Spyder Garage

Default Problem with Spyderpops Longhorn Run/Turn LED's

Installed the Longhorn run/turn lights about a month ago. No significant problems with the install other than the learning curve on first time panel removal. Only problem I had was pulling one of the wires from the spade connector going to the mirror assembly on the right side. I reinserted and crimped the wire but it was still a bit loose, so I also taped it. Probably should have just stripped the wires and used a small wire nut.

Came home from a meeting this evening and the light on that side was dark. The bike was out in a hard rain, but the light quit working on the way home, was fine initially. Interestingly enough when I got home and into the garage I noticed that the strip was lit but very, very faint.

My first thought was just the loose connection, but if that was the case, why would it be lit but faint. I'm not familiar enough with LED's to know it that's telling me something. I'll get into it in the morning, but have any of you ever had a failure like this with an LED strip? I'll let you know what I find.

Bob
    Old Crow

1960 Vespa 150
    1965 Bridgestone 175
    2003 Kawasaki 1600 Classic
    2010 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad
    2013 Spyder RT-S (Current ride)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    Installed the Longhorn run/turn lights about a month ago. No significant problems with the install other than the learning curve on first time panel removal. Only problem I had was pulling one of the wires from the spade connector going to the mirror assembly on the right side. I reinserted and crimped the wire but it was still a bit loose, so I also taped it. Probably should have just stripped the wires and used a small wire nut.

Came home from a meeting this evening and the light on that side was dark. The bike was out in a hard rain, but the light quit working on the way home, was fine initially. Interestingly enough when I got home and into the garage I noticed that the strip was lit but very, very faint.

My first thought was just the loose connection, but if that was the case, why would it be lit but faint. I'm not familiar enough with LED's to know it that's telling me something. I'll get into it in the morning, but have any of you ever had a failure like this with an LED strip? I'll let you know what I find.

Bob
    I would suggest you get in touch with Spyderpops. Harvey is pretty responsive and good to work with. He may have some ideas.

Spyder Garage

It is very possible that one of the wires is barely connecting, or not at all...or possibly shorting due to water intrusion.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Pulled the mirror and it was simply the loose connection.

Because these are run AND turn signal there are actually 2 connections, one for power connected in off the fog light and the second for the turn signal itself. What threw me was there was a faint glow from the strip.

Bob
    Old Crow

1960 Vespa 150
    1965 Bridgestone 175
    2010 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad

Spyder Garage

thought lamont made the longhorn led.?
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    thought lamont made the longhorn led.?
    Its actually made by Wiredux I think and sold by Spyderpops and Lamont and others. Could be wrong.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Tech Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    Pulled the mirror and it was simply the loose connection.

Because these are run AND turn signal there are actually 2 connections, one for power connected in off the fog light and the second for the turn signal itself. What threw me was there was a faint glow from the strip.

Bob
    LED's are run by current (amperage) not voltage, say about 20mA. A bad connection adds resistance and the current drops, making them dimmer. If you notice next to each LED is a resistor to set the current. The resistor value is based on a 12V supply, so that bad connection drops the 12V to say 2-3V you will only see a very dim LED!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    The resistor value is based on a 12V supply, so that bad connection drops the 12V to say 2-3V you will only see a very dim LED!
    Thanks for the explanation.

Bob
    Old Crow

1960 Vespa 150
    1965 Bridgestone 175
    2010 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad