Spyder Garage

Default Pulling a camper

I'm interested in purchasing a microlite twistie TR7 camper does any one have one that they pull with their spider. How does it pull, it looks pretty big to pull. I'm just curious...I taught maybe the tung weight may be too much...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by terril dugas View Post
    I'm interested in purchasing a microlite twistie TR7 camper does any one have one that they pull with their spider. How does it pull, it looks pretty big to pull. I'm just curious...I taught maybe the tung weight may be too much...
    I don't know anything about which Spyder you have or what the specs are on the trailer you're interested in, but it's a simple matter of comparing the weight of the trailer to the Spyder's weight rating and same for the tongue weight.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Brownsburg Chatham Québec Canada & Fort Pierce FL
    Spyder Garage

https://www.facebook.com/77808808565...4607455669319/
    Last edited by Maurice Leduc; 06-30-2017 at 06:49 AM.
    Maurice RV Full Timer
    Spyder RT SM6 2014 Blanc Pearl.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a 2012 RT with an SE-5 in the equation...

As far as the camper:

http://www.microlitetrailer.com/

It does seem a bit heavy. Once it's loaded with gear; the situation will be even more beyond the 400 pound limit that BRP has given us.

I like the trailer by Kompact Kamp.

http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/

They're pretty basic, but they do leave lots of room in the equation for your gear!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-30-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default camper

I think the microlite may be over weight after you get all your gear in it. I'm trailer poor and have tried everything except a teardrop and am thing about building one this winter once the riding season is over. When we want to camp I pull a Aspen trail-master knock-off and my bride pulls the dog trailer or the cargo trailer. My Aspen tops out at 420 pounds completely loaded including a box of firewood and I've put over 20,000 miles on it with two different Spyders , first a 998 now a triple. the 998 had no problem.
    trailer line up.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I don't have a ton of towing miles with mine (Twist TR7) but so far, the 1330 RT hasn't skipped a beat!

Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But he's got a 998, and it might be a bit overmatched...

Spyder Garage

Yeah she'd most likley huff & puff a bit more but there's a guy that pulled a Little Guy Deuce coast to coast with his 998. When I was on the hunt for a trailer I actually got to speak with him and he said it pulled just fine. Now, the Deuce was discontinued so no option there and it was heavier than the Twist.

I believe all manufactures leave a little wiggle room with specs, least that's what I tell myself rolling down the highway at 70 MPH.

Pat

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default trailers and spyders

People - it's NOT about pulling the load .....it's about STOPPING IT !!!!!! ...... your Spyder has great brakes plus ABS your trailer has what ....99.99 % have nothing ......... think about it ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

I never got the allure of a tiny teardrop type trailer. They are cute but all you have room for inside is to crawl in the door and lay down on the bed. No cooking/dining/entertainment table and chairs, no room to stand up and get dressed, just a tiny bed in a heavy package.

I like our pop-up. It starts out at about 300 lbs., has a king-sized bed and a separate living room/kitchen/dressing room that has a ceiling as high as I can reach. When it rained on this trip to the beach we sat inside at the table and read, surfed on the computer, operated HF Amateur Radio or could lay on the bed as we wished.

And yes, we wimped out and towed with the car that year as we had to go late in the season and there was a good chance of rain every day. Beaumer.

20161029_181202 - Copy.jpg

20161027_162926 (Small).jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I love our Aspen Sentry. Queen bed and 5x5 dressing area and less than 400lbs. Spyder loves it!IMG_9290.jpgIMG_4340w.jpg
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Camping Trailer and cargo trailer

The Time Out Deluxe Camper Trailer is 385 pounds unloaded and tongue weight 20 pounds. It has 23 cubic feet of storage. Queen bed and table and lots of room when open. Also towing the Ion cargo trailer that Time Out has gross weight 190 pounds. Both very good with towing.

2015 RT-S Special Series
    Ultimate Seats-Tall boy with backrest and chrome gas door, Extended brake pedal, Tall Windshield, brushed chrome replaced with shiny chrome, Baja Ron anti-sway bar, Tri Axis handlebar, Rivco highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust, ISCI hand brake, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Rivco Trunk mounted double flag holder for American Flag and PA State Flag, Magic Mirrors, Can Am Accessories hitch

Spyder Garage

Default pulling a camper

You may want to look at the Lee-sure Lite trailer, it is one of the lightest and sets up really fast, I think Prairie Spyder had one for awhile but changed to a cargo trailer.
    She may have some input. I wanted one but could not find one for what I wanted to pay , so we settled on the Aspen and really like it. We just got back from a 2,400 mile ride to Glacier Park and had a great time camping out.
    resting in camp.jpg IMG_2039.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    People - it's NOT about pulling the load .....it's about STOPPING IT !!!!!! ...... your Spyder has great brakes plus ABS your trailer has what ....99.99 % have nothing ......... think about it ............ Mike
    I agree, having a trailer "push you" is no fun. You quickly find out that you are not in full control. In fact a "pushing" trailer caused me to have a accident on a two wheeler. I went home and installed a new axle with electric brakes and I no longer have issues.
    I have learned that with the trailer brakes you want to adjust them so that when the brakes on the bike are applied, you do not want to feel the trailer brakes stopping you or pulling on the bike, you shouldn't feel the trailer pushing you, you should not feel the trailers effect on the bike either way. It will take some adjusting of the sensitivity of the brake module to get to that point.

I chose the Prodigy RF brake controller, it mounts on the trailer, not the bike, and then you plug a hand held unit into a 12 volt outlet to adjust the brakes. Once adjustment is completed the handheld unit is unplugged and stored until adjustment is needed again.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a video about the Kompact Kamp unit.

https://youtu.be/3zBPB3rNQEE

Spyder Garage

Default kompact kamp mini-mate

i have this trailer and do like it 265 lbs mt lots of storage pulls great when loaded with gear even in the pouring rain runs and stops well very roomy for one a little crowded for two went to americade this year solo and had a great ride and great camping experience . saw a new trailer there roll-a-home check it out very roomy storage totally accesable tent up or down easy to put up is on the net

Spyder Garage

Hey folks, I think we are talking to ourselves here. Terril posted this on 6/29 and has not responded to anything since.

You are welcome Terril Dugas, so glad I could help you out, no worries!

Talking to ourselves.JPG
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default pulling a camper

I have been looking on youtube for video of campers behind bikes (tr7) (runaway slice) after spending hours looking it seems to be a futile search just got my hitch installed Tuesday trying to get info on pulling 4x6 or 4x8 trailers any help would be great first time posting thanks Craig
    2018 F3s , Gold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I chose the Prodigy RF brake controller, it mounts on the trailer, not the bike, and then you plug a hand held unit into a 12 volt outlet to adjust the brakes. Once adjustment is completed the handheld unit is unplugged and stored until adjustment is needed again.
    I just wanted to put a plug in for the Prodigy RF brake controller. I have used it on a 27" travel trailer and a two horse trailer (pulled by my truck). Works like a charm ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grieppc View Post
    I have been looking on youtube for video of campers behind bikes (tr7) (runaway slice) after spending hours looking it seems to be a futile search
    The YouTube video I posted in the fifth reply here shows a Twist tr7 behind my RT. It's not meant as an informational vid on the trailer/spyder combo but shows it does work.

Pat

Spyder Garage

Default Still shopping

Haven't made any trailer decisions yet
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Controller

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I think the microlite may be over weight after you get all your gear in it. I'm trailer poor and have tried everything except a teardrop and am thing about building one this winter once the riding season is over. When we want to camp I pull a Aspen trail-master knock-off and my bride pulls the dog trailer or the cargo trailer. My Aspen tops out at 420 pounds completely loaded including a box of firewood and I've put over 20,000 miles on it with two different Spyders , first a 998 now a triple. the 998 had no problem.
    trailer line up.jpg
    DO you use electric brakes? If so what kind of controller? Where did you find it? Was it easy to install? I will be towing a Time Out soon and am having trouble finding one. I have a Freedom Trailer.
    TIA

Spyder Diver

Spyder Garage

Do you use electric brakes on your trailer? If so please help me by telling me about it. Where to get one, How easy was it to install etc.

TIA
    SpyderDiver
    Last edited by SpdrDvr; 04-17-2022 at 09:43 PM. Reason: thought I was asking a different person

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The last post in this thread is over 4 years ago. You're unlikely to get any meaningful responses after this much time. Add more info to your question and ask it again in a new thread.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use trailer brakes on both my Bunkhouse and Aspen.
    The Bunkhouse I had an axle made for it with the brakes on it.
    I used the Prodigy® RF Trailer Brake Controller for years on the Bunkhouse, but am switching to the Curtis Echo wirless controler because I can use it with any trailer anytime.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...0-%20Bluetooth
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue