Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Cushion Recommendations?

In another thread, I explained that my left hip (and sometimes my right as well) tends to cramp up when riding my F3-T (stock seat). When it happens I can only find relief by standing up on the pegs and straightening out my leg. It's been suggested that perhaps I should try an AirHawk seat cushion (a LOT cheaper than a new seat), but reading reviews and specs, it seems to be geared more towards relieving "hot spots" on the butt which is not what I'm experiencing.

I would need a good seat cushion that raises my butt off the seat by an inch or two, allowing me to keep my legs extended by just a bit more than they are now. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for a seat to accomplish that and fit the F3-T? (And if AirHawk is still the consensus recommendation, what size is best for the F3-T: Large or Small)?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default AIRHWK

I have the Airhawk R cushion on my F3-S. It will raise you up 1/2 inch or much higher, depending on how much air you put into it. I wouldn't ride my Spyder without my Airhawk!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Airhawk, "R" size large. A newcomer I just saw is "PURPLE". They don't specify motorcycle seats. They call them seat cushions. Started out as a mattress co.. You could look into them as well. Gel pads are another option. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Airhawk R. One caution though, don't put too much air in it you'll feel yourself rolling around on top of it. You want to sit in it not on it.

Ryde Safe
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Spyder Garage

I also use Airhawk R. The key is the amount of air, you have to fine tune it to suit you. You sit in the cushion, not on it. Too much air and you have a bouncy house.

Spyder Garage

Keep the money for a cushion and put it toward a day long custom seat. Over the years I've tried lots of cushions, different seats, always ended up with a Russell Day Long. Now I just get a Day Long as soon as a I get a different bike. Safe Riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, based upon the consensus in this thread, I ordered the large AirHawk R cushion. I wasn't happy about having to pay $42 extra for the large (vs small), but if it does the trick for me, it'll be money well spent.

Hope to get it in a few days!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Well, based upon the consensus in this thread, I ordered the large AirHawk R cushion. I wasn't happy about having to pay $42 extra for the large (vs small), but if it does the trick for me, it'll be money well spent.

Hope to get it in a few days!
    I know you have already ordered the Airhawk, Newbert, but since you specifically wanted an extra inch in height, and all those who recommended the Airhawk stated that you have to have it nearly deflated (otherwise you feel like you are constantly sliding on top of it), I don't know that it will work for you in giving you that extra inch......but here's hoping.

If if doesn't, don't waste any more money on cushions or pads, but bite the bullet and take Trikerbikers advice. Like him, as soon as I buy a new bike, the first thing I do is order a custom Daylong. Sure it costs, but it is made to give you exactly the positioning you need and want.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I know you have already ordered the Airhawk, Newbert, but since you specifically wanted an extra inch in height, and all those who recommended the Airhawk stated that you have to have it nearly deflated (otherwise you feel like you are constantly sliding on top of it), I don't know that it will work for you in giving you that extra inch......but here's hoping.

If if doesn't, don't waste any more money on cushions or pads, but bite the bullet and take Trikerbikers advice. Like him, as soon as I buy a new bike, the first thing I do is order a custom Daylong. Sure it costs, but it is made to give you exactly the positioning you need and want.

Pete
    Pete and Trikerbiker, Thanks so much for your thoughts on this topic. I wasn't even aware of the custom Daylong until now.

I decided to try the Airhawk first though because a) it's significantly less expensive, and b) it's returnable if it doesn't work out (which I should be able to tell pretty quickly). Hoping for the best.

However, I DO have a question or two about the custom Daylong - How the heck can it be customized/personalized if you don't get "measured" in person? And what if it still needs "tweaking" after spending all that $$$ on it?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Pete, TrikerBiker and any other Day Long users/lovers...

for those of us who are unfamiliar and just learning about such modifications, could you please explain just what it is that makes their seat so much better and more comfortable? Is it a matter of molding or custom fitting to the shape of one's butt? Do you submit personal butt measurements or describe where you're feeling sore the most? Is it a matter of better quality, of increased or more comfortable padding? Or is it more about getting the right amount of padding in the exact places needed?

Not trying to delve into trade secrets. Just seriously trying to understand what/how/why it works. I won't begrudge the additional expense as long as the solution works. I just want to try to make the best and proper choice when I do decide. And, like friend newbert, I, too, am seeking a solution cuz I want to stay on my F3 seat longer, ride further and more often, without the aches.

Thanks in advance for anything you care to pass along.
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

With RDL you send them pics of you on the Spyder, as well as your passenger on the Spyder if you have one. Also if you have highway pegs take a pic with you using them. They will also need height, weight and inseam of you both. Hope that helps. You can also tell them you want to sit higher, or lower. Closer to the bars, or further away. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Bushrat,
    The only thing I'd add to Tango's remarks would be to check out their warranty. While you do have to pay return shipping they almost guarantee you'll be a happy camper if you buy one, and most all of us are. You usually wont find any for sale. safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Pete, TrikerBiker and any other Day Long users/lovers...

for those of us who are unfamiliar and just learning about such modifications, could you please explain just what it is that makes their seat so much better and more comfortable? Is it a matter of molding or custom fitting to the shape of one's butt? Do you submit personal butt measurements or describe where you're feeling sore the most? Is it a matter of better quality, of increased or more comfortable padding? Or is it more about getting the right amount of padding in the exact places needed?

Not trying to delve into trade secrets. Just seriously trying to understand what/how/why it works. I won't begrudge the additional expense as long as the solution works. I just want to try to make the best and proper choice when I do decide. And, like friend newbert, I, too, am seeking a solution cuz I want to stay on my F3 seat longer, ride further and more often, without the aches.

Thanks in advance for anything you care to pass along.
    Bushrat/Newbert,

There's no trade secrets involved. The Daylong seat is made specifically for you, based on your existing stock seat. You take a couple of photos of yourself sitting on the stock seat, with your feet both on the ground and on the pegs, and Daylong's experience and software allows them to determine the correct angles needed to ensure your hips are in the right relationship to your knees etc. You also provide them with your body measurements and weight, and this allows them to mould the seat shape to you. The Daylong secret is in the upturned wings each side of the seat that provide support under your outer buttocks (a bit like a just inflated Airhawk does, but more accurately). They also use a heavy duty springing for those over something like 220lbs. You can also give them special instructions relating to physical limitations, such as 1" higher that stock, 2" further back etc. if you get the seat and find it uncomfortable, Daylong will have a couple of goes at tweaking if for you at no charge. I am unaware that they have ever failed. There is also an option, if you are near Shasta Lake, or want to make the trip, of a scheduled ride in fitting.

Some people find the Daylong ugly, and most Daylong riders understand that, but if you want a seat that provides all day comfort, that's the price you have to pay. The fact that you rarely find used Daylong seats in the "for sale" pages shows how effective they are.

Yes, they are more expensive as you have to provide them with a stock seat to modify (can be second hand), but you can reduce this by finding someone with a spare seat that they will loan you while you send your stock seat in for mods.

I have tried just about every seat in the book, and wasted a lot of money doing it, but these days I just cut my losses up front, buy a second hand seat from the US and send it to Daylong for mods.

I hope this helps. Here's a couple of photos of before and after the Daylong was made to fit my 6'7", 300lb frame.

Pete

IMG_0391.jpgIMG_0399.jpgIMG_0392.jpgIMG_0400.jpg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Peteoz, TrikerBiker, Tango...

Great info and background. Thank you so much. I've also now been through the Russell website. Giving very serious consideration.

Cheers.
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would need a good seat cushion that raises my butt off the seat by an inch or two, allowing me to keep my legs extended by just a bit more than they are now.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I believe you have an F3 so if you want to extend legs a little more why not just get a pedal extension from BRP? They run about $40 at the dealer and you can install it yourself.

Joe

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I would need a good seat cushion that raises my butt off the seat by an inch or two, allowing me to keep my legs extended by just a bit more than they are now.

Thanks!
    I believe you have an F3 so if you want to extend legs a little more why not just get a pedal extension from BRP? They run about $40 at the dealer and you can install it yourself.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Ditto. If you have an Se6 you can move the left peg forward to see if it's good for free. I have an airhawk from 1998 which is still saving my butt today. I also run a full Merino sheep skin rug >CLICK ME< from New Zealand to ameliorate the stock seat. Pics show both and I run both at the same time. To hold the Merino I simply sewed on paracord with monkey's fist knots to the back corners and capture them in the saddle bag lids outside of the gasket when I close them.
    left-fur.jpgrear fur.jpgright fur.jpg
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey