Spyder Garage

Default Why is my RT Bottoming Out?

I have a 2012 rt. I weigh 226 pounds and the GF weighs ? Ok lets just say it might be 200, might be, not saying it is, just might be! I seem to be bottoming out, that is rear tire touching under side of rear fender I believe. I have the preload air shock at 16 psi right now. I have heard on the preload any where from 10-12 pounds up to 50-60 pounds! Could something be wrong with the rear suspension OR could it be that the GF & (I) are just too heavy for the suspension? Could the rear shocks just be weakening? Any other possibilities? "Be As Blunt AS You Need To Be" with your answers/replies! Thanks

Spyder Garage

You need more air in the rear air bag. I see you have a RT. Bump the air pressure up to 50 to.60 pounds. Max air pressure is 90 lbs I believe. Bruce.

Spyder Garage

I'm 310lbs alone, on an F3-L, and I am running the air bag at 50psi. I bump it up to 60 when the Chosen One gets on the back and bumps our weight up to 440. ( at least, I USED to, prior to getting Wilbers tailored to my weight.....now the air bag doesn't matter so much.)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AIR BAG

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    You need more air in the rear air bag. I see you have a RT. Bump the air pressure up to 50 to.60 pounds. Max air pressure is 90 lbs I believe. Bruce.
    I think Max is 80 lbs , but look at the sticker under your seat ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

You need a better shock for the rear. Shock is only good for 350-400 lbs. Get an Elka or Fox adjustable and built for you .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default BETTER SHOCK ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    You need a better shock for the rear. Shock is only good for 350-400 lbs. Get an Elka or Fox adjustable and built for you .
    I differ with you on this ..... it's either more air pressure or a SRING with a weight rating higher than stock.... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I differ with you on this ..... it's either more air pressure or a SRING with a weight rating higher than stock.... Mike
    Mike you are right. A shock does not hold weight. The air bag and spring does. Try more air first. Better shock will give better rebound. Less bounce.
    Last edited by JP58; 07-09-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

You ryde with wife a lot? If so, consider stiffer spring along with more air in air bag. I put one of Doc Humphries (Roadster Renovations) spring stiffeners in the rear spring, then add air when she rydes with. Works for me/us.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shocks?

Are these shocks you mentioned like a Shock/Spring unit? Could one of my o.e.m. shocks gone bad or have a leak in them? The ride seemed fine for quite a while and after having a rear tire changed by a dealer it seemed to bottom out even with just me by myself riding?

Spyder Garage

On my 2012 RTL, when the air compressor failed we were continually botoming out. I bypassed the air compressor and run 80 psi in the air bag. We ride double
    100% of the time and the ride is good and no more bottoming. Combined we weigh about 400lb.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    You ryde with wife a lot? If so, consider stiffer spring along with more air in air bag. I put one of Doc Humphries (Roadster Renovations) spring stiffeners in the rear spring, then add air when she rydes with. Works for me/us.
    Unfortunately,
    the years the spring stiffeners cover is 2013 and up. Not sure about the rear. Let me check something......

Just checked Cheap Cycle Parts for the spring part numbers and they are different on the rear for a '12 and a '13 and up.
    You might do some measuring and PM the diameter of the coils, the standing distance between coils, etc. You can PM me.... If we can get something to work for you, the fix will be less than $65.
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 07-10-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default by passing the air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    On my 2012 RTL, when the air compressor failed we were continually botoming out. I bypassed the air compressor and run 80 psi in the air bag. We ride double
    100% of the time and the ride is good and no more bottoming. Combined we weigh about 400lb.
    Roger
    how did you do the bypass...my compressor just failed.....I don't have a clue....my g.mail is genenewsome5@gmail.com...if you would pass on instructions I would be forever in your debt... thank you in advance gene

Spyder Garage

I run with 35 psi in mine. You have to find the happy medium where the air bag will allow the shock to do it's job. If you fill the air bag close to max pressure you might not have enough " travel " in the suspension to get the benefit of damping from the shock. At 35 psi I can feel the shock absorbing the bumps and it will only bottom out if I centerpunch a crater. Also at 35 psi I can push down on the passenger handgrips and compress the suspension and see and feel the shock damping at 50 psi I could barely compress it if I got on the back and jumped up and down on the passenger floorboards.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Another point of thought: Has anyone looked up the maximum recommended weight (rider, passenger, gear) for the RT?

I do not have the manual handy, but seem to remember that when we are talking around 400 # the limit may be reached.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Another point of thought: Has anyone looked up the maximum recommended weight (rider, passenger, gear) for the RT?

I do not have the manual handy, but seem to remember that when we are talking around 400 # the limit may be reached.
    It could well be, AK......The F3-L has an upper limit of around 450lbs with the newer 2up shock. It's why I had to go with Wilbers for 2up riding.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 08-12-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fat fingers...450, not 350
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

The total capacity is 525 lbs, in the manual.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomline View Post
    I have a 2012 rt. I weigh 226 pounds and the GF weighs ? Ok lets just say it might be 200, might be, not saying it is, just might be! I seem to be bottoming out, that is rear tire touching under side of rear fender I believe. I have the preload air shock at 16 psi right now. I have heard on the preload any where from 10-12 pounds up to 50-60 pounds! Could something be wrong with the rear suspension OR could it be that the GF & (I) are just too heavy for the suspension? Could the rear shocks just be weakening? Any other possibilities? "Be As Blunt AS You Need To Be" with your answers/replies! Thanks

Where and why did you put such a little amount of air into your rear airbag? There is a chart under the seat with the proper inflation recommendations.

Personally I always run a minimum of 50-60 psi of air solo riding and 80 ish with 2 up. For me this is what works, but YMMV. However, with your combined weight being at the upper edge of capacity a heavier spring at minimum should be on your to-do list.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

They way I see it.

!. Lose weight.

2. Get lighter Girl friend

3. Buy her, her own Spyder

4. Get truck tires and shocks

5. Air up to 50-60# in shock

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default 525 LBS. IN THE MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by Csh72 View Post
    The total capacity is 525 lbs, in the manual.
    ......Please provide a Pic of your manual ....I think it is a mis-print ......mine says 494 lbs ( an RT ) ....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    The 998 bikes DID have a higher load capacity. (535 lbs.)
    While the 1330s are limited to just 494 lbs.: we can carry that load a lot easier!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Our'13 RTL was set at 30# when we bought it. We (me 240# she 130#) felt it was bottoming out sometimes, upped it to 50# feels great!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT weight capacity

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......Please provide a Pic of your manual ....I think it is a mis-print ......mine says 494 lbs ( an RT ) ....Mike
    if you do a Google search on 2012 Can Am Spyder weight capacity, you can download the specs. Total load capacity states 525lbs. I do not know about other years but the 2012 RT is listed at 525lbs.