Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ten of us so far ..

... that I'm counting with this same problem. Just sayin'

what this really means.

I still have to get mine to the dealer and see if the problem can be replicated.

Spyder Garage

FYI...for everyone on my parking brake issue. Talked with my Dealers BRP tech today. He stated he has been in contact with BRP Tech's about this issue. They stated they believe the issue is with the electric instrument cluster, said everything works thru that cluster before going anywhere. They are shipping a new cluster for my Spyder. Dealer said most likely 7 to 10 days is what it's been running to get parts from BRP. I know this for a fact from the last two times they ordered parts from BRP, always at least a week to get them in. Terrible customer support from BRP for their product, no reason it shouldn't be here in three days. So Spyder been in shop from July 13th until who knows when for sure, but looks like another 30 days for a repair.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
    FYI...for everyone on my parking brake issue. Talked with my Dealers BRP tech today. He stated he has been in contact with BRP Tech's about this issue. They stated they believe the issue is with the electric instrument cluster, said everything works thru that cluster before going anywhere. They are shipping a new cluster for my Spyder. Dealer said most likely 7 to 10 days is what it's been running to get parts from BRP. I know this for a fact from the last two times they ordered parts from BRP, always at least a week to get them in. Terrible customer support from BRP for their product, no reason it shouldn't be here in three days. So Spyder been in shop from July 13th until who knows when for sure, but looks like another 30 days for a repair.
    Question --- first thing that popped into my head when you mentioned the instrument cluster -- do you have the magic mirror mounts installed ?

Not intending a heated debate here - just interested to know. A logical step in a trouble shooting process I thought.
    I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with my Magic mounts !
    Last edited by HayRog; 08-02-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

No Sir, I do not have those mirror mounts, stock mounts.

Spyder Garage

I have a 15 rtl and have not had this problem, but I have a question for those that have. Have any of you tried to raise or lower the windshield WHILE the parking brake problem is occurring? There is one post here about a dealer replacing the parking brake switch and the windshield motor, but no one mentions trying a new WPM module, which controls them both. If the WPM module was faulty, it probably would involve the drive motors for the windshield AND the parking brake.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

The first time I had the parking brake issue, the dealer replaced the parking brake control switch and motor. My windshield has always working with no problem. This go around, not only did my parking brake act up again by not releasing or hanging up, but I also have other electrical issues going on. When turning off ignition switch off sometimes light would flash, radio would stay on and such. After talking with a BRP Tech about these issues that's why they are replacing that module to see if it corrects all the electrical problems.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
    The first time I had the parking brake issue, the dealer replaced the parking brake control switch and motor. My windshield has always working with no problem. This go around, not only did my parking brake act up again by not releasing or hanging up, but I also have other electrical issues going on. When turning off ignition switch off sometimes light would flash, radio would stay on and such. After talking with a BRP Tech about these issues that's why they are replacing that module to see if it corrects all the electrical problems.
    We had a similar problem with our RT. My wife was ryding and came to a stop light. When she was ready to go the parking brake engaged and she could not get it to release. We took the key out and walked away and it reset with no further issue. Happened up in the foothills when we stopped for a break. As luck would have it we were on our way to a dealer where we were going to lead BRP demo rydes and get the oil changed at the same time. No we were also getting an Orange screen saying Brake Failure! They hooked it up to BUDS, and turns we were low on Brake fluid. They refreshed that and we have had no problems since! Go figure!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Now we were also getting an Orange screen saying Brake Failure! They hooked it up to BUDS, and turns we were low on Brake fluid. They refreshed that and we have had no problems since! Go figure!
    Wow !! if that's really a fix I'd be happy

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure they are the same issue....but check the Brake Fluid!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Not sure they are the same issue....but check the Brake Fluid!
    Done -- looks OK.

Spyder Garage

Well, been two weeks that the parts have been on order and still no sign of them as of yet. The Spyder went into the dealer back on July13th. Took the dealer two weeks to figure out what and where the electrical issues and what was causing them, with the help of a BRP tech. I can understand the two weeks with the problem at the dealer because its hard to duplicate the issues. But two weeks and no parts yet. That is some of the worst dealer support and customer service from BRP.

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake issues

[QUOTE=HayRog;1276002]---- anyone have this happen without depressing the park switch ??

We did recently in Idaho while on the road. !!

Pulled up to gas pump and stopped normally with foot brake, went to apply parking brake but didn't need to -- it applied itself and "park light" was on !! Hmmmmm

Gassed up anyway and pressed parking switch to release brake --- NOPE -- light and brakes stay ON !!
    Frantically pressed brake switch numerous times to no avail.

Soooo --- stuck at gas pump so turned off ignition -- now what ?
    In the time it took me to realize I had no clue what to do (maybe 15 minutes), the brakes released but the red blinking light stayed on ?

Rode away OK but with brake light still on, stopping every couple of miles to see if i was burning up brake pads

But one cannot ride all day like that huh ?
    SPYDERCODES to the rescue -- Rexburg Powersports in ID only 2 miles away -- yay !!

Made a phone call and was told to "ride on over and we'll check the bike out" -- cool

Young Tech, Austin, plugged in the laptop and saw (to the best of my memory) two events stored as faults --

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release
    He had no explanation as to why but he cleared the codes. NO CHARGE - big props to Austin and Rexburg Powersports in Idaho

Took me the rest of the day to accept that the brakes were now good . We were into our 3rd week on the road and didn't need that hanging over our heads !!

Any thoughts guys

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake issues

[QUOTE=DesertRider;1292790]
    Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    ---- anyone have this happen without depressing the park switch ??

Pulled up to gas pump and stopped normally with foot brake, went to apply parking brake but didn't need to -- it applied itself and "park light" was on !! Hmmmmm

Gassed up anyway and pressed parking switch to release brake --- NOPE -- light and brakes stay ON !!

In the time it took me to realize I had no clue what to do (maybe 15 minutes), the brakes released but the red blinking light stayed on ?

Rode away OK but with brake light still on, stopping every couple of miles to see if i was burning up brake pads

SPYDERCODES to the rescue -- Rexburg Powersports in ID only 2 miles away -- yay !!

Made a phone call and was told to "ride on over and we'll check the bike out" -- cool

Young Tech, Austin, plugged in the laptop and saw (to the best of my memory) two events stored as faults --

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release
    He had no explanation as to why but he cleared the codes. NO CHARGE - big props to Austin and Rexburg Powersports in Idaho

Took me the rest of the day to accept that the brakes were now good . We were into our 3rd week on the road and didn't need that hanging over our heads !!

Any thoughts guys
    I have a 17 RT Ltd and I got out to ride today. The parking brake would not disengage. I turned off the bike, let it set a minute and tried again and it came off, I went for a mile or two ride, came home and set the brake, but it wouldn't set.......Parking Brake Failure I thought. I turned it off and the beeping started, so started it up again and everything worked fine. I rode for the day and had no more issues. I have made an appointment at the dealer just to have it hooked up to the laptop and see what happened.

Spyder Garage

Default WPM Module

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I have a 15 rtl and have not had this problem, but I have a question for those that have. Have any of you tried to raise or lower the windshield WHILE the parking brake problem is occurring? There is one post here about a dealer replacing the parking brake switch and the windshield motor, but no one mentions trying a new WPM module, which controls them both. If the WPM module was faulty, it probably would involve the drive motors for the windshield AND the parking brake.
    Jetfixer,
    Good call! My wife's '15 RTS-S had a similar problem as the others a year ago, but the parking brake wouldn't release after ANY period of time, and the windscreen did NOT function as well. The first thing I tried was to check the fuse - it was blown. Replaced it, turned the key on, and it blew instantly. I disconnected the parking brake cable so she could take it to the dealer (remember to use wheel chocks if you do this, as it will roll on the slightest grade!). All this happened a week before we were leaving on a 4.ooo mile trip to the Canadian Rockies! Anyway, the dealer diagnosed it as the WPM module, and it only took 3 days to get it from BRP, fixed it in a day, and got the bike back 2 days before leaving. That was last August, and it hasn't been a problem since. So good on BRP and the dealer for this one!

-Stoney
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Silver Platinum Satin / Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

---- anyone have this happen without depressing the park switch ??

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release

Any thoughts guys ?
    Seems to be several of us on here with the parking brake issues. According to BRP, they have had no complaints. Well I have had two incidents and the Tech at the dealer can verify each time and date of default. Very aggravating, but it's an issue that takes more than just clearing the codes. This problem needs to be addressed by BRP and fixed.

Spyder Garage

Well, happened again parking brake wouldn't release. This time on the road in Oregon.

This time though I didn't panic, even though I was at a gas pump -- again !!

Sat there and let it beep at me for 90 seconds until the brake released, but, the light remained blinking. Blinking stopped 30 seconds later and the rest of the trip was uneventful.

Dealer visit time asap.

BTW -- 90 seconds feels like 9 minutes when there's a car behind you

Spyder Garage

Default Bike in shop ..

.. trouble ticket opened with BRP, WPM module on order and awaiting repairs. Gonna be a long week as the weather right now is prime for riding !

Really -- ANY weather is riding weather

Spyder Garage

Default Bike back home ---

--- 2 weeks later.
    Trouble ticket says -- 1) replaced gear motor, 2) replaced parking brake module.

P0571, P1571, HBS switch fault and HBS switch deactivation fault respectively.
    Good continuity between pin 1 & 3, closed and open. Good continuity between grn/wh wire and cluster.

Hope this may be of help to any on the forum.

Dealer tech wasn't able to duplicate the fault but a case # was created anyway.

Good on ya E.G. Power Sports

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake light comes on - brakes lock up ---

Sounds like a BRP issue that they don't care to address. Once I get my 2015 RT Ltd (under warranty) back from the dealer, I'm getting rid of it. The dealer has it over a week and have not received permission to order the part from BRP (so they say). I cannot own or ride a bike that may lock up when I'm out late or out of town.

Spyder Garage

Give it a chance Marc, let the dealer fix the issue. Be a shame to rid yourself of a $20,000 + bike over a switch and module problem.

Took my dealer 2 weeks to fix mine and I've had no problem since.

Spyder Garage

Default same with a twist

I've been reading this blog as I have sorta of the same issue. I've set codes for abs and vss failures twice, first time I added brake fluid and was on the way to the dealer and it cleared the codes its self but had the dealer hook it up, he cleared the codes. after a few rides set the codes again, of course it's in limp mode both times, dealer is less than a mile so back I go, they are keeping it this time, the point here is when he got ready to pull into the shop the brake wouldn't release. guess I'll find out everything once get past the holidays

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
    I've been reading this blog as I have sorta of the same issue. I've set codes for abs and vss failures twice, first time I added brake fluid and was on the way to the dealer and it cleared the codes its self but had the dealer hook it up, he cleared the codes. after a few rides set the codes again, of course it's in limp mode both times, dealer is less than a mile so back I go, they are keeping it this time, the point here is when he got ready to pull into the shop the brake wouldn't release. guess I'll find out everything once get past the holidays
    On the plus side, the dealer encountered the problem. Hope it gets sorted for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the plus side, the dealer encountered the problem. Hope it gets sorted for you.
    Old thread I know......but this seems to be an ongoing problem.
    A friend in my riding group just had his parking brake lock up on him yesterday; RT.

I did notice in this thread a couple of mentions of "other" electrical problems along with the brake.
    Has anybody checked their battery voltage when the brake is stuck ON.......or tried a jump to see if it would clear up ??

There was one owner who seemed to solve the problem by tightening the battery connections.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Yep, this would get a laugh out of them alright, but I bet it wouldn't get anymore help for your situation. Multi Billion dollar company with a fleet of attorneys on staff I am sure shakes in their boots with these kind of threats.
    It might convince the Feds to issue a recall for this SAFETY issue though and that could be much more expensive than the threat of a law suit.

This is an excellent example of over-engineering. A simple manual parking brake cable would prevent this event.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My friend reports that the dealer has ordered a "parking brake motor" to fix his.

I don't remember seeing that part in the discussions here; maybe I overlooked it.