Spyder Garage

Default Park Brake Motor

I noticed recently that my park brake on my 2014 RT-Ltd has been getting weaker.
    Removed the panels to have a look and while engaging the brake (see video attached) the pulley engages and then backs off a bit.
    Reading some post here I believe the brake motor needs to be replaced.
    Wondering if anyone has done this and can it be done without a BUDS hookup?
    Thanks for any & all input!

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Mine is ratchet manually applied so not familiar with the motor operated ones...but it does seem that it is not holding. If the brake is not holding and adjusted correctly it would seem it is time to have the dealer check into it. On the other hand even mine when applied comes back to the next cog on the ratchet. So again it is adjusted correctly and holding even with that little release it may be the way it locks in...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not working

The video shows very little rotation of the pulley when you engage the PB, My PB pulley rotates almost 180 degrees when applied, I would agree the PB motor is probably defective.

Spyder Garage

Default replace

Had a customer who had a parking brake that just would not hold. I adjusted it over and over, but it just would not hold. Took the side panel off, and saw the exact same thing as the OP. Replace motor. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Had a customer who had a parking brake that just would not hold. I adjusted it over and over, but it just would not hold. Took the side panel off, and saw the exact same thing as the OP. Replace motor. Joe
    Thanks Joe!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Mine too

Mine is doing the very same thing..... 2014 RT Limited. 12K miles

David C

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Mine is doing the very same thing..... 2014 RT Limited. 12K miles

David C
    I guess I should have mentioned, my RT has 40,000 kms, 24,000 mi
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Like Timeless & others have already said, I expected to see a LOT more rotation - the PBrake wheel on my 2013 RT Ltd rotates a lot more than yours does! However, just like yours, it does rotate a touch past where it eventually settles & stops once engaged; if you like, mine tightens up some & then turns back a couple of degrees just like yours does. I thought that was necessary to allow the PBrake operation to 'automatically adjust' the brake's grip on the rear brake disc; and that extra cranking action to automatically adjust the brakes is why we need to 'screw' the piston on the rear caliper back in when we change brake pads...

Are you sure your rear brake pads aren't worn so that the rear piston is fully extended & can't tighten up on the disc any more?? I think I'd be checking the rear brake pads & that the calliper operation is doing what it should properly before jumping into replacing the PBrake motor, just to be sure...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Like Timeless & others have already said, I expected to see a LOT more rotation - the PBrake wheel on my 2013 RT Ltd rotates a lot more than yours does! However, just like yours, it does rotate a touch past where it eventually settles & stops once engaged; if you like, mine tightens up some & then turns back a couple of degrees just like yours does. I thought that was necessary to allow the PBrake operation to 'automatically adjust' the brake's grip on the rear brake disc; and that extra cranking action to automatically adjust the brakes is why we need to 'screw' the piston on the rear caliper back in when we change brake pads...

Are you sure your rear brake pads aren't worn so that the rear piston is fully extended & can't tighten up on the disc any more?? I think I'd be checking the rear brake pads & that the calliper operation is doing what it should properly before jumping into replacing the PBrake motor, just to be sure...
    I just put a new tire on yesterday and the pads are in great shape as I replaced them last summer.
    This has been getting gradually worse the last couple months and now I can with a little effort push the bike with the PB engaged.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

my 2014 did the same thing 23000 had to replace the .
    motor

Spyder Garage

As I posted in a different thread, the parking brake on my '15 RT would not hold. The dealer said it was a known issue and the fix was to replace the parking brake motor.

Gunner

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    As I posted in a different thread, the parking brake on my '15 RT would not hold. The dealer said it was a known issue and the fix was to replace the parking brake motor.

Gunner
    , it's a known issue. Mine was replaced at Pit Bull during Spyderfest 2016. They had about 50 on hand for the anticipated need for them. My 2014 RTS had about 7000 miles on it then. No problem since and I'm at about 23,000 miles.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I took it to the dealer to get checked out and it was toast.
    BEST warranty covered it. They also noticed that my fuel pump was noisy so they changed that as well!
    Total bill $52.50!

Thanks for all the reply guys!!!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac