Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Have to agree, it does cost bucks to provide a sales, service, and parts department. Lots of overhead going on there to break even.

What is not mentioned is the fact that most service seem to outcost other vehicles by a lot--unless your driving a caddy, bmw, or similar.

I had my break-in service on the Vulcan last week and it was fully a hundred dollars less than the same service done to the .

And most of the time now, we are not seeing certified mechanics either.

And the same dealer sells and services both brands.
    My Honda Goldwings cost almost nothing to maintain. My Harley could easily cost as much or more than the Spyders. The brand and design are key in this conversation.

Spyder Garage

Problem here is not only the charges but the dealers too.
    When they work on your spyder you can see they have no idea about it.
    Sometimes I had have to explain to the mechanic the way to dissasemble some parts.
    I had an oil change and they fill too much the reservoir so I had to return to the service in order to make the oil level
    again cause Spyder lost oil. Is not normal the dealer doesn't know make the oil level of the vehicles they sell.

So as here there are not other mechanichs where I could try I pay the charges expensive and the service is not very good.

I will try to learning as much as possible and only will visit the dealer when with my means and my knowledge doesn't reach
    the answer.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEALERS & STEALERS

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    Problem here is not only the charges but the dealers too.
    When they work on your spyder you can see they have no idea about it.
    Sometimes I had have to explain to the mechanic the way to dissasemble some parts.
    I had an oil change and they fill too much the reservoir so I had to return to the service in order to make the oil level
    again cause Spyder lost oil. Is not normal the dealer doesn't know make the oil level of the vehicles they sell.

So as here there are not other mechanichs where I could try I pay the charges expensive and the service is not very good.

I will try to learning as much as possible and only will visit the dealer when with my means and my knowledge doesn't reach
    the answer.
    .....And will add that it's not UN-COMMON for your Spyder to get damaged and/or missing fasteners at the Stealership , and they will deny it was them ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default cost

Here in Indy one of the dealers charges $140 hr. but $160 for spyders because of the Tupperware removal?? . East Tennessee Atv. charged me $125 for 1.5 hrs. will try to save my maintenance till I go back
    Paul

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Here in Indy one of the dealers charges $140 hr. but $160 for spyders because of the Tupperware removal?? . East Tennessee Atv. charged me $125 for 1.5 hrs. will try to save my maintenance till I go back
    Paul
    Just a thought......would it matter if you removed the tupperware before taking to the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Default TUPPERWARE REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Just a thought......would it matter if you removed the tupperware before taking to the dealer?
    They would be very, very happy if you did , However they are going to charge you the maintenance / repair rate according to the book price ...... and they will pocket the money difference and .....Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    They would be very, very happy if you did , However they are going to charge you the maintenance / repair rate according to the book price ...... and they will pocket the money difference and .....Mike
    Seems as if you could negotiate the labor rate. Perhaps some dealers would and others wouldn't but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Spyder Garage

Default CHARGES

Seems as if you could negotiate the labor rate. Perhaps some dealers would and others wouldn't but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    No it doesn't hurt to ask ..... I'm just informing you what to expect ..... and why !!!! ..... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No it doesn't hurt to ask ..... I'm just informing you what to expect ..... and why !!!! ..... Mike
    I discovered long, long ago that I am worth the going labor rate if not more (because it is my bike so I am extra careful doing the work). I do all my own maintenance and have since the age of 14 (first bike license) - both road and dirt so I don't sweat the labor rate. As I get older it is more difficult to climb in and around the vehicle but I have the satisfaction of knowing more about it than someone who doesn't. It is an investment and has come in very handy when something unexpected happens out in the boonies.

Spyder Garage

Default HONEST ANSWERS

I discovered long, long ago that I am worth the going labor rate if not more (because it is my bike so I am extra careful doing the work). I do all my own maintenance and have since the age of 14 (first bike license) - both road and dirt so I don't sweat the labor rate. As I get older it is more difficult to climb in and around the vehicle but I have the satisfaction of knowing more about it than someone who doesn't. It is an investment and has come in very handy when something unexpected happens out in the boonies.
    RR , I think you missed the point of my answers .... I wasn't putting you down .... In the 3 yrs I have owned my RT I have only taken my Spyder in for WARRANTY WORK , I wrench my bike just like you... also read my post # 28 ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Paul
    This seems very odd. They should love the extra time it takes to remove the plastic. More time equals more money not a higher per hour rate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    My dealer currently charges $110 per hour. Down from $130 a year ago. Add parts, etc. and its not hard to get to those $300 to $350 oil changes that most encounter.
    Just did my oil change purchasing everything as always from Ron. $80.00.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks THAT is pretty ridiculous too ?
    What exactly costs $80 ??
    3 quarts of oil and a filter ?????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks THAT is pretty ridiculous too ?
    What exactly costs $80 ??
    3 quarts of oil and a filter ?????
    5 quarts of synthetic oil, filter, 5 o-rings, 2 crush washers.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    5 quarts of synthetic oil, filter, 5 o-rings, 2 crush washers.
    2 filters. Oil and transmission

Spyder Garage

I have a question:
    Why does synthetic oil last 6,000 miles in a car and only 3,000 - 4,000 in a GS 998?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

I have a question:
    Why does synthetic oil last 6,000 miles in a car and only 3,000 - 4,000 in a GS 998?
    Thanks
    Because Cars don't Also use the same engine oil in the Transmission ..... the transmission causes the oil to Shear much quicker than the engine alone ever will ......... this means the oil Viscosity drops below a safe number ..... hope this helps ...... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had several Harley's and even they don't cost as much to service
    as the Spyders, most dealers in this area charge $125 hr. +parts

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Ever owned a Harley ??

What line of work are (or were) you in ? And how much do you "charge" for your services ??

Shop around; find another shop to do the work.
    Some independents have enough experience to do the basic stuff......and often charge less.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Synthetic oil lasts MUCH MUCH MUCH longer than that, ask your friendly AMSOIL dealer
    I currently have a shop truck with Synthetic oil that has been in it for 2 years, I change the filter
    every 3500 miles and add a quart of oil. the oil is clean I have it tested every 6 months.
    I also have (Had) a GoldWing with well over 40K on the same oil and did the same as the truck above
    change filters and add oil.

I have a question:
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

2 filters. Oil and transmission
    We were discussing the maintenance costs of new spyders. This would indicate a 1330 engine which only gets one filter changed during an oil change but yes, 2 filters for an SE 998, plus 2 orings and 2 crush washers.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

It is a wonderful thing when you are able to do the mechanical stuff on these. Starting with just the Tupperware, it seems way above my pay grade. And...I used to do all the oil changes in my autos and two wheeled motorcycles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Synthetic oil lasts MUCH MUCH MUCH longer than that, ask your friendly AMSOIL dealer
    I currently have a shop truck with Synthetic oil that has been in it for 2 years, I change the filter
    every 3500 miles and add a quart of oil. the oil is clean I have it tested every 6 months.
    I also have (Had) a GoldWing with well over 40K on the same oil and did the same as the truck above
    change filters and add oil.
    Oil analysis of even the almighty amsoil have shown it does not last past 5k in the 1330 Ace engine. Trans and clutch shear it too badly. Rotella fairs pretty well being designed for high shear in high pressure diesel injection systems and turbos but still not past 5k in the Ace. In fairness, my diesel does use 14 qts for an oil change so the shear is spread out a bit further.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

RR , I think you missed the point of my answers .... I wasn't putting you down .... In the 3 yrs I have owned my RT I have only taken my Spyder in for WARRANTY WORK , I wrench my bike just like you... also read my post # 28 ...... Mike
    No offense taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default service

there is big diff between oil change and service so do it your selfers are im sure not going thru the extensive list of things that get checked during a service just my 2 cents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    there is big diff between oil change and service so do it your selfers are im sure not going thru the extensive list of things that get checked during a service just my 2 cents

First the list is not that long and takes less than 10 minutes to complete. Second, many dealers don't do them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame