Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Shock upgrade....is it really worth it?

When we went from our 2010 RT to our 2016 RT I noticed a big difference in the suspension. So, is it really worth it to go from stock shocks on the 2016 RT, to after market shocks? Fox, Elka...? What say you?
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 2010 RT: I went with Elka shocks, and Ron's anti-swaybar. It transformed the bike's ability to bend into a turn...
    On my 2014: I only added Ron's preload adjusters, and was actaully about to buy a bar... but I traded it in!
    Do they need some help? It completely depends upon how you like to ride.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Fox Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    When we went from our 2010 RT to our 2016 RT I noticed a big difference in the suspension. So, is it really worth it to go from stock shocks on the 2016 RT, to after market shocks? Fox, Elka...? What say you?

I had my dealer install the Fox adjustable shocks on my 2016 RT limited and it was like night and day, what a difference in reduced body roll and handling especially riding 2up.

Spyder Garage

on both mt 13 and 14 rt's i couldn't believe the difference with the elka shocks when i put them on
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Mostly on your ryding style and how well it performs for you. Casual/normal ryding they are set up pretty well but for the more intense ryders they will lack/limit your handling in the backroad twisties. Get a good amount of ryding and miles and then see by changing parts progressively. Start with a good laser alignment, then the BajaRon sway bar and hiem joints and finally deal with the shocks be it stiffeners or replacement...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHOCK UPGRADE

IMHO, the most noticeable improvement in handling from stock will be a better SWAY BAR ie from Ron at BajaRon ..... this not to say that a premium Shock Spring set-up won't be an improvement ....but imho ( ).... 90% of the people who get them don't have ability to set them up to achieve optimum value ...... and when you put a passenger on, do you want to start the testing process all over ...... best of luck on this ..... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka for me

I rode the hills of Arkansas and decided there was too much front end dive in the curves, so went with the Elka shocks. I even adjusted them to a fairly hard level and see a great difference. I did not feel my bike needed laser alignment as it tracks true and straight. I also did not get the sway-bar and am very happy with the performance of my 2014 RT Limited.