Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Comfort Impossible for a RSS?

Newly hatched 2014 Spyder RSS SE5 Owner here. After breaking the Pesky Search button I am more confused than ever. So, I have a few statements, background and of course questions.

First, I know and knew before I bought the RSS that it is not a RT or ST in the comfort arena. I bought it to hang off it from time to time and No not like a knee dragger. I would like to be a little more Trike like comfortable when it is straight on the way home. I can want right?

I am 6’-1” and 205lbs without riding gear. I had back surgery a few years ago and had to stop riding to heal. On my RSS in standard comfortable riding mode if I move back an inch in the seat and straighten up a little my arms have about 3in before they are fully locked out. Hope that make sense. The width and angle of the stock bar is actually perfect for me. I have a problem with pressure points that slowly numb the hiney and move up to my shoulders and neck. I did a very wallet draining session with one of my HD’s in new Corbin and Le Pera seats, goofy gel pads, HB risers, pegs, floor boards, windshields you name it. All with little to No gain just to find a little more comfort.
    During my research, I found that the risers for the RSS are 1” higher and no other sizes available. Not much of a difference but some is better than none. I wish the HB was more snowmobile as you could go blind with the amount of 4 bolt risers available. I like the XBAR (I think that is what it is called) where you can adjust almost any angle but on the RSS I don’t see me spending that kinda $$ for possibly no gain. I also came to the conclusion that i will get an Ultimate Seat with Drivers back rest regardless as the stocker has zero grip and when I get off the seat the hump does nothing but interfere. I will then do Highway pegs. There will be no 2 up riding for me on this bike so don’t need to worry about that part.

So, the question is if you were striving for a little more comfort would you do the following in order?
    1. Seat
    2. Riser
    3. HW Pegs
    Or…
    1. Riser
    2. Seat
    3. HW Pegs
    Any other ideas, manufactures, links to products or other search buttons I can break would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Going right direction with seat exchange. I have the ultimate on my RS wishing would have went Russel day long. Ultimate is still good.

Switch bars out from ST or RT 13 and newer will work. Floorboards and you are ready to rock. Which i have on mine plus more.

Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

Bars & seat. Being tall, you need the bars higher. The 1" riser does absolutely nothing.

I had both an 08 and 09 GS/then RS. $6K worth of mods did not make them comfortable for me. I quickly traded my 08 for a Premier Edition RT when they came out in 2010. Been an RT person ever since.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-06-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default comfort for am RSS

Going right direction with seat exchange. I have the ultimate on my RS wishing would have went Russel day long. Ultimate is still good.

Switch bars out from ST or RT 13 and newer will work. Floorboards and you are ready to rock. Which i have on mine plus more.

Definitely Seat first, Russel Day Long would be my choice. then change to the RT take off bars from someone who has upgrades to the tri axis bars.

Floor boards, Seal boards give you the most move around space. All toll~ $ 2000.00 later you should have achieved comfort. What is it worth to you???
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Comfort

The risers and seat go hand in hand, meaning that changing either alone is not ideal. The seat will be designed for an upright sitting position, which won't be there until you do the risers/bars. I did the adjustable risers first and noticed immediately how uncomfortable the stock seat was, as it was made for the forward-leaning RS S position. Fortunately, the RDL seat arrived quickly and all was well
    Pegs, if needed, last, because they won't feel right until your seating position is more upright. Just my findings....
    Dan

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had some similar discomfort to yours and was on the verge of getting a new seat and still may.

I was going to physical therapy for a neck nerve issue and in conversation I mentioned this to the physical therapist, her comment was I can help you with that, I was all in.

She set me up with an exercise routine to strengthen my gluteus (butt muscles), I have only been at it for about a month and a half but it has already made a difference. Previously after about an hour, even with highway pegs and sheepskin, which both help I have to get off after about 90 minutes max, now that is not an issue, though a longer test has not been available yet, but for $25 per month I am all in for now.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

seating was GS/RS/RSS were the leaning forward sport rydes. Then they came up with the RT full up seating so naturally they made the ST somewhere in between . Then the F3 total crusier harley type. But your on the right track for what your looking for. I am 6'1" 185 with back and leg problems and love my RS. Added the Comfort seat and can ryde all day.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had the risers and Ultimate on my 09 GS BUT my best upgrade was trading it in with 35,000 miles for my 2015 F3?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Wow! Way too many multi quotes to use to say thank you all and you are very helpful.

I am looking for the PN on the ST or RT 13 and newer handlebars. A few sites seem to call out different numbers Left and right that you have to refer to in the manual which of course i don't have. Anyone have a PN handy so i can order a set. Much appreciated.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post

Hope this helps
    That is the direction that I would go. For me, I would search for floorboards that will lower your feet by a couple of inches.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Found some more info. I am a visual learner and figured they were like regular handlebars just with bigger risers and possible kickback. Yeah? No! Looked at mine and said WTF. From what i can see on the blow up i need the PN's below. Look right as i will be reusing some of my parts? The cost from these people doesn't seem out of line or at least what i paid for custom bars on bikes before.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/2013-can-am-spyder-rt-rts-se5-sm5-steering-assembly.html

Location Part Description
    10 HANDLEBAR (RT-STD)
    Part Number: 709400891 Required per assembly: 1 $115.00
    20 HANDLEBAR CENTRAL COVER
    Part Number: 709400579 Required per assembly: 1 $11.45
    50 LH STEERING COVER. SE5 ELECTRONIC
    Part Number: 709400577 Required per assembly: 1 $11.45
    60 RH STEERING COVER
    Part Number: 709400578 Required per assembly: 1 $11.45
    190 HEX. FORMING SCREW M5 X 16
    Part Number: 210251680 Required per assembly: 4 $3.12
    Total $152.47

Spyder Garage

I turned my 2013 RS into somewhat of an RT wannabe and it made a world of difference to my comfort and I don't think I gave up any performance, other that the extra weight of side and top boxes. I could still outrun my wife's 2014 RT no problem.

You can't put handlebar risers on a 2013 or later, you swap out for ST or RT handlebars or get the Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars as there are no "bars" in these handlebars.

I put RT handlebars on mine and the numb hands problem disappeared, added floorboards so no more numb feet & legs, got the BRP comfort seat which made my butt much happier (Russell Day-Long prolly better!), all these items were bought from the classifieds on this forum. I you don't see what you are looking for listed just put out a want to buy. Some folks here have upgraded/changed their trikes and still have the old parts on-hand.

02-20170611_142405 (Medium).jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default swap

Go to advance search and type in handlebar swap. You will see article by hchays

Tells you step by step and also gives you part numbers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I turned my 2013 RS into somewhat of an RT wannabe and it made a world of difference to my comfort and I don't think I gave up any performance, other that the extra weight of side and top boxes. I could still outrun my wife's 2014 RT no problem.

You can't put handlebar risers on a 2013 or later, you swap out for ST or RT handlebars or get the Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars as there are no "bars" in these handlebars.

I put RT handlebars on mine and the numb hands problem disappeared, added floorboards so no more numb feet & legs, got the BRP comfort seat which made my butt much happier (Russell Day-Long prolly better!), all these items were bought from the classifieds on this forum. I you don't see what you are looking for listed just put out a want to buy. Some folks here have upgraded/changed their trikes and still have the old parts on-hand.
    That turned out great. Thanks for sharing your experiences and mods. I was on the fence in regards to should i get the ST or RT bars but i think with my height i will go with RT. How tall are you and is your avatar your riding position?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HANDLEBAR OPTION - 3

I don't remember who did it ( might be " quasi " ) but a member here put ' dog bone " style risers on the newer style ( 12 - up ) RS - RSS - ST stock handelbars . The risers were from the sno-mobiler's " RSI " brand sold @ DennisKirk.com ( they have different sizes for about $75.00 ) .... maybe someone here will remember who did this .???? ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-07-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    That turned out great. Thanks for sharing your experiences and mods. I was on the fence in regards to should i get the ST or RT bars but i think with my height i will go with RT. How tall are you and is your avatar your riding position?
    I am 5/ 8" but have short legs, 29" inseam, and a tall torso. The RS fit me perfectly after all my mods.

That avatar is actually my wife on my Spyder, I took the picture and just love it with the blurred background. We were in a big parking lot and she was practicing for her drivers license test - she used my RS as it was more agile than her 2014 RT-L. She is 5' 3" and I don't think I have a profile picture of me on my Spyder so I don't know what my riding position was.

I sold my Spyder so I can't take any new pictures.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Newly hatched 2014 Spyder RSS SE5 Owner here. After breaking the Pesky Search button I am more confused than ever. So, I have a few statements, background and of course questions.

First, I know and knew before I bought the RSS that it is not a RT or ST in the comfort arena. I bought it to hang off it from time to time and No not like a knee dragger. I would like to be a little more Trike like comfortable when it is straight on the way home. I can want right?

I am 6’-1” and 205lbs without riding gear. I had back surgery a few years ago and had to stop riding to heal. On my RSS in standard comfortable riding mode if I move back an inch in the seat and straighten up a little my arms have about 3in before they are fully locked out. Hope that make sense. The width and angle of the stock bar is actually perfect for me. I have a problem with pressure points that slowly numb the hiney and move up to my shoulders and neck. I did a very wallet draining session with one of my HD’s in new Corbin and Le Pera seats, goofy gel pads, HB risers, pegs, floor boards, windshields you name it. All with little to No gain just to find a little more comfort.
    During my research, I found that the risers for the RSS are 1” higher and no other sizes available. Not much of a difference but some is better than none. I wish the HB was more snowmobile as you could go blind with the amount of 4 bolt risers available. I like the XBAR (I think that is what it is called) where you can adjust almost any angle but on the RSS I don’t see me spending that kinda $$ for possibly no gain. I also came to the conclusion that i will get an Ultimate Seat with Drivers back rest regardless as the stocker has zero grip and when I get off the seat the hump does nothing but interfere. I will then do Highway pegs. There will be no 2 up riding for me on this bike so don’t need to worry about that part.

So, the question is if you were striving for a little more comfort would you do the following in order?
    1. Seat
    2. Riser
    3. HW Pegs
    Or…
    1. Riser
    2. Seat
    3. HW Pegs
    Any other ideas, manufactures, links to products or other search buttons I can break would be appreciated.
    Go to sealfloorboards.com and see what I did to my yellow and black, 2009 RS SE5.
    I put a 24" windshield on, a 5" Hillybar riser on and invented the first ever Spyder Floorboard. I ended up with an amazingly comfortable ride for this gimped up old man. The Floorboards reach far enough forward to become Hwy Pegs. Looked almost like an F3 in my seating position. I could then...Ride in comfort.
    John
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 07-07-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. Seat
    2. Riser
    3. HW Pegs
    Or…
    1. Riser
    2. Seat
    3. HW Pegs
    I lowered and set back my foot pegs and it helped a lot im tall also the change moved my knees enough that they were in the scooped part of the [tank] so i wasnt spread so much at my hips it helped a lot
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have a 13, so the ST bar option is a no-brainer. I wish the ST bars would retrofit to the earlier ones though, it looks more factory than the old "cut bar" risers or the heli-bar riser blocks.

I swapped out the stock seat for a comfort seat, that lowered me an inch and moved my butt back an inch. Adding heli-bar risers raised it an inch and moved it back 4.5in. Now it rides like an ST.
    Last edited by asp125; 07-07-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default RT Handlebars Ordered

I want to say thanks again to everyone who replied with opinions, experiences etc. I appreciate it very much.

I ordered the RT Handlebars last night and will square away that part. Talked to Russell and will be ordering a Day Long seat once i can get pictures of my riding position with the new bars.
    Last edited by cmbspyderrss; 07-08-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: 2 many Longs

Spyder Garage

Default Long long?

I want to say thanks again to everyone who replied with opinions, experiences etc. I appreciate it very much.

I ordered the RT Handlebars last night and will square away that part. Talked to Russell and will be ordering a Day Long long seat once i can get pictures of my riding position with the new bars.
    Did you order an extra long seat?
    J/K, you're going to love the Russell!

20170202_111520.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Am View Post
    Did you order an extra long seat?
    J/K, you're going to love the Russell!

20170202_111520.jpg
    Ha Ha. I was writing on my first cup of coffee. Corrected.

Really like the looks of your seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post

02-20170611_142405 (Medium).jpg
    Very nice looking RS. Similar to what I did with mine. Glad you mentioned that it is now bars only (2013 and later) instead of risers. For the buzzing, we installed the handlebar weights that were available from BRP the first couple years.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at my seal floorboards. They were designed for the RS and where the first floor boards ever designed for a spider. You will find yourself sitting straighter and have tons more leg room and will be able to ride longer distances without cramping up. Getting, on and off is also much easier. Check out my seal floorboards website and see what I did with my 2009 RS. It became extremely comfortable to ride. Seal floorboards was the first and still the best floorboard on the market.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Default Ignition Help!!

Installing some RT bars on my Spyder and in the final stages but now my ignition doesn't work.

I think i went to far trying to figure out how to get the ignition tumbler off and took off the bottom cover. After i did this i realized you could just undo the Frunk and Seat cables and unbolt it. I have 12.58v at the battery, no blown fuses, when the key is in it releases the Frunk and Seat but does initialize.

When putting on the bottom cover it is keyed so you can't put it up side down and i 100% made sure the white plastic gear engaged the gear on the tumbler. The zinc looking gear on the tumbler moves in and out of the tumbler about 1/4 in. Because of that i made sure it was en-gauging the white gear. The steering lock pin seems to be in the non en-gauged position as it has some distance to go before hitting the lock bar.

Not sure what i did wrong but any help would be appreciated.

Ignition Switch 1.jpgIgnition Switch 2.jpgIgnition Switch 3.jpgIgnition Switch 4.jpg
    Last edited by cmbspyderrss; 07-23-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added Pics
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach