Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SERVICE REP

Quote Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
    A service rep with the dealer finally called back. So kudos for that. I told him the reason I had called was because we recently purchased an 08 Spyder that had been sitting for 3 years. He asked what model it was, so evidently dealer service reps don't know what models were made in what years. After telling him it is a GS, and I would like to know how to remove the tank he responded that he would talk to a tech and did I mind being put on hold. When he returned these were his words, "I talked to a tech and he said that it is a very technical job and many parts must be removed in order to remove the tank. If you want the tank removed, you must bring it into the dealer. We are not allowed to release technical information like that to customers." I guess they figured I'm too stupid to be able to handle such a technical job. Didn't bother to tell him I already had it out. Thought ya'll might get a chuckle out of my latest dealer story.
    I am not in Love with dealers and have stated as much many times ....... However I think He gave you a decent answer .... in todays litigious society people SUE YOU even if it's entirely THEIR fault ....... plus I'm sure it's BRP policy that He was following........ I wouldn't fault them on this one .....the other yes however ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    The 'touring model' you mentioned was the base GS with mounting brackets, panniers, relocated (forward) pillion pegs which were optional Can-Am genuine parts. Some folks may have forgotten that too. However, panniers could also be bought from 'after market' suppliers.
    The 08's arrived pretty much bone stock. I built my "upgrade" from a combination of BRP and Corbin accessories. The trunk, seat, and fairing were from Corbin, the rest--from BRP, except for the 4" risers which were hand built by my dealer. I did all of the same to the 09, except for the seat. That was a BRP comfort seat.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default It's Alive, It's Alive!!!!

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted here about progress on our Spyder. It is now running, was able to accomplish the following. 1. Removed tank and cleaned completely with muriatic acid. Shiny clean. 2. Purchased a used fuel module on eBay and replace the fuel pump in the module. Replace O-ring for fuel module. 3. Replaced air cleaner. 4. Cleaned throttle bodies. 5. Removed and cleaned fuel injectors and they were stuck shut. Replaced injector o-rings. 6. Made new gaskets for venturis. 7. Changed oil and oil filter. 8. Replaced air filter. 9. Replaced anti-freeze. 10. Replaced battery. 11. Repaired ground connection for battery. 12. Replaced brake fluid and bled brakes. 13. Replaced clutch fluid. 14. Adjusted parking brake. "We" still need to clear all the fault messages and synch the throttle bodies, but the Buds system is need in order to accomplish. If there is anyone out there who can help with this, your help would be greatly appreciated. We live in South Texas, but anyone within 600 miles is close enough. Here are a few pic of the bike now that she is back together. My beautiful bride is pretty excited about having her own motorcycle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Touring Spyder

That is a very nice looking bike. Great graphics.
    Your efforts will be rewarded with miles of smiles.
    Thanks for the run down on cleaning the tank.
    You might want to keep a set of "O"rings on hand for the
    clutch slave cylinder. Lots of articles on this site about
    servicing the slave cylinder. Watch the clutch fluid level and fluid color.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Very nice indeed. Those look like aftermarket Corbin bags. I wanted them but ended up with the GIVI that were offered by BRP.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

KUDOS to you for doing all that by yourself.... you may know more about the O8 GS than your local dealer's techs.
    Beautiful looking bike and I'm sure once you get a BUDS connection you'll have it better than ever.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Cleared brake failure message!

Found a post from Billybovine with the following:

Turn on the ignition key.
    Wait until it fully boots up.
    Press the mode button like normal.
    Press down the brake pedal hard and hold it there.
    Turn the ignition key off.
    Wait until it fully shuts down. About 20 seconds but wait 30 to make sure.
    Release the brake pedal.
    Next time you turn on the key the fault should be gone.

It worked perfectly, no more fault codes displayed. Thanks to the great folks on this forum. Now if I could find a good independent mechanic with BUDS, or a Spyder owner with BUDS we could synch the throttle bodies. If any of you know of one in Texas, please advise. We would trailer the bike there to work on it. Thank all of you and God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
    Found a post from Billybovine with the following:

Turn on the ignition key.
    Wait until it fully boots up.
    Press the mode button like normal.
    Press down the brake pedal hard and hold it there.
    Turn the ignition key off.
    Wait until it fully shuts down. About 20 seconds but wait 30 to make sure.
    Release the brake pedal.
    Next time you turn on the key the fault should be gone.

It worked perfectly, no more fault codes displayed. Thanks to the great folks on this forum. Now if I could find a good independent mechanic with BUDS, or a Spyder owner with BUDS we could synch the throttle bodies. If any of you know of one in Texas, please advise. We would trailer the bike there to work on it. Thank all of you and God Bless, Ed & Sylvia
    I know that this was last posted in January and if your wife is like mine, you have gotten this done already but I just stumbled across it. If you are in North Texas, Cowtown Powersports is supposed to be a good dealer. They are on the SouthEast side of Ft Worth along I-20 just West of 287. I have heard good things about them but have never used them. I live in Waxahachie and have a 2008 GS SE5 with the same bags and trunk package on mine. I love the color and the graphics. Happy miles to you sir and your wife. Maybe we will meet up on the road.