Thread: Contact BRP?

Spyder Garage

Default Contact BRP?

Who can you contact at BRP that can help you with the rear shock bottoming out on my F3, I've gone thru the dealer where i purchased the spyder and he submitted a claim to BRP but their technical people turned it down and said not a warranty issue. I contacted the BRP Support group and they can't do anything for me, so short of paying for and replacing it my self with the occasional two up rear shock does anyone have any suggestions of who else to contact at BRP
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Default SHOCK

I would think that as long as the shock is not leaking or broken it would not be a warranty issue as BRP says. How much weight is that shock having to carry? If you want to not have any more worries, then bite the bullet and buy the two up shock.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We paid for the two up shock, though I agree the supplied shock is below par - bottoms out even one up, average size rider. I have heard of a couple who got their dealer to add one gratis. I doubt brp will acknowledge it as a warranty issue.

Spyder Garage

Not a warranty issue. Just too light a shock. Unless it is leaking. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I'll join the club

My rear shock sucks too, and needs to have air added every week or so. Since I ryde two-up about half the time I'm going to replace the rear shock on my own dime.

Since BRP chooses to install such a sub-par shock in the first place, I'll be darn if I'm going to buy their two-up shock.

Seems to me that BRP knew many people buying a F3-T would be two-up they set it up to have to buy an upgrade shock from them. Burn me once, same on you. Burn me twice, same on me.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    My rear shock sucks too, and needs to have air added every week or so. Since I ryde two-up about half the time I'm going to replace the rear shock on my own dime.

Since BRP chooses to install such a sub-par shock in the first place, I'll be darn if I'm going to buy their two-up shock.

Seems to me that BRP knew many people buying a F3-T would be two-up they set it up to have to buy an upgrade shock from them. Burn me once, same on you. Burn me twice, same on me.
    The shock and air ride are separate systems.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The shock and air ride are separate systems.
    Dang I did not know that, so it looks like I'm back to square one for now. Looks like I have some research to do to see what to do about the air ride system, but from what I've read I will still need to upgrade the shock.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Dang I did not know that, so it looks like I'm back to square one for now. Looks like I have some research to do to see what to do about the air ride system, but from what I've read I will still need to upgrade the shock.
    Blue Star, if you are only losing a couple of pounds a week from the air bag, that's normal. Also, the 2016 F3 Limited has the new two up Sachs shock, and I thought the 2016 F3-T had the same shock ? (But I'm not 100% and glad to be corrected)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Confusion reigns...

The f3 & f3s have a poor rear shock - and no air bag.
    Brp sell a two up shock to replace this poor standard shock.

The f3t and its variants have an air bag - some auto, some manual, depending on the model/year

Spyder Garage

Default sorry, but

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I would think that as long as the shock is not leaking or broken it would not be a warranty issue as BRP says. How much weight is that shock having to carry? If you want to not have any more worries, then bite the bullet and buy the two up shock.
    Sir, thats not the point whether its a warranty issue or not , the design is sub-par, especially on a machine that cost $27,000 and you have to come up with a solution at your cost. You did here me correctly that it will bottom out on me and I weigh in at 180 lb. This is my third new Spyder and second F3 in matter of five years, I feel BRP should show some accountability.

Spyder Garage

Default Been there, done that!

I also ran it through BRP about a year ago and got the same result. I solved the issue by going to a local auto parts store and buying rubber coil spring boosters. Cost less than $10.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Default DOUG

Doug I understand your frustration but as I and others have said on this thread, this is not a warranty issue. I also own a '15 F3-S and was not satisfied with the stock swaybar. So I upgraded. I also added more lights to the rear for visibility. Also added a windshield. Also put a car tire on the rear to replace the inferior Kenda. The point is that many of us upgrade various parts of our Spyders to improve the ride, handling, safety, etc. Maybe as Spyder F3-S says you could try the rubber inserts from an auto store as an inexpensive fix for the rear shock.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Blue Star, if you are only losing a couple of pounds a week from the air bag, that's normal. Also, the 2016 F3 Limited has the new two up Sachs shock, and I thought the 2016 F3-T had the same shock ? (But I'm not 100% and glad to be corrected)

Pete
    I'll have to check the air better. I have had the F3 for only three months now, and I first learned/checked the air pressure three or four weeks ago. I do not remember the pressure, but the bike jumped up when I put air in. The second time I put air in it was not so much.

