Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    My friend reports that the dealer has ordered a "parking brake motor" to fix his.

I don't remember seeing that part in the discussions here; maybe I overlooked it.
    My repair ticket says "Replaced Gear Motor" -- same thing as parking brake motor maybe ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    My repair ticket says "Replaced Gear Motor" -- same thing as parking brake motor maybe ?
    I would think so......because it engages a pin into the parking gear.......right ??

Spyder Garage

Default Parking break froze up today

Guys,
    I having the parking brake issue with my 2016 RT Limited! Rode about 150 miles today, put brake on at Restaurant , one gas station, everything ok! Stop with one of our rider friend for him to get gas, and we parked off to the side, and got off Spyder to rest a minute. When we got back on it, parking brake would not release, turn it off and on several times with no luck! Finally sent one of our friend to buy me a set of metric wrenches. Cost me $15.00 so I could have a 12 mm wrench! Took parking brake cable loose at rear wheel, and finally rode it home with red parking light solid red! Try to call 2 Spyder dealers with no luck, so finally just loosened set nuts on cable at rear wheel and slip it out of slot to releaser pressure! Regular brakes works, so I could ride it, but no parking unless you use a rock around the wheels! Will try to get a dealer somewhere to order a brake switch from what I am reading on this site! It has hung up before, but always released when you turned off engine and let it set for a few minutes, but not today!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Will try to get a dealer somewhere to order a brake switch from what I am reading on this site! I
    I think a lot more permanent fixes have been to replace the parking brake "motor" or solenoid; sometimes on the second attempt after replacing the switch. One of my riding buddies just had that done last week.

Maybe you should ask a dealer to determine which part is really bad ??

Spyder Garage

Default parking brake won't release

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    I doubt BRP is going to give the dealer a hard time about a brake switch replacement. The cost of the switch is $16.00 and a few minutes of labor. Even though I have a new switch replaced under warranty, I have ordered a spare switch to throw in my tool bag should I have troubles while traveling.

Gunner

How difficult is it to replace the switch....? thanks, Smoky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DonTheDude View Post
    I believe the carrot works better than the stick but sometimes you gotta make a threat. Tell the dealer you are going to sue him and put him out of business if your Spyder locks up on you while your on the road. Tell them you will sue Can Am and put them out of the Spyder business (sorry Spyder lovers) if they don't fix the problem and you are in an accident. Maybe that will get someone to do something.

I'm concerned someone is going to get hurt if the brake locks up going down the interstate. Can Am needs to address this since multiple Spyders are having this issue.
    Empty threats are counterproductive.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Mee Toooo

I am having the same issue and I have an 2018 Rt Limited. It locked up finally got a hold of mechanic that told me to release the cable from the back brake assembly. It rode fine as I drove 2 hours to the shop. Low and behold he could not get it to replicate the problem again. So I was on my way and at the time it only had 400 miles on it. Guess what happened again today and it only has 600+/_ miles now. I released the cable and drove it home. They want me to leave it with them so they can look in to it. I can release the brake now and it release and it will also lock but at times the light still flashes. Anyone have any ideas please?
    I am new on here so please bear with me if I put this post in wrong place.
    Thank you
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Me too I had this happen to me at the gas station, I finally got it to release and drove home with the brake light flashing. Parked the bike and it the brake would engage but the beeping would not stop, it beeped for 30 mins or so. Then stopped, started the bike disengaged the brake and off we went that was about a month ago and have not had another issue.

I do find it quite odd we had the same thing happen, I have a 2016 RT I only have a little over 700 miles on it, I think this happened about with about 400 miles on the clock.

Spyder Garage

Default Daddyray ....

Scroll down to post #43 on the link below

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-lock-up/page2

Hope this helps you. :-)

Spyder Garage

Default parking brake won't release

Good idea -- I might do the same. Maybe order two and replace the (suspect) one myself, even though I'm still carrying an extended warranty -- quicker.

How difficult is it to replace switch...? thanks, smoky

Spyder Garage

---- anyone have this happen without depressing the park switch ??

We did recently in Idaho while on the road. !!

Pulled up to gas pump and stopped normally with foot brake, went to apply parking brake but didn't need to -- it applied itself and "park light" was on !! Hmmmmm

Gassed up anyway and pressed parking switch to release brake --- NOPE -- light and brakes stay ON !!
    Frantically pressed brake switch numerous times to no avail.

Soooo --- stuck at gas pump so turned off ignition -- now what ?
    In the time it took me to realize I had no clue what to do (maybe 15 minutes), the brakes released but the red blinking light stayed on ?

Rode away OK but with brake light still on, stopping every couple of miles to see if i was burning up brake pads

But one cannot ride all day like that huh ?
    SPYDERCODES to the rescue -- Rexburg Powersports in ID only 2 miles away -- yay !!

Made a phone call and was told to "ride on over and we'll check the bike out" -- cool

Young Tech, Austin, plugged in the laptop and saw (to the best of my memory) two events stored as faults --

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release
    He had no explanation as to why but he cleared the codes. NO CHARGE - big props to Austin and Rexburg Powersports in Idaho

Took me the rest of the day to accept that the brakes were now good . We were into our 3rd week on the road and didn't need that hanging over our heads !!

Any thoughts guys ?
    I had brake problem--- see quoted original entry below... the fix was to remove cable at rear wheel, reinstall exactly to the thread where it was... all worked for few weeks then same thing. removed cable at rear wheel again.. reinstall---just a hair looser, no problems for 5 weeks and 1200 miles... this is not a fix really, but the problem has not come back as of yet... seemed like the cable was so tight the motor and front cable tensioner wheel by your right knee under the plastic was unable to disengage... like when you park on a hill and your auto trans car is hard to get out of park because the weight of the car is on the parking "pin"... that is just a theory... no fault codes ever showed up. and i am riding on island of Oahu, which is 80-97 degrees now and a mix of freeway, city and coastal 35mph driving (my fav).

so--- what can be causing this issue....mmmm.. ????

2016 RT-S Parking brake will not disengage

Hello All,

Parking Brake will not release…

2016 RT-S with 2000 miles, parking brake has worked fine up to this point, park trike—engage—walk away. Upon start up, will not release when pressing rocker button. Brake lite flashes on dash showing engaged upon start up, when pressing switch to release, flashing dash brake lite stays on steady, brake will not disengage. Shut down engine, parking brake lite stays solid lit—no flash and beeps for 20 seconds, as if brake has not been set.

Have checked fuses—looks good, disconnected battery-reconnect – same problem.

Any thoughts and advise greatly appreciated…THANK YOU,
    JOE

Added on for clarity…

Checked brake reservoir --- level is perfect
    Checked locking nuts on back wheel brake assembly--- they are as the factory set

Spyder Garage

Default Multiple parking brake issues

I have a brand new 2017 RT Limited, which I purchased the end of January 2018. I had an intermittent parking brake issue where it would not engage so I had to carry a block to put behind my wheel when it wouldn't engage. The dealer had a hard time getting it to duplicate and the Buds file they were sending to BRP after they opened up a case file kept coming up empty. The apparently found something loose in the wiring harness and the buds file finally came up showing what happened. My bike has been at the dealer's since April 5th and still isn't fixed. They replaced the parking brake motor and switch and it was supposedly fixed but when I went to pick it up (in May!) the brand new parking brake motor wouldn't disengage!! The bike ended up staying there but I must say that the dealer felt so bad that they gave me a loaner for the trip I was taking the next day (4 days in the NC mountains doing the twisties). That was nice of them, especially since they weren't even the dealer I purchased my bike from!! Anyway, BRP had them order a new parking brake motor, switch, and sensor. The put that in and the problem still hasn't been resolved. As of today, July 5th, BRP had them order Windshield/Parking Brake Module, which was ordered today and is supposed to be overnighted by BRP so they should have it tomorrow. Hopefully that will finally fix my problem because my bike has been at the dealer longer than I've had it in my garage. I should add that I had emailed BRP early on when I first started having problems and the dealer had it for a week without getting the problem to duplicate and I took it on a short overnight trip and then brought it back to them. Contacting BRP in the beginning didn't seem to help speed things up (I contacted them to help the dealer out because they didn't feel they were being helped). Just recently I went on the FB page for Can-Am and posted a message about my dissatisfaction and I was asked to email them again, which I did. I got a call from BRP today and the customer service rep I talked to updated me on the part order and said he'd be watching when the part got there and would keep me updated. So I have a different rep checking things out and he seems much more into making sure it gets done so I won't be upset with BRP. I hope this getsmy issue resolved for good!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SC Spyder Girl View Post
    I hope this gets my issue resolved for good!!
    Thank you.

I admire folks who take the time to share the details of their unfortunate experiences so that others might benefit.

Posts in places like this are MUCH easier to read if you put in a little white space.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Thank you.

I admire folks who take the time to share the details of their unfortunate experiences so that others might benefit.

Posts in places like this are MUCH easier to read if you put in a little white space.

Thanks for the heads up about white space. I didn't even realize what my post would look like since it was my first one but I will definitely

keep that in mind if I post again. As an update, I got a call that my windshield/parking brake module is in (BRP did in fact overnight it) so the

technician will be working on it as of tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Default New Wrinkle - 16 F3T with same PO571 and P1571 Codes as KayRog had on his 15RT

But everyone refers to the parking brake switch but which one. On the RT there is a dash switch by itself on the console, but also a switch on the motor pulley that indicates when

the pulley rotates to "Taut" or SET position, by a cam hitting a metal finger switch that tells the dash light to light and also activate beeping noise if not released. On our 16 F3T, the

operator switch is on the left handlebar cluster and the dealer says the whole bar end switch cluster needs to be replaced. Is that actually the switch the PO571 Switch Fault Code is

referring to?? The P1571 supposedly refers to a "Deactivation Fault" with WPM thrown in? hhhmmmmm....

My wifes bike has had the BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, go on and on, but she never had the parking brake set and not release. Codes are the same and looks

like the RTs and F3 both have the same parking brake motor, with a locator switch attached. First fault last Sept in Utah at Red Rocks...dealer cleared codes and all good til today when the Gremlin reared its head again//// I rode the bike to local dealer, and he again cleared the same codes, but no other ideas or parts in stock...hmmm.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Mee Toooo

I have an update on my problems. I am new here and learning how to post and repost with helpful info so please bare with me. Downshifting problems

I had the same problems with my SE6 not wanting to downshift or go into reverse. I was also having problems with my brake not releasing when I wanted to go some where. I finally got it to the shop and they could not replicate the problem. This was the second time with the brake not releasing.Neither time the shop couldn't replicate the problem. They got in touch with Can Am and was able to replace my reverse switch which I believe also replaced my brake switch at sometime. They had a call from CanAm and was told to order the brake motor also as CanAm new of some problems with it also. I just got it back and it shifts smoother than it did. I only have 15 miles on it since I got it back but am hopeful of not having anymore problems. By the way I only have 600 +/- miles on my new 2018 SE6 and had these problems. I am new to the threads here and I hope I can help with my problems and hope they are corrected.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake release for driving

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyray View Post
    I have an update on my problems. I am new here and learning how to post and repost with helpful info so please bare with me. Downshifting problems

I had the same problems with my SE6 not wanting to downshift or go into reverse. I was also having problems with my brake not releasing when I wanted to go some where. I finally got it to the shop and they could not replicate the problem. This was the second time with the brake not releasing.Neither time the shop couldn't replicate the problem. They got in touch with Can Am and was able to replace my reverse switch which I believe also replaced my brake switch at sometime. They had a call from CanAm and was told to order the brake motor also as CanAm new of some problems with it also. I just got it back and it shifts smoother than it did. I only have 15 miles on it since I got it back but am hopeful of not having anymore problems. By the way I only have 600 +/- miles on my new 2018 SE6 and had these problems. I am new to the threads here and I hope I can help with my problems and hope they are corrected.

How to release brake

I have a 2018 Rt Limited but this should work for you I believe.
    Go to the brake cable at the back tire. Release the cable and slide it out of the U shaped metal holding area for the cable. and just lay the cable on top of the cable holder you just took it out of. The cable should still be hooked up to the arm that controls the actual brake pads. I was able to release my brake and ride it after doing this. I was also able to engage the parking brake with the cable still on top of the cable receiver. I ended up having the shop work on it and they called Can Am and replaced the front brake gear . I hope this helps. I had this problem and mine is still new.

Thank you,
    Ray B.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts

Spyder Garage

Default Brake won't release

I had 14,000 mi. And the brake light wouldn't release and when it did release red light was solid. Road it to dealership, they couldn't replicate problem sent me home.
    Yesterday, on hill in SD brake won't release. Note to self don't park on a hill again. Finally disengaged light solid red so I rode to a spot with no people. Turned engine off and let it beep itself to death. Started it up all's well. About 21,000 miles on a 2016 RTS.

Spyder Garage

Default Problems

Wow, I am looking at getting a spyder but after read many post and all the problems being encounter am beging to rethink getting into one.
    Joe
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Same story different verse

So in March I had my bike in for normal service and the dealer told me that there was a recall on my parking brake and they needed to wait on the part. I had a ride coming up and needed my bike back, but they don't me they couldn't release my bike since I had a parking brake recall, which I hadn't had an issues with at this time. So they replaced the park in March and I'm getting ready to go on a trip from MD to AZ and wanted my regular dealer to take care of somethings before I left and when they arrived to pick up my bike the parking brake wouldn't disenage even though my brother had just pulled it out of the garage with no problem. The dealership called to tell me that there wasn't a recall on the parking brake, but if customers complained that BRP would replace the motor at no cost. I imformed him what I was told and that I wasn't having a problem then but I am now and he is waiting on BRP to get back to him to see if they will replace the same part again at no cost to me. The problem is I leave on my trip on Saturday and it was Wednesday when he was waiting on BRP to get back to him and plus he still needed to order the part. I don't know if I will be able to make the yearly trip this coming weekend or not and I scared that the motor, or whatever might go out again on my 10 day cross country trip.

The point is I was told BRP know there is a problem and if the customer complains they would replace it. I hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Wow, I am looking at getting a spyder but after read many post and all the problems being encounter am beging to rethink getting into one.
    Joe
    I have the same thought.Maybe i should stick to my Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_from_ny View Post
    I have the same thought.Maybe i should stick to my Goldwing
    Just bear in mind that MANY of the posters on Forums only come to said Forums like this to find out how to fix the problems they are having or to vent about how their machine isn't doing what they expected, some even spam every dedicated Forum they can find in an attempt to gather a mob together to go & burn a dealer or manufacturer at the stake.... but there are literally TENS of THOUSANDS of reasonably happy Spyder owners out there who ride their Spyders heaps without ever encoutering most of these issues, IF they have any at all!!

There are over 100,000 Spyders that've been sold now, more than 27,000 members here, and you see what, maybe a max of 5 threads here talking about this particular problem, and most of the posters in those threads who actually HAVE the issue have posted multiple times, so probably the percentage of Spyder Owners out there who are busy ryding happily is somewhere in the high 90's! And Statisticians/researchers have known for years that if you are happy with something, you MIGHT tell maybe 2 people, but if you AREN'T happy with something, you'll tell at least 15 people - only in this day of easy access to mass & social media, that 15 is probably more likely to be 15 thousand, maybe even million!!

Sooo, if you are only ever going to buy something that's not actively being bagged somewhere on the internet, you'll probably NEVER buy ANYTHING ever again!! Check out the Goldwing Forums, in my recent 'thorough cursory glances', the bulk of what I got to see was people whinging & complaining about the problems they had & how bad they were being treated by Honda, but I know from experience that most riders think Honda's & Wings in particular are pretty good & fairly reliable machines from a fairly responsive manufacturer - but I certainly wouldn't think that from my recent readings of all the Honda/Wing Forums! So those Forums seem to do much the same as this one?!?

I'm really not trying to belittle or ignore those who are having this or any other problem with their Spyders, there are definitely some with real problems out there & obviously many with issues that BRP aren't addressing properly, but overall, the percentage is pretty small, so I'm just trying to point out that MOST of us don't have this or any other problem & the bulk of us are usually out there happily racking up the relatively pain free miles with grins a mile wide on our faces, just like most Honda Goldwing riders are, & the Kawasaki or Suzuki riders, Guzzi riders, Victory riders, etc etc etc..... not too sure about the Harley riders tho, they are probably out there in the dark still picking up the pieces!

The point is, don't buy trouble before you've even bought a Spyder, do what most of us do - Buy the Damn thing, then RIDE MORE & WORRY LESS!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2018 at 03:57 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_from_ny View Post
    Maybe i should stick to my Goldwing
    You should be able to convert a stock wing to 3 wheels for about half the price of a new Spyder.
    If it is in good condition, that might be a viable option.

Spyder Garage

Default I got the beep beep

My dash brake indicator stay on and flashed light with a beep beep but after turning ignition off and restarted it went back to normal. What I found was to not undo the break until the engine was started doing it out of sequence meaning in doing the brake first then going through the start up seem to be causing the problem. I think doing it out of sequence didn’t give the computer time.since releasing the break last I haven’t had an issue

Spyder Garage

Default Voltage??

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    My dash brake indicator stay on and flashed light with a beep beep but after turning ignition off and restarted it went back to normal. What I found was to not undo the break until the engine was started doing it out of sequence meaning in doing the brake first then going through the start up seem to be causing the problem. I think doing it out of sequence didn’t give the computer time.since releasing the break last I haven’t had an issue

I haven't had this problem but when I read the post I immediately thought 'Voltage Problem'. This might be the sign of a aging weakening battery. IMHO

Spyder Garage

Default Started bike out of sequence, parking brake locked...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I have a 2018 RT Limited with about 2000 miles. Last night my parking brake wouldn't release. This is the first time this has happened to me. I know that I started the bike out of sequence. I stabbed for the Mode button and hit Park instead and when I found the brake locked on I wondered if that might be what caused it. In my case, though, I couldn't just restart, I had to leave it off for a while (30 mins) before the problem cleared itself. I've restarted and moved the bike several times since then and the parking brake works perfectly. Even though all seems OK, she's going to the dealer Tuesday to be checked over.
    2018 Spyder RT LTD Pearl White Dark