Spyder Garage

Default engine difference in RTS and F3

Both of these Spyders have same engine but yet the F3 is more high performance or quicker. What makes the difference in these two machines engine wise I am speaking of. I have an 2014 RTS but the engine doesn't have the same reponse as my 2009 Sypder had. The 990 engine was a lot more responsive when getting on the throttle than the 1330 RTS. This might have been address in earlier post but haven't been able to find my answers. Can anyone help me on this. Thanks
    Happy Spyder Owner:2014 Black Spyder RTS SE6
    Previous Spyder:2009 Red SE5 Mods- Chad windshield;12 volt adapter, 2 Brothers exhaust

Spyder Garage

Default ECO mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunborn View Post
    Both of these Spyders have same engine but yet the F3 is more high performance or quicker. What makes the difference in these two machines engine wise I am speaking of. I have an 2014 RTS but the engine doesn't have the same reponse as my 2009 Sypder had. The 990 engine was a lot more responsive when getting on the throttle than the 1330 RTS. This might have been address in earlier post but haven't been able to find my answers. Can anyone help me on this. Thanks
    Are you in ECO mode on the RT??

If so hold the ECO button for 3 sec and turn off ECO mode...then try it....
    Last edited by Genradman; 07-06-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: update

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Genradman View Post
    Are you in ECO mode on the RT??

If so hold the ECO button for 3 sec and turn off ECO mode...then try it....
    Thanks I will try that I have had it on eco for so long I forgot about that .
    Happy Spyder Owner:2014 Black Spyder RTS SE6
    Previous Spyder:2009 Red SE5 Mods- Chad windshield;12 volt adapter, 2 Brothers exhaust

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunborn View Post

The difference between the 1330 RT and F3 is the F3 has a larger diameter sprocket on the rear wheel.

Spyder Garage

Default RT vs F3 Rear sprocket

Has anyone attempted to run the 990 RT rear drive sprocket on an F3 ??? It should result in a higher top end, and or a lower cruise RPM. The F3 seems to have enough torque to handle it. Not sure if there would need to be a drive belt swap required to do it.

Spyder Garage

The F3 is 100 lbs. lighter than a RT. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cearley View Post
    Has anyone attempted to run the 990 RT rear drive sprocket on an F3 ??? It should result in a higher top end, and or a lower cruise RPM. The F3 seems to have enough torque to handle it. Not sure if there would need to be a drive belt swap required to do it.
    Might the computer(s) balk? Have no idea.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    The difference between the 1330 RT and F3 is the F3 has a larger diameter sprocket on the rear wheel.
    What he said is the truth.
    But, after owning a RSS, a F3T, and a 2014 RT, I will have to say that even though the F3T is quicker than the RT, it is still not as quick as the RSS. That 2 cylinder just revs to the moon once you get it moving.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Might the computer(s) balk? Have no idea.
    We have had folks try it: error messages DO pop up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The ecu's have different calibrations for which sprocket is used. This can easily be changed / reprogrammed. (otherwise P0730 codes pop up)

So an F3 could use the taller 79T gearing if wanted. Or RT could use the shorter 89T sprocket. Most of the quickness differences comes from the gearing rather than programming. Both are severally limited.

Gearing is not an issue in either. 3rd gear is more than capable of blowing past the speed limiters. And then there is 3 more gears to go. Its all in what your allowed. But it is strange that they wouldn't match the v990 in terms of pure upper power output and speed.

Spyder Garage

Your 998 was a 5 speed your 1330 is a 6 speed.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

This is an old thread but I just wanted to comment anyway since I didnīt find any finding like mine in the previous comments.

If you compare the RTS with 1330 engine and the F3 with the same engine and are in ECO mode I would say turn it off! I experience a huge difference in response and performance in ECO vs normal mode!
    I donīt ever use ECO because I have the Spyder not to save gas but to have fun

According to my dealer there is a software difference in the two modes so you wonīt get the full capacity out of it in ECO mode.
    2016 F3-S Special Series , Matte Black

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

though the title refers to the difference in the 1330 RT and F3 your text seem to aim at the difference of the 1330 and the 998. As to the RT/F3 they are the same engine though the programming may be different. Some F3 have a more relaxed nanny but I am not that familiar with them. As to the 1330 and 998 pre 2013, which had the 106hp engine and ran closer to the power band , the fact they ran best close to the power band they responded way better. They are two different ryde kinda a sport bike and a touring bike.... I believe the european models have a different sproket and some have asked about changing over....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's simple: the F-3 is lighter, and is geared lower!
    The engines are one and the same.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black