?
    See my other post. I also read in the manual that first service is 600 miles, but dealer said 3,000.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

From your manual I interpret what it says about break-in driving through first 600 miles to how BRP recommends driving the machine, e.g., easier on the brakes, limiting constant riding at given RPMs, not making WOT starts, etc. Just my uneducated guess. I can't find such a statement in my '14 manual, but there are a number of errors in that one because they copies a bunch of stuff from the '13RT manual. My dealership told me they'd see me at the 3K service.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    From your manual I interpret what it says about break-in driving through first 600 miles to how BRP recommends driving the machine, e.g., easier on the brakes, limiting constant riding at given RPMs, not making WOT starts, etc. Just my uneducated guess. I can't find such a statement in my '14 manual, but there are a number of errors in that one because they copies a bunch of stuff from the '13RT manual. My dealership told me they'd see me at the 3K service.
    Yours is probably the best explanation. My manual, the 2014, does discuss break-in driving techniques--easy on the tires, easy on the brakes, etc. When talking about break-in oil change services, if you have the 1330 it appears that 3000 miles is where you should be doing it.

So many dealers don't know technical diddly when it comes to the Spyders. When you get to the salesperson--then it is even worse. Add in misprints from copy/paste on old to new--and you have the famous cluster ####.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-11-2017 at 07:27 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

This should remove all doubt. It's directly from the F3 service manual 2016. Frankly, I'm glad to see more and more manufacturers getting over the antiquated 3000 mile oil change myth. With today's alloy's and improved machining tolerances, the oil company's 3,000 mile recommendation belongs on history's trash heap.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    This should remove all doubt. It's directly from the F3 service manual 2016. Frankly, I'm glad to see more and more manufacturers getting over the antiquated 3000 mile oil change myth. With today's alloy's and improved machining tolerances, the oil company's 3,000 mile recommendation belongs on history's trash heap.
    Yes, yes, yes. This is what I referred to in post #11. I could not do a copy/paste from the BRP website. For you 1330 owners, bye bye 600 mile break-in oil change service.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Oil Change

Coming up on my 3000 mile first service. Called the dealer I got it from (Bradford Marine N little Rock AR) and ask how much is the first service. $350.00 dollars for an oil change. I understand it has 2 oil filters and not easy to change but talk about price gouging. What a joke.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
    Coming up on my 3000 mile first service. Called the dealer I got it from (Bradford Marine N little Rock AR) and ask how much is the first service. $350.00 dollars for an oil change. I understand it has 2 oil filters and not easy to change but talk about price gouging. What a joke.
    Shop around for the best price. The difference in price for this service, between two dealers in my general area, was about $125.

Spyder Garage

Default What I did

Just did my first oil change and service on my 2017 F3 Ltd. at 2500 miles. Spyderpops in Arkansas, $145. Uses only BRP oil and filter products. Only small amount of fillings on plug, everything looked good, and I am happy. Now I'm good for the next 9000 miles to the next oil change! I really like these guys at SpyderPops, they tell you if you need it, or don't need it. They seam to be real honest folks and worth the hour drive from my house.

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

the F 3 manual does not say 600 miles as shown above.

I could not bring myself to wait till 3000 for a first service. I guess too many bikes over the years with 600 recommended has caused me to feel that way.
    I had my first service done at 850 miles two days ago.
    I will do it again at 3000 per the book. From then on, I will do oil changes at 4000-4500 mi. 3000 may be too soon, but I just can't accept 9000 as being OK. And no, I don't think I know more than the BRP engineers.
    I do not think that dealers are only after our money. I find if you go in with the attitude that you will get screwed, guess what, you probably will.
    Seems those who badmouth dealers at every opportunity are the same people who have never owned their own business.
    just my $.02

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple