Thread: NOVA SCOTIA

Spyder Garage

Default NOVA SCOTIA

leaving for NOVA SCOTIA on Monday (10 July 2017)...
    any advise from those that have ridden there...?
    i'm told i may need thermal underwear....
    any particular sites i should absolutely visit....?
    need i convert my USD to Canadian dollars...?
    will my phone work...?
    etc etc etc....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Last year when I went my phone quit working about 12 miles over the border. Check with your service provider. I am using t-mobile now and I can add roaming in canada.

Keep going east and do 'The Cabot Trail' So many twisties you'll pray for a straight road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You absolutely must ride the Cape Breton loop and stop at all the view points. Eat a lobster or three. Make sure if you have false teeth that your Denture Grop is working as the lop is quite bumpy in spots, enough to rattle your teeth.

You should probably take take a small amount of Canadian cash but you can use your credit cards everywhere. Check with your phone carrier to see what you need to do. For us adding a month long Canadian/Mexico plan was cheaper than the daily plan rate.

I saw saw a lady from New Brunswick post a picture of her and her Spyder and she was in shorts. But she probably switches to shorts as soon as the snow melts.

Have a blast.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default NOVA SCOTIA

Dan, when I went to Valcourt in June I had previously called my cell phone provider about using my phone in Canada. With Verizon I paid $5 per day while in Canada to make and receive calls, text, internet, etc. Check with your service provider. I also called my credit card company to let them know the dates I would be in Canada. That way they would know that my card had not been stolen when they saw charges on that date. As for Canadian dollars, you can pretty much use your credit card anywhere and the charges will be converted to American $ at the going exchange rate. Have fun!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CREDIT CARDS VS. CANADIAN CASH

I was at the Homecoming ..... check how much your CC will charge you for transaction fee's .... there can be a big difference in what cards you use !!! .... And do your money exchange in Canada ... they will give you more money for your US dollars than you will get from a US bank for Canadian money ..... ....have a great trip ..... if you haven't been to the top of Mt Washington , it's an exciting ride either way ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    will my phone work...?
    etc etc etc....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    if you are planning on taking the ferry to Digby, they may require tie downs. I'm taking the ferry from WI to MI and they require this for 3 wheels also. You may want a Canadian insurance card.

Spyder Garage

Allow a full day to visit Fortress Louisburg. Beautiful, and very interesting history. You will encounter rain, wind, cold, and some sun.
    Good luck,
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

will my phone work...?
    etc etc etc....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    It can be cool there. Convert your USD to Canadian. It is amazing how the exchange rate varies at almost every occasion. Hit them with their own stuff, and you will save a little in the long run.

Places to see: Peggy's Cove, Bay of Fundy. Cape Breton. The museum in Halifax. The encampment of the Cajuns before they were kicked out and moved to Louisana--it is near Bay of Fundy. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place. The Citadel--mentioned in a later post sounds familiar though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

All the above suggestions are great. If you are traveling thru Maine, you will probably cross in Calais Maine. If you have time check out St. Andrew's by the sea. Fundy National Park. Shediac N.B. Lobster capital of the world. In Nova Scotia the Citadel, then on to Cape Breton. As mentioned above visit Ft Louisburg. If you can only do the Cabot Trail once, go counter clockwise. There is a Scottish settlement on the east side. It is setup like an old settlement. There is a large Can Am dealer in Moncton, NB. A lot depends how much time you have. Sue and I have traveled all over the Maritimes. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Default Mt. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I was at the Homecoming ..... check how much your CC will charge you for transaction fee's .... there can be a big difference in what cards you use !!! .... And do your money exchange in Canada ... they will give you more money for your US dollars than you will get from a US bank for Canadian money ..... ....have a great trip ..... if you haven't been to the top of Mt Washington , it's an exciting ride either way ....... Mike
    Mike;
    I'm originally from Massachusetts... I've been to the top of Mr. Washington when you could see Paris, France and other times when you couldn't see you finger in front of your face... I'm sure you know about that.... my riding partner hasn't been to the top, and it's always a nice ride, so we'll go - weather permitting...
    THANKS everyone... sounds like Cape Breton is the place to see... for sure, will do....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as places to see, I'd add the town of Lunenberg - very colorful and a nice harbor. From there, ask a local how to get to "Blue Rocks" just outside of town. Very worthwhile if you like rocky coastline.

Spyder Garage

Very friendly people in Nova Scotia. I was there several years ago and asked a Gold Wing rider about a motel. He said "you don't need a motel, we have a spare bedroom." Been back to visit them several time since then.

Spyder Garage

Default NAME

Quote Originally Posted by 5Wheels View Post
    Very friendly people in Nova Scotia. I was there several years ago and asked a Gold Wing rider about a motel. He said "you don't need a motel, we have a spare bedroom." Been back to visit them several time since then.

PLEASE GIVE ME THEIR NAME & ADDRESS.....

ONLY KID'n... we have reservations at THE COVE MOTEL in Frankville....
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Nova Scotia

Glad to hear you're going! Cape Breton is awesome. I recommend traveling it twice, once each direction... it really is like a new road. If you can, do it in the evening... lots of wildlife. I'm envious!
    Enjoy! Bill

Spyder Garage

Default Trip questions

Dan, when I went up a couple years ago, I never swapped money for Canadian, my cell phone worked fine and the fee was negligible. Alexander Graham Bell museum was interesting. You can take a boat ride out to his summer house. I suggest doing the Cabot Trail in both directions, you're only there once! Enjoy,
    Bill P.
    !
    will my phone work...?
    etc etc etc....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Stay away from Fortress Nothingburg

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Allow a full day to visit Fortress Louisburg. Beautiful, and very interesting history. You will encounter rain, wind, cold, and some sun.
    Good luck,
    Roger
    Fortress Nothingness. There was nothing that is original, the British or French destroyed it like 200 years ago. The fools didn't understand it would be a tourist attraction one day. Some people in era specific costumes, lots of made in China stuff and a few happy faces. The best was being shown the "prison".....a brick sticking out of the ground! .......with a sign saying "maybe" this was a prison? Cold, Rain and fog.....that was my Nova experience. The worst was they pump gas in liters, sad a people cant figure out gallons.
    Fog Fog Fog....you would think they would have clear skies cause its a tourist attraction and such. I'll never go back to Nova Fog again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Fortress Nothingness. There was nothing that is original, the British or French destroyed it like 200 years ago. The fools didn't understand it would be a tourist attraction one day. Some people in era specific costumes, lots of made in China stuff and a few happy faces. The best was being shown the "prison".....a brick sticking out of the ground! .......with a sign saying "maybe" this was a prison? Cold, Rain and fog.....that was my Nova experience. The worst was they pump gas in liters, sad a people cant figure out gallons.
    Fog Fog Fog....you would think they would have clear skies cause its a tourist attraction and such. I'll never go back to Nova Fog again.

You sure are a happy guy. Single or divorced?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    True Story---check with your credit card company--there is a major difference in $ exchange cost between cards--same for Europe travel.
    d
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Just back from Nova Scotia

I have travelled here many times. Yes the weather changes at a moments notice but worth the trip. Places to see: If you are going through New Brunswick you are going to go past Fundy National Park (worth the ride) stop in the village at the other end for lunch, Hopeful rocks you will also past the highest tides in the world. Near Moncton, the tidle bore, magnetic hill and then around to Truro you will go past the fosil beaches which are south of Truro at #4 Mallorytown is a great fish and chip place. If going down the west side Digby great for mussels then across to Lunenburg north to Mahone Bay and up to Chester to the Rope Inn for the best seafood chowder you will ever taste. then north to Peggy's Cove and through Halifax with a great water front and Fort. then head to Cabot Trail and if it is your first time then go to the left as you will not be riding on the cliff side and if you have time go to the fort after that.

Hope that helps
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

Default Nova Scotia

leaving for NOVA SCOTIA on Monday (10 July 2017)... any advise from those that have ridden there...?
    i'm told i may need thermal underwear.... any particular sites i should absolutely visit....? need i convert my USD to Canadian dollars...? will my phone work...?
    etc etc etc.... Dan P Easley, SC SPYD3R
    PASSPORT. You will need a PASSPORT. Not so much to get into Canada ... you will definitely need it to get back into the USA.
    Thermal underwear is not a necessity at this time of year. But do ensure that you have rain gear, as you would back home. A zippered hoodie can be useful on cool, fresh morning rides.
    Go to an ATM in Canada and get Canadian cash there.
    As outlined below, check with your cell 'phone provider.
    Contact your credit card company(s) and let them know when you will leave, when you'll return to the USA, and where in general you're going.
    Cabot Trail is a MUST-see.
    Peggy's Cove is a MUST-see.
    Take lots of pictures!
    Enjoy the lobster and mussels!
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    It was destroyed by the British in 1760.
    The Canadian government rebuilt approximately 1/4 of it, using drawings and documents from the time, much of it on the original foundations. They did this: as a way of providing work for the coal miners whose mines had closed, teaching them new skills, providing continuing tourist income for the town of Louisburg, and preserving their history.
    I just spent two days there and enjoyed it very much. I think most people would. I am sorry that you did not.
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Apparently some people cant take a joke. I stated what I found as a matter of fact (what I witnessed) with a sense of humor. Fortress Nothingburg is not the original fortress and nothing more then Disney land for tourists. It was ok at best for those searching for true history. There are many historical attractions in tact today that survived "the test of time" that I would recommend before Fortress Makebelieveburg. It is ok if in the area but not as a destination. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Default Up there a couple of years ago Some Suggestions

This is a hidden gem of a road, which might be missed.NS 7.jpg

Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site 559 Chebucto St, Baddeck, NS B0E 1B0, Canada is a cool spot

We rode up thru Newfoundland and came back on the ferry out of Yarmouth to Maine Sometimes they have very good prices for Motorcycles to promote the tourism. Might be an option.

Here are a couple of ride reports I did from Nova Scotia.

https://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/201...ing-on-my.html

https://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/201...and-miles.html

https://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/201...oud-day-4.html

https://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/201...sun-day-5.html

https://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/201...ome-day-6.html

Any specific questions send PM and I will answer to the best of my ability

Have a great time

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White