Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RS SM5 Roadster

Hi, I just bought my first Spyder, a 2016 RS SM5. I am almost 5 foot tall and after riding it for an hour or so I realized the riding position that had me leaning forward and my legs back was making me so uncomfortable that I had to stop. We looked into aftermarket handlebars and the only info we could find was for Spyders up to 2012 or so, nothing on a 2016 RS. Are there bars out there that would interchange so I wouldn't have to reach forward and be able to sit up straighter. Also foot pegs that would allow my legs to be in a better/regular position. I should have done my homework, I found this Spyder and loved the way it looked and bought it. The dealer was eager to make a sale and said I would fit just fine on it etc. Wow, lesson learned I guess. I'm blaming myself not him. Thanks, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Peggy

Spyder Garage

Welcome and congrats! Yes, you can install a handlebar riser which would improve the angle somewhat. However, the RS is, in essence, the sports model and was designed for the rider to lean forward. Despite this design, there are several riders on the forum that routinely tour with the RS model and can provide helpful tips.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your help. Where would I find the risers as I have searched the internet and nothing is available after 2013 it seems.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

To the spyder world. there are bars and risers that should work for you and as for the pegs you can get floorboard that allow you to move your foot to more comfortable positions. Check with out vendor/sponsors on the home page for these items. I believe some have been able to put the RT bars on the RS
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately the seating position on the RS isn't right for everyone. I was fortunate to have found that out before I purchased my first Spyder. Good luck!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I would check with a dealership to be sure but I think that Spyders after 2013 have a similar mount. Therefore, you might be able to mount an ST handlebar or perhaps a Tri axis handlebars onto your RS.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For the handle bar risers I would check with changing out a set of ST or RT bars with someone who has upgraded to tri axel bars. For the feet position i would check into floorboards. I have some for sale that i purchased for my RSS. I will sale for $200. Text me and i will send pictures if interested. 919-649-2433.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RS, SM5

Peggy, welcome and you'll appreciate your choice of conveyance much more if you pick up a set of RT take off bars from a 2013 up to your 2016 model year. The bars on the RS, ST and RT are all interchangeable 2013 and newer. I swapped my bars out and it was one of the nicest changes I've made besides the aftermarket seat. Allows you to sit much more upright and gives a bend @ your elbow. Makes it easier to turn corners also.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like good advise. It gives me some hope. My husband was wondering if the cables or wires will need to be changed as well. Did you change your foot pegs too? Is it possible to get your phone number so we can call you or can you email or call me? Thank you. Peggy

Spyder Garage

and on your new ride. One of the complaints on the RS model is that they are more like a crotch rocket when it comes to ride position. You like them or not. Shame on the salesperson for giving you the line that it will fit you fine. They got to unload another discontinued 998.

The suggestion to look for different handlebars is right on. Usually, there is no modification of cables necessary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Peggy,

Re: the riding position

I have an '08, and like you I found the riding position to be lacking ( for me ).

I have made a fair number of mods to mine.

Here is a woman about 5' - 7" on my '08)

Spyder-1-1.jpg

This was accomplished by)

- Adding a Corbin seat that will move you slightly forward - at 6' - 0" I had it mod'd to move me back a little

- Adding floor boards

- Adding 4 1/2" handlebar risers ( no longer available - go to the other model handlebars as suggested )

My floorboards)

Spyder-4.jpg

If you would like more info on what all I have done, shoot me an email: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Best of luck & I hope that you can get to fit you as you want,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5