Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to Can Am Spyder, in need of a little help! Fuel Tank

HI,
    Hopefully someone will be able to help. My wife recently purchased an 08 Spyder touring model, it has a manual transmission. So I'm guessing it is an SM5. The trike was donated to our church and she made an offer which was accepted. Don't think I've ever seen her so excited to try something new. I have been doing my own wrenching for years. 01 Dynaglide, 02 Ultra Classic, 72 Ironhead Sportster, 04 K1200lt, 04 Goldwing, various Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas, Kawasakis, and now Can Am Spyder. Don't have a service manual yet, but have been able to remove the touring bags, trunk, most of the tupperware, fuel lines and etc. It is my desire to get this trike running for my bride. Happy wife, happy life!!!! The trike has been sitting for 3 years. The previous owner indicated electrical problems and I already know the fuel system will have to be repaired. The gas smells like vinegar. I would like to remove the fuel tank, do a complete clean, replace the fuel pump, screen, fuel filter and so on. Then move on to the electrical. Removal of the fuel tank has me stumped at this point. All the bolts have been removed, fuel lines removed, and I have pulled the bolts on the brake cylinder, just haven't been able to pull out the tank. I must be missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ed

Spyder Garage

Default Big bike parts

Has a parts catalog with exploded views. You'll be able to see what fasteners you missed. They love to make it difficult!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
    HI,
    Hopefully someone will be able to help. My wife recently purchased an 08 Spyder touring model, it has a manual transmission. So I'm guessing it is an SM5. The trike was donated to our church and she made an offer which was accepted. Don't think I've ever seen her so excited to try something new. I have been doing my own wrenching for years. 01 Dynaglide, 02 Ultra Classic, 72 Ironhead Sportster, 04 K1200lt, 04 Goldwing, various Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas, Kawasakis, and now Can Am Spyder. Don't have a service manual yet, but have been able to remove the touring bags, trunk, most of the tupperware, fuel lines and etc. It is my desire to get this trike running for my bride. Happy wife, happy life!!!! The trike has been sitting for 3 years. The previous owner indicated electrical problems and I already know the fuel system will have to be repaired. The gas smells like vinegar. I would like to remove the fuel tank, do a complete clean, replace the fuel pump, screen, fuel filter and so on. Then move on to the electrical. Removal of the fuel tank has me stumped at this point. All the bolts have been removed, fuel lines removed, and I have pulled the bolts on the brake cylinder, just haven't been able to pull out the tank. I must be missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ed
    Sorry I cannot help explain how to remove the gas tank, but if you need a gas cap I have one you can have that will work on the RS.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You!

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. I have removed all fasteners for the tank, it can be moved around, but not enough room to pull it out. The master cylinder may have to be removed, but I am trying to avoid doing so. Thanks for the offer of the cap!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER WITH ISSUE

HI,
    Ed
    FIRST - ....& ....... There was NO touring model in 08 ... it is a GS ... and all those bags etc. were after market items added by some other owner....... I would copy the VIN number and take it to the nearest Can-Am Dealer ( that you plan to use ? )...... with that number He can search the Known HISTORY of your trike and supply much helpful info ... Personally I would find another way of draining the gas tank, I doubt it really needs to be cleaned ..... but new filters would be an excellent idea ...... also get a SERVICE MANUAL on-line ..... it's way cheaper. I know Green Manuals make one for your Spyder .... Also BajaRon doesn't think you will need to get the newer larger filter ...unless it's already been changed ...........Also better prices for OEM parts can be had at Procaliber.com - register for free for discounts ....and Cheapcycleparts (?) .......... best of luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-11-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

You have a job on your hands, but sounds like you are up to it.

Get the known mechanical history from any dealer--via the VIN. That should be helpful.

The mechanicals you mentioned are above my pay grade, so I will have to only watch.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

from the parts list view...the design of the tank looks like it should come out the right side. You would have to remove anything in the way there. Now there are sub-frames on either side that may have to be removed to allow the tank to come out. I know the rear two bolts mount to the main frame but the forward two mount to sub-frames...9
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder with Issue

Blueknight911,
    Then it would be a GS. Didn't know the bags and tour pak were aftermarket. The seats say Corbin, I knew they were aftermarket. I have ordered a manual on CD, just don't have it yet. Although the tank could be cleaned "kinda" without removing it, my preference would be to take it completely out and do it once. My experience with this type of issue on Harley tanks says, "take it out." Would rather go to the trouble of doing it this time and not having issues with it later. Just thought someone out there might have the knowledge to accomplish this and save some time and effort in the process. Thanks to all of you for the valuable information.

Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER MODELS

Blueknight911,
    Then it would be a GS. Didn't know the bags and tour pak were aftermarket. The seats say Corbin, I knew they were aftermarket. I have ordered a manual on CD, just don't have it yet. Although the tank could be cleaned "kinda" without removing it, my preference would be to take it completely out and do it once. My experience with this type of issue on Harley tanks says, "take it out." Would rather go to the trouble of doing it this time and not having issues with it later. Just thought someone out there might have the knowledge to accomplish this and save some time and effort in the process. Thanks to all of you for the valuable information.
    In 08 the year they first came out .... there was only one model .... the sporty GS, with no side or top bags .... in 2010 they introduced the RT which is a full touring model with all bags molded into the Spyder body ....not easy to remove ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi Notn2bars,

Re: Thanks to all of you for the valuable information.

This place is the best forum that I have ever been on for people willing to assist with info, etc.

There are a few characters on here ( I'm probably on a few lists ), you'll find out who they are over time.

And even the characters offer a nugget of info every now & then.

Just keep asking questions; we do not charge for answers, yet.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Keep us posted on your progress; we all like to read about this stuff.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Re Thanks for all the valuable information!

Many of you suggested I call the dealer, sooooo I did. Asked for the service department and was put on hold. After about 10 minutes I was told that the people in service are too busy to come to the phone, if I left my number, someone "might" call me back. I asked if I should call back later. The kind person on the other end said, "that would probably be better than waiting for a call." The dealer is not going to be any help. By the way, this is the same dealer that would not let people take a test drive when the Spyders were added to the dealership.
    Last edited by Notn2bars; 07-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default NON - RESPONSIVE DEALERS

Many of you suggested I call the dealer, sooooo I did. Asked for the service department and was put on hold. After about 10 minutes I was told that the people in service are too busy to come to the phone, if I left my number, someone "might" call me back. I asked if I should call back later. The kind person on the other end said, "that would probably be better than waiting for a call." The dealer is not going to be any help. By the way, this is the same dealer that would not let people take a test drive when the Spyders were added to the dealership.
    Sorry to hear this .... I will add your issue to my list of " Why I don't like Can-am dealers " .... But try this write to BRP customer service and tell them your plight .... AND how you were treated by one of their Dealers and NAME THEM ...ask them if this is the way BRP dealers are supposed to treat owners of BRP products ???? ........... just a thought .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find another dealer
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Where in TX?

Fyi Eddie Chance with little Loyds engine repair over in Palenstine has had some good referals & has been quite helpful for some of my odd end projects just talking on phone.
    image.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default It's Out

Pray everyone is having a great day!!!!! The tank is out. It's a good thing, it was full of crap. Crap that would not come out without taking the tank out. Below are photos of the inside of the tank, the fuel pump, the gas and stuff that came out of the tank when I turned it over. The following must be removed in order to take out the tank. Upper side panels, RH middle side panel, RH lower side panel, RH air duct, rear panels, RH rear foot peg support, RH frame support. In addition I removed the bolts for the brake cylinder so it would drop down a little and then removed the brake fluid reservoir to get the hoses out of the way. Then I gently persuaded the tank to come out the right side of the bike by gently using and hammer and block of wood. Gently to prevent from denting or damaging the tank. Once the job is complete we won't have the surprise of the junk compromising the fuel system. If you take a close look at the inside of the tank, it is apparent that the black tank liner is coming apart. As for using another dealer, the next closest one is 140 miles away. Rather than dealing with dealers, the time is better spent learning about the bike and how to work on it myself.
    20170712_100203.jpg20170712_100244.jpg20170712_100223.jpg20170712_100252.jpg
    Last edited by Notn2bars; 07-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Ain't She a Beauty

This is what she looks like presently. She will have to stay this way for awhile, for we will be riding the upper peninsula of Michigan for the next couple of weeks on our Goldwing. Will continue with the saga as time permits when we return. Again, thanks for all the help, encouragement, and comments
    .20170712_104705.jpg20170712_104633.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Find another dealer

x 2, 3, 4, 5...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry to hear this .... I will add your issue to my list of " Why I don't like Can-am dealers " .... But try this write to BRP customer service and tell them your plight .... AND how you were treated by one of their Dealers and NAME THEM ...ask them if this is the way BRP dealers are supposed to treat owners of BRP products ???? ........... just a thought .... Mike
    x 2 Another prime example of "Bad" dealers. And they wonder why they don't sell or service more of them.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I believe you can get the "history" of your vehicle by going to the official BRP website and inputting the VIN. Not fun to navigate, but you will have the answer on your particular 08.

Also the suggestion to contact BRP care

brp.care@brp.com

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Vin

Already went to the BRP site and input the VIN. The only recall was for rerouting a line, hasn't been done. Did this the first day we had it.
    Thanks again for the suggestions.

Spyder Garage

There was a recall to replace the DPS steering box. Contact BRP with the VIN to ask specifically if it has been done.

Also, check the torque on the drive pulley. They were inadequately torqued on assembly. A service bulletin was issued increasing the torque - 110 ftlb is what I used. A number of drive shafts were ruined in the past.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default VIN Check

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    There was a recall to replace the DPS steering box. Contact BRP with the VIN to ask specifically if it has been done.

Also, check the torque on the drive pulley. They were inadequately torqued on assembly. A service bulletin was issued increasing the torque - 110 ftlb is what I used. A number of drive shafts were ruined in the past.
    Checked the VIN and it does not show the a recall for the DPS steering box. Will call BRP to ask about it anyway. Thanks for the info on the drive pulley.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to see that you're making progress!
    Enjoy your trip!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Is Too Funny!!!!!

A service rep with the dealer finally called back. So kudos for that. I told him the reason I had called was because we recently purchased an 08 Spyder that had been sitting for 3 years. He asked what model it was, so evidently dealer service reps don't know what models were made in what years. After telling him it is a GS, and I would like to know how to remove the tank he responded that he would talk to a tech and did I mind being put on hold. When he returned these were his words, "I talked to a tech and he said that it is a very technical job and many parts must be removed in order to remove the tank. If you want the tank removed, you must bring it into the dealer. We are not allowed to release technical information like that to customers." I guess they figured I'm too stupid to be able to handle such a technical job. Didn't bother to tell him I already had it out. Thought ya'll might get a chuckle out of my latest dealer story.

Spyder Garage

The 'touring model' you mentioned was the base GS with mounting brackets, panniers, relocated (forward) pillion pegs which were optional Can-Am genuine parts. Some folks may have forgotten that too. However, panniers could also be bought from 'after market' suppliers.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.