Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ridiculous maintenance charges

What are the alternatives for getting standard maintenance done like oil change air filters check belts excetera any ideas?
    The price at dealerships is outer space

Spyder Garage

Default one thought

get a repair manual , and owners book of the cycle you have , and start learning your self ! too be a rich toy owner , you have too learn how to repair the toys cheep cheep cheep , but for oil and filter and lubrication of the front end , do it your self is the best way , it is much faster , and you are sure it is done too your liking ... stuff like clutch and easy too get too things should be easy enough , with the repair manual ... did a few things myself from you tube , spyder lovers , and repair manual from amazon ... I did the clutch seals in the 2012 , took 2 days but only cost in the range of 50 dollars , the replacement parts ,and 2 tools to do the job ... going to get into an oil change next weekend

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You haven't mentioned the prices that you are getting...
    Perhaps they're not as bad as you think!
    (Or maybe they are!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmIamDavid View Post
    Ever owned a Harley ??

What line of work are (or were) you in ? And how much do you "charge" for your services ??

Shop around; find another shop to do the work.
    Some independents have enough experience to do the basic stuff......and often charge less.

Spyder Garage

Default Like others have said...

I see it like this...

#1 Do it yourself
    #2 Find a smaller motorcycle shop
    #3 Get used to what your dealer charges (Like Bob said maybe its not that out of whack)

I'm a firm believer (nowadays especially) you get what you pay for.

The dealer for sure can check for computer updates, & any service recalls. Not all small shops will be able to do that.

Spyder Garage

My dealer currently charges $110 per hour. Down from $130 a year ago. Add parts, etc. and its not hard to get to those $300 to $350 oil changes that most encounter.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I found an independent here in Janesville WI (Rock County Cycles) that did the oil change with Valvoline full synthetic and checked everything else out for $95. The Can Am dealers in the area want over $200, Call the real motorcycle shops around your area there should be more cost effective options out there for you. In addition if you want to go to car tires in the future instead of the over priced Kendas you will want to have someone who is willing to do that for you also as most Can Am dealers wont. Good luck!

My Spyder History
    2013 ST Limited - 16,000 miles
    2015 F3s - 48,500 miles
    2016 F3t - TBD

Spyder Garage

From your location I suggest scheduling your maintenance in the early spring or fall when the dealership doesn't have to have armed guards protecting the shop. Seriously, you didn't mention what model Spyder you have but with a service manual you can get online for $30 or so and a nominal suite of tools, Torx bits and metric sockets and Allen wrenches, you can do a lot of the routine maintenance yourself if you have average mechanical ability. There are also a good number of excellent videos that show in superior detail how to do a lot of the routine jobs. If you have an RT and learn the proper way to remove and reinstall the mirrors that's 90% of removing the Tupperware. There are always plenty of contributors here who can offer very good advice and tech tricks.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bboley View Post
    I found an independent here in Janesville WI (Rock County Cycles) that did the oil change with Valvoline full synthetic and checked everything else out for $95. The Can Am dealers in the area want over $200, Call the real motorcycle shops around your area there should be more cost effective options out there for you. In addition if you want to go to car tires in the future instead of the over priced Kendas you will want to have someone who is willing to do that for you also as most Can Am dealers wont. Good luck!
    My local dealer did car tires for me.
    Last edited by JP58; 07-03-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    My dealer currently charges $110 per hour. Down from $130 a year ago. Add parts, etc. and its not hard to get to those $300 to $350 oil changes that most encounter.
    Mine charges $65.00 per hour...

Spyder Garage

Hope he doesn't see post #6
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's getting so that $100 bucks an hour for labor charges is the norm...
    Get into a metropolitan area, and even that price will seem like a flaming bargain!

Spyder Garage

120$ a hour in NYC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    120$ a hour in NYC
    I'm not the least bit surprised.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The price range in within 2 hours of me is $80.00-$150.00/hr.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Dealer here carries multiple brands and charges $100.00 per hour EXCEPT for Can Am. That charge is $120.00

Spyder Garage

Dealers here around Detroit area for a 80 mile radius, is anywhere from 100.00 - 110.00 per hour. Called three dealers yesterday about oil change on a 14RT, and one said 120 plus parts (total around 210) and one was around 250 total, and the other one I forgot. So I went today and spent 86.00 on oil change kit and will do it myself. Just not sure whether to get more miles on it or not. Just had changed at SpyderFest with 8600 miles, and now have 14,7000, so I have about 6,000 miles on oil, but supposedly don't need to change till I hit the 18,000 mile mark , which is another 3,000.

ALOT CHEAPER TO DO THE WORK YOURSELF. Once you do the work, then you will feel more confident about doing it the next time. The first time is really nerve wrecking.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm getting a service manual

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Dealers here around Detroit area for a 80 mile radius, is anywhere from 100.00 - 110.00 per hour. Called three dealers yesterday about oil change on a 14RT, and one said 120 plus parts (total around 210) and one was around 250 total, and the other one I forgot. So I went today and spent 86.00 on oil change kit and will do it myself. Just not sure whether to get more miles on it or not. Just had changed at SpyderFest with 8600 miles, and now have 14,7000, so I have about 6,000 miles on oil, but supposedly don't need to change till I hit the 18,000 mile mark , which is another 3,000.

ALOT CHEAPER TO DO THE WORK YOURSELF. Once you do the work, then you will feel more confident about doing it the next time. The first time is really nerve wrecking.

Hello from Ypsilanti I just paid $170 in Ann Arbor but that was with a discount from $250 (So that's what I'd have to pay next time) However the dealer I purchased from wanted to charge $500 for my first service. I understand it's an expensive toy but that's ridiculous I think. So now I think I'm going to learn to do my own. Easy choice really...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shop around. Dealer prices varies I travel 2 hours 1 way because its about half the price of my local dealer.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First Service

I was taking part in a Hero Dogs ride recently so I had my first service done at 2700 miles. Took my RTL to Hanover, PA (about a 45 mile ride, mostly back roads) to a dealer that I had used for other things. I had been having a problem with the brake pedal not returning to the normal position since I put the larger brake pedal on and asked them to check it, they "tightened" the spring and did the service for $232.00 - I won't go to any other dealer!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on finding a "Keeper"!

Spyder Garage

What are the alternatives for getting standard maintenance done like oil change air filters check belts excetera any ideas?
    Service is expensive. However, if you figure out the real cost to the dealer with a real service facility, trained mechanics, service management, accounting, etc, I am guessing that $100 per hour is a bit of a deal. It costs a good dealer a lot of money to have someone available with the parts to do the job and a place to do it when you want it done. If you want to save some money, learn how to do the simple things yourself. I do oil and filter myself and my dealer does everything else. We are both happy with that arrangement.

Spyder Garage

Have to agree, it does cost bucks to provide a sales, service, and parts department. Lots of overhead going on there to break even.

What is not mentioned is the fact that most service seem to outcost other vehicles by a lot--unless your driving a caddy, bmw, or similar.

I had my break-in service on the Vulcan last week and it was fully a hundred dollars less than the same service done to the .

And most of the time now, we are not seeing certified mechanics either.

The same dealer sells and services both brands here.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-13-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

hey Bob mine won't get out of bed for $65 an hour, try $125 out here

QUOTE=Bob Denman;1275880] Mine charges $65.00 per hour... [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 07-13-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default what did you do ?

hey dave haven`t seen any reply , what did you end up doing ? { if you do take it too a dealer , take the plastic off your self , that cuts down in the price , by hours }