I'm not sure what shock is on my 2016 F3-T, but I do know I bottom out. Might not be due to an inferior shock since I'm at 227, my wife is a bit more (not saying publicly), but either way we never bottomed out on the RS or the two RT's I've had.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

I'll have to check the air better. I have had the F3 for only three months now, and I first learned/checked the air pressure three or four weeks ago. I do not remember the pressure, but the bike jumped up when I put air in. The second time I put air in it was not so much.

I'm not sure what shock is on my 2016 F3-T, but I do know I bottom out. Might not be due to an inferior shock since I'm at 227, my wife is a bit more (not saying publicly), but either way we never bottomed out on the RS or the two RT's I've had.
    I hope this isn't hijacking Doug's thread too much, but it is all sort of related. Let me know if you would like me to delete this, Doug.

The max load for the F3-T is 440lbs Blue Star, so unless the weights you have given are in your riding gear, you would be above that. I used to bottom out two up on the F3-L with the two up shock at 450lbs (I'm 310), so I have moved to a Wilbers rear shock. I think the new two up shock is not inferior per se (unlike the useless "occasional two up" shock), but is set up pretty much the same as other manufacturers, to cater for the best ride for Joe Average. I can't speak for the RS or RT as I have never owned one.

As for your air bag, the dealers rarely seem to check them at handover, and after a couple of months of ownership it is highly likely you would have been down to 0 pressure as the bag is only tiny. That would explain why the bike "jumped up". Unfortunately, each time you check the air manually, usually weekly, you lose a few psi, so it is self perpetuating. If you ever decide to go with FOBO for your tires, get the 3+1 unit version and put one on your air bag. That way you top it up with air only when you need to. Hope this helps.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Sir, thats not the point whether its a warranty issue or not , the design is sub-par, especially on a machine that cost $27,000 and you have to come up with a solution at your cost. You did here me correctly that it will bottom out on me and I weigh in at 180 lb. This is my third new Spyder and second F3 in matter of five years, I feel BRP should show some accountability.
    YEP WHAT HE SAID. IT IS CRAZY TO LISTEN TO THEIR BS EXCUSES. THEIR FAULT THAT IT'S INFERIOR THEY SHOULD FIX AND BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. IT'S ARE FAULT WE LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT. THE SHOCK IS JUNK AND THEY SHOULD FIX AT THEIR EXPENSE FOR THE PRICE WE PAY.

THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree.

It may not be a "warranty" issue, where something is not performing to specifications,

but in my view it sure is a Manufacturing Defect.

If I, a light-ish shortish person, riding one up, and someone who has owned a dozen bikes and only once before upgraded a rear shock (yes on a spyder) - if I have to replace it, there is something very substandard with the stock shock.

And i wont mention the possible connection between constant bottoming out and the early frame issue/patch......... Oh oops I mentioned it.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I hope this isn't hijacking Doug's thread too much, but it is all sort of related. Let me know if you would like me to delete this, Doug.

The max load for the F3-T is 440lbs Blue Star, so unless the weights you have given are in your riding gear, you would be above that. I used to bottom out two up on the F3-L with the two up shock at 450lbs (I'm 310), so I have moved to a Wilbers rear shock. I think the new two up shock is not inferior per se (unlike the useless "occasional two up" shock), but is set up pretty much the same as other manufacturers, to cater for the best ride for Joe Average. I can't speak for the RS or RT as I have never owned one.

As for your air bag, the dealers rarely seem to check them at handover, and after a couple of months of ownership it is highly likely you would have been down to 0 pressure as the bag is only tiny. That would explain why the bike "jumped up". Unfortunately, each time you check the air manually, usually weekly, you lose a few psi, so it is self perpetuating. If you ever decide to go with FOBO for your tires, get the 3+1 unit version and put one on your air bag. That way you top it up with air only when you need to. Hope this helps.

Pete
    Pete, thank you. What you said is very interesting, and helpful.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Care

I believe there is a BRP Care rep. as a member on this site, it would certainly be nice to hear from them on this issue.

Thanks Doug
    Last edited by Doug; 07-10-2017 at 06:41 AM.