Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I suspect that you may have created a loose connection when you moved the ignition switch. There are 2 electronic cables coming from the switch. I believe that the longer of the 2 is the DESS ignition antenna. If that were dislodged I think you would get a DESS error, therefore I would check the connections on the shorter of the 2 cables.Spyder ignition switch.JPG

2015 RS SM5, Navy F4 Fighter wrap
    Passenger Backrest, RT Handlebars,
    BRP Comfort Seat, Airhawk R cushion,
    Garmin 660LM GPS, LidLox, Can-AM Top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GK72Cane View Post
    I suspect that you may have created a loose connection when you moved the ignition switch. There are 2 electronic cables coming from the switch. I believe that the longer of the 2 is the DESS ignition antenna. If that were dislodged I think you would get a DESS error, therefore I would check the connections on the shorter of the 2 cables.Spyder ignition switch.JPG

First, that wrap looks awesome.

Second, Thank you very much for the reply and info. I got frustrated as i don't think i did anything wrong and moved on to my next mod which was the battery tender. After messing with the battery connections, whatever happened in the IGN tumbler reset it self. Must have been some security thing with the DESS as stated. It works now and just to need to put on the HB covers and clean up the wiring from the zipties i cut to get some slack. Will finish it up this weekend.

Mike
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Glad that it worked out. Thank you for the compliment on the wrap. It's hard to tell from my picture but I also replaced my bars with the RT version. It was the best mod that I have done - much more comfortable riding position for me.

2015 RS SM5, Navy F4 Fighter wrap
    Passenger Backrest, RT Handlebars,
    BRP Comfort Seat, Airhawk R cushion,
    Garmin 660LM GPS, LidLox, Can-AM Top case

Spyder Garage

I own a 2012 RS-S and at 6' tall an 300lbs,I needed to make a few adjustments. I found that with my legs bent up under me I was leaning forward. I was putting a lot more pressure on my wrists, and my back would ache. First I did the comfort seat, and then added a set of web-boards. The web-boards made it possible for me to ride more than 200 miles in a day. I can easily ride 400-500 miles a ay now with no issues.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I own a 2012 RS-S and at 6' tall an 300lbs,I needed to make a few adjustments. I found that with my legs bent up under me I was leaning forward. I was putting a lot more pressure on my wrists, and my back would ache. First I did the comfort seat, and then added a set of web-boards. The web-boards made it possible for me to ride more than 200 miles in a day. I can easily ride 400-500 miles a ay now with no issues.

Just sayin'...........
    I appreciate the response, suggestions and real world experience. I am going the route that makes the most sense based on responses in being first Handlebars, second Seat or possibly Airhawk, third being floor boards and then sky's the limit or sell it. For each step I am going to give it 250mi before I make my next decision as this stuff ain't cheap. Don't mind a $750 seat as I have custom Recarros in my SVT and know what a good arse saddle means but $6-750 for floor boards is kinda out there for my current opinion. Both the Seal and Web boards do look like quality pieces and have great feedback so who knows. The RS is not a touring bike and I only ride like 150mi if I am lucky to get the time so the Boards will be one of the last things if at all. Maybe I'll try Mini Floorboards.

For those that are new like me and wondered WTF a Web-board is please see below link.
    http://web-boards.net/index.php/boards/rs-boards
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:

Spyder Garage

Red face Comfort? Here you go..

Hi, I have an 2013 RS-SM5, and what I did to mine (I found the stock position to crouched and cramped for my legs) to increase the comfort level was, 1) I replaced the RS bars with ST bars-they bolt on with no mods other than cutting a couple of wire straps to give the harness more slack; 2) I replaced the seat with a Can-Am comfort saddle; 3) I replaced the foot pegs with floorboards (big difference-now I can move my feet around and even stand up if I want!) and 4)I replaced the stock shield with a larger "road" shield. All of this gave me a more upright and spacious riding position and increased my comfort level greatly. All of these mods can be done in your garage if you know what a wrench is for. Oh also, the parts must be for 2013-2014. Parts for earlier models WILL NOT FIT. I found that out the hard way.

First, I know and knew before I bought the RSS that it is not a RT or ST in the comfort arena. I bought it to hang off it from time to time and No not like a knee dragger. I would like to be a little more Trike like comfortable when it is straight on the way home. I can want right?

I am 6’-1” and 205lbs without riding gear. I had back surgery a few years ago and had to stop riding to heal. On my RSS in standard comfortable riding mode if I move back an inch in the seat and straighten up a little my arms have about 3in before they are fully locked out. Hope that make sense. The width and angle of the stock bar is actually perfect for me. I have a problem with pressure points that slowly numb the hiney and move up to my shoulders and neck. I did a very wallet draining session with one of my HD’s in new Corbin and Le Pera seats, goofy gel pads, HB risers, pegs, floor boards, windshields you name it. All with little to No gain just to find a little more comfort.
    During my research, I found that the risers for the RSS are 1” higher and no other sizes available. Not much of a difference but some is better than none. I wish the HB was more snowmobile as you could go blind with the amount of 4 bolt risers available. I like the XBAR (I think that is what it is called) where you can adjust almost any angle but on the RSS I don’t see me spending that kinda $$ for possibly no gain. I also came to the conclusion that i will get an Ultimate Seat with Drivers back rest regardless as the stocker has zero grip and when I get off the seat the hump does nothing but interfere. I will then do Highway pegs. There will be no 2 up riding for me on this bike so don’t need to worry about that part.

So, the question is if you were striving for a little more comfort would you do the following in order?
    1. Seat
    2. Riser
    3. HW Pegs
    Or…
    1. Riser
    2. Seat
    3. HW Pegs
    Any other ideas, manufactures, links to products or other search buttons I can break would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

I too have 13 rs. I have had since new and have added farkles for comfort

1. ultimate seat with backrest
    2 floorboards
    3 highway pege
    4 st handlebars
    5 touring windshield with lip extension x-creen
    6 passenger footrest extensions
    7 top case for storage
    8 hmf exhaust
    9 knn air filter
    10 sway bar
    11 laser alignment
    12 car tire swap

All this and probably more that i'm not thinking. Did this through 4 yrs and still adding .

Don't know if would have ben cheaper to buy rt from start. But have did a little at a time what i can afford. Only regret is seat wish i would have went with russel day long. Sky is the limit

Spyder Garage

I've found the RS stock setup pretty comfortable even though I often do endurance rides. I'm 6'2" but long limbed. The mods I've made are small but I also take care on what I wear.

• Feet: Kuryakyn ISO foot pegs are much more comfortable than the stock pegs on long trips. I also have Gel Insoles in my motorcycle boots and wear Nike compression sports socks.
    • Hands: Grip puppies on the bars. I've fitted bar end weights though I'm not sure they have made any real difference. I always have two pairs of gloves of different makes. Gloves always have different pressure points that become noticeable over time, swapping gloves every petrol stops these getting irritating.
    • Seat: The foam in my stock seat finally gave up the ghost on the last iron butt so I've redone the foam and put one of Dave's gel inserts in at the same time. Only tested it on short journeys so far but it has made a difference. Also have a sheepskin on the seat when I'm touring - which is also useful if I end up having a kip at the side of the road:-). One trick a mate uses, which I've not tried, is to wear cycling shorts under your motorcycle pants as they have padding where you need it:-)
    • Back: I've got a Smooth Spyder backrest mounted in the forward position so I can lean back against it on the straights to take the pressure off my arms.

Spyder Garage

Thanks a ton everyone for replying. My first step was to install the RT bars which i did but ran into some ignition issues so she got dropped off at the dealer today. Long story and will explain later. Will take all recommendations in mind as money allows. I will be doing the comfy bits in stages with ride time in between and will report my findings to hopefully help others make up their minds.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:

Spyder Garage

I will let you know how mine does Saturday if it is not raining here in Houston.

I just bought for my 2016 RSS SE5 an Ultimate Reduced Reach Seat with Driver and Passenger Backrests, OEM RS ultra-touring windshield. Hopefully I can test this Saturday the difference an hour feels on this setup as to an hour on the stock setup. The windshield will be bolted on for road trips only. I love the RSS for what it is and grew up on sport atvs so I feel right at home with the stock RSS riding style. I am 5ft 6in and 180.
    Angus H.

2016 Magma Red RS-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zosixd View Post
    I will let you know how mine does Saturday if it is not raining here in Houston.

I just bought for my 2016 RSS SE5 an Ultimate Reduced Reach Seat with Driver and Passenger Backrests, OEM RS ultra-touring windshield. Hopefully I can test this Saturday the difference an hour feels on this setup as to an hour on the stock setup. The windshield will be bolted on for road trips only. I love the RSS for what it is and grew up on sport atvs so I feel right at home with the stock RSS riding style. I am 5ft 6in and 180.
    I HAVE TOURING WINDSHIELD ALSO. ENDED UP PUTTING X-CREEN FOR EXTENSION
    BAD DESIGN ON WINSHIELD

Spyder Garage

Default Comfy Mods So Far

Comfy Mod #1:
    Based on Forum input I installed RT Handlebars. Night and Day difference just sitting on the Spyder. Instead of the “Tucked Super Bike” riding position, you are more in a vertical riding position. Arms are bent in a very natural position, Head and Back are Vertical as nature intended. Way more relaxed for sure.
    When I look for comfort items like a seat, Handle bars or Risers like I did with my HD Dyna, HD Deuce, my office chair, seat for my cars, 4x4’s etc. I sit and close my eyes, relax and outreach my arms to what I feel is comfortable. I have someone look at me and make notes. Those notes help me decide which way to go. In the case of the RT bars I sat on the Spyder with no bars, did as I described above and had my dad place the bars (with no grips on yet) on the mount. Usually I have to sit for a few minutes for him to take notes. A second later he said that’s it, go ahead and open your eyes. My hands were at the exact position and angle where the Grips would be. For me, the RT bars are 100% perfect. With the new riding position, the stock seat umm not so much. See below.

Comfy Mod #2:
    Next on my list of comfort upgrades is a new Hiney Cushion. I ride maybe and i mean maybe 350-500mi a month, have back and neck issues so my focus was on pressure points. I want to be as comfortable as possible without having to skip a mortgage payment. Ultimately, I am trying to figure out if I can have decent comfort for as little $$ as possible. I am willing to spend a few $$ to see if I can. If I can’t, I will sell it to another Ryder to enjoy. Sometimes you just have to concede and throw in the towel.

I did a lot of research on Seats and it came down to these three choices.

Russell Day Long with Driver Backrest - $1100 plus riding downtime and waiting list
    Ultimate with Driver Backrest - $750 No riding downtime
    Can Am Comfort NO Backrest - $425-$550 - No riding downtime

If $$ was no object the RDL would be the clear winner based on what I have read in the reviews. Seeing that I ride maybe 350-500mi a month it is hard to justify the RDL. I read a lot of great reviews on the BRP Comfort seat and that was going to be my next purchase. I then found a great deal on an Ultimate with Driver and Passenger Backrest which is in route now. For less than $100 more than a BRP Comfort seat it was a no brainer for me.
    I will try the Ultimate Seat and if I feel an upgrade to the RDL is warranted then I will start saving some $$. By going with either the BRP or Ultimate I would at least have a stock pan to send in and still be able to ride while it is being shipped, built and then shipped back.

Comfy Mod #3
    Will be either a Windshield or Floorboards.

Once my Spyder is back form the dealer I will take pics of the RT bars and install the Ultimate seat.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:

Spyder Garage

I will keep that in mind for the X-creen.
    Angus H.

2016 Magma Red RS-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zosixd View Post

Thats awesome. Look forward to your findings.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    Thats awesome. Look forward to your findings.

So I tested the Ultra touring windshield and Ultimate seat.

The air only hits the top of my helmet and that is it. Not bad for what I want on long trips. Could be a bit taller or add a deflector to completely move the air over me. I am used to my sport one and the air hitting me from the ribs up so I am not complaining at all. All I did was add just the windshield and not the brackets and side pieces that come in the kit. 4 torx 30 screws and done to swap them.

Now for the Ultimate seat that is money well spent. The seat definitely sits you more upright, a bit closer and in the bike and not on it. I am not sure if I will use the back rest because the seat itself feels fine with the lower back/hip support. I need to play with the adjustments on the back rest. I can tell you that a full throttle launch going through the gears you do not slide back in the seat. There is plenty of support right about the belt area of your pants and lower to keep you from moving under throttle. I also didn't feel that my legs were more spread out than normal and feet were still under me. I did a 1 hour ride each way on the tollway here in Houston, Texas yesterday afternoon. YEP very hot!

I think the seat and the RT bars should be your first things to change for comfort. Seat first so you know how you are sitting then adjust from there.
    Last edited by Zosixd; 08-14-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    Angus H.

2016 Magma Red RS-S SE5