Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake light comes on - brakes lock up --- UPDATE

---- anyone have this happen without depressing the park switch ??

We did recently in Idaho while on the road. !!

Pulled up to gas pump and stopped normally with foot brake, went to apply parking brake but didn't need to -- it applied itself and "park light" was on !! Hmmmmm

Gassed up anyway and pressed parking switch to release brake --- NOPE -- light and brakes stay ON !!
    Frantically pressed brake switch numerous times to no avail.

Soooo --- stuck at gas pump so turned off ignition -- now what ?
    In the time it took me to realize I had no clue what to do (maybe 15 minutes), the brakes released but the red blinking light stayed on ?

Rode away OK but with brake light still on, stopping every couple of miles to see if i was burning up brake pads

But one cannot ride all day like that huh ?
    SPYDERCODES to the rescue -- Rexburg Powersports in ID only 2 miles away -- yay !!

Made a phone call and was told to "ride on over and we'll check the bike out" -- cool

Young Tech, Austin, plugged in the laptop and saw (to the best of my memory) two events stored as faults --

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release
    He had no explanation as to why but he cleared the codes. NO CHARGE - big props to Austin and Rexburg Powersports in Idaho

Took me the rest of the day to accept that the brakes were now good . We were into our 3rd week on the road and didn't need that hanging over our heads !!

Any thoughts guys ?
    Last edited by HayRog; 10-18-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice....

Good to hear a story with a happy and speedy ending. Glad Rogers app came in handy and all ended well.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

Me too I had this happen to me at the gas station, I finally got it to release and drove home with the brake light flashing. Parked the bike and it the brake would engage but the beeping would not stop, it beeped for 30 mins or so. Then stopped, started the bike disengaged the brake and off we went that was about a month ago and have not had another issue.

I do find it quite odd we had the same thing happen, I have a 2016 RT I only have a little over 700 miles on it, I think this happened about with about 400 miles on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post

Pulled up to gas pump and stopped normally with foot brake, went to apply parking brake but didn't need to -- it applied itself and "park light" was on !! Hmmmmm

Gassed up anyway and pressed parking switch to release brake --- NOPE -- light and brakes stay ON !!

In the time it took me to realize I had no clue what to do (maybe 15 minutes), the brakes released but the red blinking light stayed on ?

Rode away OK but with brake light still on, stopping every couple of miles to see if i was burning up brake pads

SPYDERCODES to the rescue -- Rexburg Powersports in ID only 2 miles away -- yay !!

Made a phone call and was told to "ride on over and we'll check the bike out" -- cool

Young Tech, Austin, plugged in the laptop and saw (to the best of my memory) two events stored as faults --

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release
    He had no explanation as to why but he cleared the codes. NO CHARGE - big props to Austin and Rexburg Powersports in Idaho

Took me the rest of the day to accept that the brakes were now good . We were into our 3rd week on the road and didn't need that hanging over our heads !!

Any thoughts guys ?

Spyder Garage

I had this very thing happen to me 6-8 months ago on my 2015 RT. It went away, but then returned and I could not get it to resolve.

Dealer had to replace my switch, and it has not happened since.

New switch feels like it engages a lot better. I think my original slowly weakened over time and was shorted out. Or, possibly dirty.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I had this very thing happen to me 6-8 months ago on my 2015 RT. It went away, but then returned and I could not get it to resolve.

Dealer had to replace my switch, and it has not happened since.

New switch feels like it engages a lot better. I think my original slowly weakened over time and was shorted out. Or, possibly dirty.

Sooo -- not just me then but not a common occurrence.
    The tech at the dealership did take the switch out of the cluster and look at it. It was dusty but all the contacts looked ok and there was no loss of grease/dialectric stuff or any corrosion.
    Guess I wait till it happens again.
    Maybe walk away and have a coffee and let it "think about itself"

Spyder Garage

Default Happening to me intermittently

This has been happening to me for about a month. My dealer hasn't been able to repeat the failure to release. I'm about ready to force him to replace every component in the electric parking brake system.

Spyder Garage

Default Tell them you will sue them

Sooo -- not just me then but not a common occurrence.
    The tech at the dealership did take the switch out of the cluster and look at it. It was dusty but all the contacts looked ok and there was no loss of grease/dialectric stuff or any corrosion.
    Guess I wait till it happens again.
    Maybe walk away and have a coffee and let it "think about itself"
    I believe the carrot works better than the stick but sometimes you gotta make a threat. Tell the dealer you are going to sue him and put him out of business if your Spyder locks up on you while your on the road. Tell them you will sue Can Am and put them out of the Spyder business (sorry Spyder lovers) if they don't fix the problem and you are in an accident. Maybe that will get someone to do something.

I'm concerned someone is going to get hurt if the brake locks up going down the interstate. Can Am needs to address this since multiple Spyders are having this issue.

Spyder Garage

According to the owners manual, the parking brake cannot be activated if the vehicle speed is above 6 mph. This would include having a faulty switch.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release

Any thoughts guys ?
    I mentioned this before, I was having the intermittent parking brake lock up and then it completely locked up. I manually released the cable and took it to the dealer. They could not replicate the problem at the dealer but knew that I obviously was having issues. They replaced the parking brake switch and since that replacement, I have not had any further parking brake issues. I have seen others write how their parking brake issues went away with a new switch.

Gunner

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    According to the owners manual, the parking brake cannot be activated if the vehicle speed is above 6 mph. This would include having a faulty switch.
    I have accidentally bumped mine while driving about 25 and it did not engage.
    So if it is a faulty switch and it does kick kick in while driving, the safety of not engaging above 6 MPH would keep it from engaging. Might come to a sudden stop when you are slowing down for an exit ramp and get below 6 MPH though.

"Tell them you will sue Can Am and put them out of the Spyder business (sorry Spyder lovers) if they don't fix the problem and you are in an accident. Maybe that will get someone to do something."

Yep, this would get a laugh out of them alright, but I bet it wouldn't get anymore help for your situation. Multi Billion dollar company with a fleet of attorneys on staff I am sure shakes in their boots with these kind of threats.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Brake switch

I'm taking mine in again today. I'll mention replacing the brake switch. That was my first suspicion a month ago. I'm doubtful though because when it does lockup, I can use the switch and the parking light changes from solid to flashing. The system is detecting the press of the switch. Plus, it never fails to engage the brake. Seems like it would if it was the switch.

Ive got a 4 week trip planned for out west in Sept. I need to be able to rely on it and get it fixed soon.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the above posts ....

.... Home about 3 weeks now and so much to catch up on I completely forgot I even experienced this issue !!

I'll give my dealer a call and see what they say.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DonTheDude View Post
    I believe the carrot works better than the stick but sometimes you gotta make a threat. Tell the dealer you are going to sue him and put him out of business if your Spyder locks up on you while your on the road. Tell them you will sue Can Am and put them out of the Spyder business (sorry Spyder lovers) if they don't fix the problem and you are in an accident. Maybe that will get someone to do something.

I'm concerned someone is going to get hurt if the brake locks up going down the interstate. Can Am needs to address this since multiple Spyders are having this issue.
    I can understand your frustration, but you're new here and may not know this:
    The quality of service you get is DIRECTLY dependent on your dealer, NOT BRP.
    And if you want help from BRP, the last, I mean the very LAST thing you want to do is talk about lawyers.

My experience is that BRP is very helpful and will go out of their way to fix your bike, PROVIDED they are approached nicely by a dealer that is respected.

As always, my free unsolicited advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I'm taking mine in again today. I'll mention replacing the brake switch. That was my first suspicion a month ago. I'm doubtful though because when it does lockup, I can use the switch and the parking light changes from solid to flashing. The system is detecting the press of the switch. Plus, it never fails to engage the brake. Seems like it would if it was the switch.

Ive got a 4 week trip planned for out west in Sept. I need to be able to rely on it and get it fixed soon.
    Flashing means the brake is engaged, solid means troubles.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe a weeee bit drastic, don't you think over a switch????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Ok, I'll stop flaming over my frustration.

Update...

Got in contact with a BRP rep and they came up with a plan. The dealer is working with them. Dropped off the Spyder today. They are going to try the switch. I don't think it is the switch because the parking light changes when you press the switch. The system is detecting the push on the switch. Ill post the result of the change.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Flashing means the brake is engaged, solid means troubles.
    When it locks up and I finally do get it to release and I drive it, the light is solid for about an hour. Just happened at the gas station. Took about 50 minutes to clear that one.

Spyder Garage

Had similar problem with parking brake coming on at random times while stopped and or while riding. This followed some work I had done on the bike. I went back and tightened my battery cables with a wrench (not screwdriver). Solved the problem

Spyder Garage

I doubt BRP is going to give the dealer a hard time about a brake switch replacement. The cost of the switch is $16.00 and a few minutes of labor. Even though I have a new switch replaced under warranty, I have ordered a spare switch to throw in my tool bag should I have troubles while traveling.

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    I doubt BRP is going to give the dealer a hard time about a brake switch replacement. The cost of the switch is $16.00 and a few minutes of labor. Even though I have a new switch replaced under warranty, I have ordered a spare switch to throw in my tool bag should I have troubles while traveling.

Gunner
    Good idea -- I might do the same. Maybe order two and replace the (suspect) one myself, even though I'm still carrying an extended warranty -- quicker.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTL parking Brake failure

I am having the same problem with my 2014 RTL. The bike has been in the shop on three occasions for a total of 19 days, all in riding season. My dealer, Reno's Powersports in Kansas City has replaced the switch and the windshield motor twice. This time I made it 70 miles before the brake failed, wouldn't engage and the light stayed on for the duration of my ride. Next morning after it cooled down everything was fine. Love the bike but am becoming very uncomfortable riding it. The first two times they claimed they couldn't make it occur. The third time it happened when the mechanic was showing the service manager everything was okay. If you don't know what is wrong, how do you know it won't cause an accident and/or serious injury. All of my failures have occurred when riding or when the ambient temperature was hot (90 degrees +). To me this is a BRP issue at this point. How do I get their attention.

Spyder Garage

I have had it happen twice now. Last fall was the first time. In shop for around 30 days while dealer tried to figure out the problem. ended up replacing a switch for the brake. The second time was just 3 weeks ago, same issue. currently in shop again being looked at now for 2 weeks and haven't heard anything as of yet. Spyder is a 2016 RT Limited with only 2600 miles on it. Also this time other types of electrical issues along with the parking brake, like 4 way flashers running, radio not turning off when you turn off ignition just to name a few. Also had the starter replaced this spring after it locked up, in the shop for 30 days that time also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have good experienced with BRP and They helped me. Please be on their shoes, no one can do what we want done yesterday. I was patient and it works. Lawyers should be out of conversations otherwise make sure you got money a lot of money for your lawyer. JMOC.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Similar in all aspects

I'm waiting to get back down to south Texas in October to ride my 2015 RT-s se6 again. I'm a Winter Texan so my riding time on the Rt-s is October to May. Last season when I first returned to the Valley, my Rt-s locked-up in the garage and wouldn't release. I went through all the reboots and everything, it was locked up. This Rt-s was new and first put into service 3-7-2016 and only had 3,000 miles on it. The dealer(F&t MS) sent their mechanic out with their trailer, disconnected the brake cable, free wheeled the Rt-s on the trailer and back to the shop it went.

The most aggravating part of the whole issue was the dealer waiting to build his BRP order volume to get free freight. This didn't set well with me, because the Rt-s was my main transportation. Waiting to building a parts order to get free freight set me off. As it turned out the mechanic said the problem was the brake motor and replaced it.
    More then 10 days waiting for a part that BRP should have sent out overnight, is totally uncalled for and shows a gross disrespect for the customer, especially when under factory warranty and such low mileage.

Just before we left to return back home to souther Michigan, the *** electric park brake started to act up again. If the Rt-s is not parked on an exactly level surface the brake will not release.

My Rt-s is awaiting my return, to south Texas. I am quite concerned that it will be laid up again waiting for parts
    that should be available overnight and at no extra cost while under the BRP warranty.

BRP, are you watching these posts, you owe us better service and faster shipping of parts!

Spyder Garage

My dealer just called me last Friday. Still no answers on what the problems are with the parking brake and other electric issues. Down for it's third week and still not resolved. Terrible customer service, and I agree that BRP should be a lot quicker at getting their parts to the dealers. My Rt only has 2700 miles on it.